X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fatswillie123
    • Dec 2006

Rotel RSX-1057 versus RSX-1067

Hi just opened my new B & W 804s'. (running them on an old Pioneer pro logic 105 watts) Now, do I go with the Rotel RSX-1057, that I bought but is unboxed, or do I step up and pay $900 more retail and get the RSX-1067. I will be running these 2 speakers only for Ht. Maybe a sub and center channel later, but I doubt it. Maybe stay with the cheaper receiver and add a heavy duty amp later and use the 1057 as the pre...not sure I have room or money for that...your opinions.
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Um, neither if you plan on listening to Dolby Digital or DTS tracks. The current processor in all Rotel surround receivers cannot decode a surround signal and mix it back into less then 5 speakers without a loss of dynamics.

If you plan on sticking with stereo sources (including stereo mixes from DVD's) keep the 1057 and spend the $900 on a stereo amp.

Kevin D.

Comment

• fatswillie123
      • Dec 2006

Interesting Post Kevin, do the Pioneer's or Yammys do a better job at mixing the 5.1 down to 2 channels?. Do you think the Rotel will serve me better than those other brands if I just I stick with the DVD's analog stereo feed? I have heard that the Rotel is more "musical" than the Japanese brands, though my box says it's made in china. Is that talk snobbery or something of substance?

Comment

• OC 335i
        • Dec 2006

I was told the same thing Fatwillie and am interesting on hearing others' answers. I feel I was somewhat pressured into buying the 1057. I originally wanted the Pioneer Elite receiver to go with my P Elite DV-79avi DVD player.

Comment

• calmac
          • May 2005

Guy's rest easy , the Rotels are indeed more musical than their more mainstream competitors.Rotel own their own factories in China so country of origin is a non-issue unless snob appeal is important.
          Pioneer make some great value for money dvd players but their amps have seldom been in the same league as the likes of Rotel.
          Gordon.
          Ps Why did you buy a ht receiver if you are only going to operate in 2 ch?
          Gordon

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by fatswillie123
            Interesting Post Kevin, do the Pioneer's or Yammys do a better job at mixing the 5.1 down to 2 channels?. Do you think the Rotel will serve me better than those other brands if I just I stick with the DVD's analog stereo feed? I have heard that the Rotel is more "musical" than the Japanese brands, though my box says it's made in china. Is that talk snobbery or something of substance?
            Like Gordon said, the factory is a non-issue. I haven't tested other brands for their down-mix ability, but you would be giving up a lot of stereo quality across the board just to get it.

You're probably best served getting a really good stereo receiver, from Rotel or others.

Kevin D.

Comment

• fatswillie123
              • Dec 2006

I went with the HT receiver because for $400.00 retail difference I got the sub preout and if I wanted a center channel I was prepared. Is the RSX-1057 inferior to the RX-1052 for 2 channel? The specs state the RSX-1057 is rated at 100 watt (2 channels driven) the same as the RX-1052.

Comment

• IronBone
                • Feb 2006

Funny, I had the setup that you potentially may have FatsWillie. 3 channel surrond, or what I thought could sound okay. Actually, never thought it would sound great but thought I would use my center until I ran my surrounds. I originally had an HK that did have an option for 3 channel surround. Like Kevin said, LOSS of dynamics, don't even worry about the center if you don't have the rears. I recently purchased the 1057 and tried it before my rears were added, just 3 channels. I ended up watching a few movies in stereo because I lost that much of the audio track in 5.1, which is the only option, nothing less than 5. I would listen to the movies in 2 channel rather than surrond because it sounded that much better. Since then, my 100' of cable has arrived and the surrounds are grrreat!

To answer your question with 2 channel and how musically better it sounds. OH BOY, the HK did a pretty good job in stereo but using the BYPASS mode (true stereo) on the 1057 to listen to music make a huge difference! I actually listened to HD programming presented in 5.1 (Lyle Lovett) in bypass stereo and it was incredible how clean it sounded. I would never recommend you get the 1057 if you are not going to use it for more than 2 channels but if you have want the future option for 5 channel than I would say go for it. If you are looking at using the 1057 for 3 channel surround, than don't bother you won't like it. I'm with the others on if you're looking for 2 channel than don't waste your time with 1057 go with a 2 channel system. If you'd looking for 3 channel surrond, it's never going to sound that great anyway so stick with 2 channel.

I know I've mumbled on a little but I hope it helps. Bottom line, HT is 5.1 or nothing in Rotel. If you're looking for 2 channel than buy a 2 channel system and don't waste your time with some PSEUDO 3 channel surround.

Comment

• calmac
                  • May 2005

HI FW.You have purchased a great pair of speakers and an amp that while it is way above average for a ht reciever is nowhere near good enough to get the best from the speakers.If you intend to stay 2 ch only then I would ask your dealer if you can exchange the 1057 for an RC1070 /RB1070 as an absolute minimum and preferably a RC1090/RB1080 COMBO.If you need to use a sub then having a stereo preamp with two set of outputs ,like the Rotels, makes this easy.The difference in sound quality between good ht gear doing stereo and stereo only equipment doing stereo is massive imo and revisiting the amp choice will pay large dividends in your musical enjoyment.Just buy one of Rotel's entry level tuners if you need a radio.
                  Gordon

Comment

• fatswillie123
                    • Dec 2006

Hi Calmac, very interesting suggestion on the Rotel seperates, cheaper than the RSX-1067 by $1,000. My main listening is cable TV and DVD's, and CD's. My only speakers wil be the pair of 804's. Since I would be downmixing the Dolby digital from 5.1 to 2 channel, maybe the basic stereo track will sound better anyway. Your thoughts?

Comment

• calmac
                      • May 2005

Hi Calmac, very interesting suggestion on the Rotel seperates, cheaper than the RSX-1067 by $1,000. My main listening is cable TV and DVD's, and CD's. My only speakers wil be the pair of 804's. Since I would be downmixing the Dolby digital from 5.1 to 2 channel, maybe the basic stereo track will sound better anyway. Your thoughts?
                      If you are not going to go the 5.1 speaker route then there is little doubt that quality stereo seperates will give you a much greater level of sound quality for your money.A well setup stereo system can have a very enveloping effect anyway , ht is fun and the level of fidelity is ever increasing but I think that few would argue that stereo is still where it's at where real sound quality is required.
                      Gordon

Comment

• yourtoys7
                        • Feb 2006

1057 + 1080amp., for same money as 1067 (almost).
                        Sony AT 150" 16x9 screen
                        PSB T6,
                        Velodyne SPL 1000R
                        Rotel RSX-1057
                        Rotel RB-1070
                        OPPO 103
                        Apple TV
                        [

Comment

• fatswillie123
                          • Dec 2006

How big of a no no is stacking the pre-amp on top of the amp?, can I stack a DVR on top of the amp and then the pre-amp on top of that. My space is very very limited.

Comment

• lvhung
                            • Jun 2005

Rotel 1057 + 1080 would be exellent for BW set=up

Comment

• Boombox
                              • Oct 2005

a VERY big NO-NO

How big of a no no is stacking the pre-amp on top of the amp?, can I stack a DVR on top of the amp and then the pre-amp on top of that. My space is very very limited.
                              I had limited space too and stacked my very first, brand new Yamaha DVD player on top of my Rotel RA932 integrated amp. It lasted 30min of movie time on top of the amp. I had the volume up to about the 12 o'clock position (this was my first DVD movie I'm watching), and the heatsinks literally cooked the underside of the new DVD player...; picture started breaking up, then froze!!! After about 10mins of cooling down, I could get the DVD out.....end result: don't know, but what I can say is that the picture was never as rich and bright anymore....something must have melted inside...
                              Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"