X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • See-Fu
    • Oct 2006

RSX 1057 buzz, HELP.

My equipment consisted fo the follow before I added an amp.

RSX 1057, TV, Xbox 360 & DVD player. SPeakers were B&W 603 and a LCR600.

WHen I had this setup everything worked out fine, no buzzing. However once I added a Krell amp, I started to notice a buzzing noise from both the tweeter and midrage. What I discovered is that with each video output that is being used by the rotel receiver, the buzz get's louder and louder. EG. I removed the component out and hdmi out on the rsx1057. WHen I attached the component out and attached the other in (component in) on the TV, the buzz got louder. The same applied for HDMI. THe buzz was the same volume with the tv on and off. However If I completetly disconnected the TV from the wall outlet, the buzz was gone. Can someone help me out on what's causing the problem
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Sounds like the TV may be on a different ground then the rotel equipment. Is everything (tv included) plugged into the same outlet?

Kevin D.

Comment

• See-Fu
      • Oct 2006

Everything except the Krell amp is plugged to a powerstrip. The krell amp is plugged directly to the wall socket.

Comment

• See-Fu
        • Oct 2006

A local shop told me to try something with the tv power plug. They told me to take the power plug and plug it into one of those converters that takes it from a 3 to 2 plug prong. THen file off the thicker side so that both prongs are of the same width. The reason for filing off the thicker prong is so that I could then reverse the plug and plug it into the outlet backwards. When I tried this the noise got significantly worse.

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Do you have cable/sattelite? Where's it plugged in at? Try unplugging the cable/DSS source feed and see if the noise goes away.

Kevin D.

Comment

• See-Fu
            • Oct 2006

Yes I have a cable box, but I have already unplugged it.

Comment

• See-Fu
              • Oct 2006

Would one of those monster power conditioners do anything? Right now I'm just ocnnected with a cheap power strip that doesn't really do much other than give me more outlets.

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

You can try grounding the krell to the 1057 with an additional thick cable (just connect some case screws together). Or you can try the cheater plug on the krell.

Any power center isn't going to do much, you need to find the source of the problem.

Kevin D.

Comment

• See-Fu
                  • Oct 2006

So it looks like its a grounding issue w/ the rotel receiver and the krell amplifier? Not the TV?

Comment

• Kevin D
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2002

It's probably still a grounding issue with the TV that never caused a problem until the ground from the Krell was introduced.

Kevin D.

Comment

• bigburner
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

See-Fu, this article may be of use to you.

If that solution is too hard to implement then get a double adapter, saw off the earth pin, and put the modified adapter in between your TV and the wall outlet. If that doesn't work put the modified adapter in between your Krell amp and the wall outlet instead.

If either of these eliminates the buzz your big challenge will be what to do next. The solution I have described is potentially dangerous if the item plugged into the modified adapter develops an electrical fault, and should therefore be treated as a short term solution only.

Nigel.

Comment

• See-Fu
                        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Kevin D
                        It's probably still a grounding issue with the TV that never caused a problem until the ground from the Krell was introduced.

Kevin D.

If this is the case how do I fix the problem?

Comment

• See-Fu
                          • Oct 2006

I just tried grounding the receiver and the amplifier together and no change. I also tried connecting the amp to a 3 to 2 prong converter and hooked it straight up to the wall outlet. No change again. I also tried using one of those monster power line conditioners. No change with that eiterh. What else should I look into?

Comment

• Kevin D
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2002

How loud is the buzz? Can you hear it more then 2 feet away from the speaker?

Have you gone through and read the webpage Nigel linked to?
                            The bottom line is ground-loop hums can be very hard to track down and there is no magic fix. We can only offer advice to a point, but without being there it's not easy.

Just to verify, everything that is connected to your system somehow (TV, subwoofer, all equipment, everything) is all plugged into the same wall outlet in someway or another right?

We need to know about anything that is wired into your system and plugged into a different outlet. Your subwoofer (which could easily be plugged somewhere else) might have caused the ground-loop, but it might not appear until the combination of the TV and Krell came into play.

Kevin D.

Comment

• See-Fu
                              • Oct 2006

Kevin,

I can hear the buzz from 15 feet away. I have just the 2 front speakers + a center channel. The xbox is plugged to the receiver via component & RCA's. The dvd player is connected to the receiver via HDMI cables. The cable box is connected to the receiver via S-video cables. From there, 1 set of Components, HDMI, and s video cables output from the receiver and into the tv. The tv also has an OTA antenna connected to it. Audio flows from the tv into the receiver via rca's. All the power cords are plugged to the same power strip with the exception of the amp. The amp is plugged directly into the wall. Not sure if you could call it the same outlet, but it's right on top of the wall outlet that I plug the power strip into.

I did read through the page that Nigel linked, but I don't understand a large majority of it at this point.

Comment

• See-Fu
                                • Oct 2006

Fixed!!@!!

Turns out I needed to put some shorting pins into the krell amp. There's a very very slight hum still but you don't notice it unless i'm like less than 1/2 ft away from the speaker. THanks for everyones help

Comment

• Kevin D
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2002

Good deal! Something I would have never came close to coming up with.

Kevin D.

Comment

• See-Fu
                                    • Oct 2006

It was so wierd because w/o the shorting pins in place I had an extremely loud buzz, but when I took it to a relatives house, the buzz we got there wasn't as loud. Infact the buzz at my relatives house was just slightly louder than what it is at my house with the shorting pins in place.

Comment

• Club1820
                                      • Jan 2006

Glad you figured it out!

Shorting pins? What are those?
                                      Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• See-Fu
                                        • Oct 2006

With krell amps if you don't use the balanced inputs you have to short pins 1 and 3 on the balance input plug. It looks like a U that's made of metal

Comment

• See-Fu
                                          • Oct 2006

The 603's definitely benefited from the additional power though. went from 75 watts/channel to 250watts/channel.

Comment

Working...
                                          😀
                                          😂
                                          🥰
                                          😘
                                          🤢
                                          😎
                                          😞
                                          😡
                                          👍
                                          👎
                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                          Search Result for "|||"