X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Prost1986
    • Dec 2006

1068 Sub hookup

Good day all…

Currently I have a velodyne SPL10 sub hooked to the sub out on my 1068 which is only used for movies. I would like to also be able to use the sub in 2ch bypass. After my SACD/DVD STB I hooked my cd player up the multi channel inputs and turned the LF redirect on and was pleased with the increased weight added to the system for listening to music. To use the sub for all inputs (so that TT, ipod and gamming ect can use the sub also) I was thinking about using the main line out to feed the sub (it has a line level high pass filter at 80Hz) then to the amp. I have a pair of B&W 703’s for main speakers.

Would the 80Hz filter be too high for the 703’s? (They start rolling off at about 45Hz in my room)

How much can I expect the quality of the signal to be degraded by passing it though the Sub first?

If the 80Hz is to high of a crossover point could the signal be split to run one set though the Sub then to an amp then to the 703’s (mid range and tweeter) the other pair running straight to another amp and driving the woofers in the 703’s. this way could let the 703’s roll off naturally and the low pass crossover could then be adjusted on the sub.

Or does this seem like waayyy to much trouble and just leave things as they are?

Any thoughts?
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Prost1986
    Good day all…

I was thinking about using the main line out to feed the sub (it has a line level high pass filter at 80Hz) then to the amp. I have a pair of B&W 703’s for main speakers.
    Sounds good.

Would the 80Hz filter be too high for the 703’s? (They start rolling off at about 45Hz in my room)
    Might be a little too high, I've got my CDM-9's (older 703 type speaker) set to 60hz. Can't hurt to try.

How much can I expect the quality of the signal to be degraded by passing it though the Sub first?
    The would depend on the quality of the internals in the sub and your RCA cables. I wouldn't expect much if any degredation.

If the 80Hz is to high.....Or does this seem like waayyy to much trouble and just leave things as they are?
    I'm not exactly sure what you posted would even work as expected, but if the 80hz is too high, there are other solutions!

The Paradigm X-30 basically does what the subwoofer does, but has adjustable crossover points.

Paradigm X-30 specs

Or if you can find a used Outlaw Audio ICBM, it will handle all 5 channels and do the bass management for you in analog.

Just remember to set the sub to off and fronts to large so you will get all the bass from digital sources.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Sticky Hawk
      • Sep 2006

I have a RSX-1057 and a DD-15, can I also run the sub while at the same time using the by-pass (so I can use my 1072 DAC's). If so I was looking at the back of my unit and I am not sure I understand the "main line" out that PROST1986 is talking about (maybe only on a 1068?). Sorry if this is silly but I do like the support the sub gives my 804S, but many on the board say the 1072's DAC's are better. Just trying to get the best of both worlds.

Comment

• Kevin D
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Oct 2002

Its not something you can do with just your 1057. You would have to add an external amp to run your front speakers. Basically line-out of the receiver to the sub and line out from the sub to an amp.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Prost1986
          • Dec 2006

Thanks

I did give it a try and it blends in very well. The sub crossover is actually set at 120Hz. There was a drop off of about 6db at 80Hz ( not sure if it was the 703 or my room) that the sub helps fill. I had to put the plugs in the ports of the 703s and move the farther into the room.

Now that the sub is off for digital sources will LF still be redirected from the center and surrounds to the main speakers? Also where should the crossover be set for the mains? Or is it now defeated because there is no sub?

Sticky Hawk,

I’m not sure about the 1057 but with the 1068 I could hook my 1072 to the muti-ins and turn the LFE redirect “on” and the sub is feed a L+R signal. Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I do not think that digital processing is used for this.

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Prost1986
            Thanks
            Now that the sub is off for digital sources will LF still be redirected from the center and surrounds to the main speakers? Also where should the crossover be set for the mains? Or is it now defeated because there is no sub?
            If you now have nothing plugged into the sub-out on the 1068, you need to set the fronts to large and sub to no. This will route everything from the other channels to the fronts and the then the sub crossover will handle the separation. With fronts set to large, the crossover setting on the 1068 has no effect.

Sticky Hawk,

I’m not sure about the 1057 but with the 1068 I could hook my 1072 to the muti-ins and turn the LFE redirect “on” and the sub is feed a L+R signal. Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I do not think that digital processing is used for this.
            Correct this will work for that scenario. I believe the subwoofer signal is digitally created, but the others outputs remain in full analog. If he has a DVDA/SACD connected to the multi-in's he's out of luck without an amp.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Sticky Hawk
              • Sep 2006

Kevin I hate to be a pest but I have a 1077 bi-amped and running the front speakers (as well as the surrounds and the front). The 1057 runs the rear and the zone 2 (when I use it)......this leaves me one amp channel I am not using. I am not sure I can do what you are saying (line out from the sub to the amp meaning the 1077?)

PROST1986 I think I understand what you are saying but I am not sure I have the 1077/1057/DD-15 connected correctly to support this. I will try and look again tonight at what is back there.

Comment

• Tasmon
                • Dec 2006

For two channel bypass, I run my rcd1072 into the multi input of the rsp1068 and turn the LFE redirect on. The B&W sub runs through a Velodyne sms-1 peq were I can adjust the 100 Hz cross down and adjust the slope of the crossover to blend into the mains. The sms-1 displays the graph of response on my TV. For HT, I use the rsp1068 crossover and the sms-1 crossover is defeated. For me this gives me the best of both worlds. Two channel bypass with a sub and HT with a sub but crossed differently mains set to small were the rsp 1068 handles all bass managment with no setup during playback, which is important to the wife and the 8 year old.

Comment

• Kevin D
                  Ultra Senior Member
                  • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Sticky Hawk
                  Kevin I hate to be a pest but I have a 1077 bi-amped and running the front speakers (as well as the surrounds and the front). The 1057 runs the rear and the zone 2 (when I use it)......this leaves me one amp channel I am not using. I am not sure I can do what you are saying (line out from the sub to the amp meaning the 1077?)
                  Well that's different! You can certainly do the same. I'm attaching a picture of the back of your sub, follow along with it:

1) Unplug the cables coming out of the front outputs of the 1057 going to the 1077 inputs.

2) Unplug the subout cable going from the 1057 to the dd15

3) Plug new cables into the front outputs of the 1057 and run them to the stereo inputs on the dd15 (#11 in the picture)

4) Plug the cables you removed in #1 into the outputs of the DD15 (#10 in the picture)

5) In the 1057's menu set the front speakers to LARGE and the subwoofer to NO.

This changes the subwoofer management duty from the 1057 to the DD15. The front speakers will be fixed at 80hz (like Prost's sub), but you should be able to set the sub crossover to a good level to blend.

This give's a subwoofer with EVERY mode, including bypass.

Kevin D.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• Sticky Hawk
                    • Sep 2006

:T Thanks to you both I will try this on the weekend!

Comment

• shades
                      • Mar 2005

I’m not sure about the 1057 but with the 1068 I could hook my 1072 to the muti-ins and turn the LFE redirect “on” and the sub is feed a L+R signal. Someone correct me if I’m wrong but I do not think that digital processing is used for this.[/QUOTE]

I'm looking to do the same thing with my sub, but to clarify things for me a little better, which inputs do you use on the multi ins??? and then connect to the HF of the sub and then the LF goes out to the 2 channel amp??

Sorry, i'm a little green when it comes to bypass with sub. Also does this configuration work with HT as well.

My setup is: 1056 powering center and surrounds, bryston 3bst to the mains.
                      Thanks for any help guys.

Peter
                      B&W, McIntosh, Rotel, PS3, OPPO, Pioneer, Cat Cables, Sound Anchors

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"