X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • focus
    • Mar 2006

Upgrade to RCD 1072?

Thinking about upgrading my cd, for the moment i have a Marantz 5001 which i use the digital output from and use the RSX 1067:s internal DAC. I was wondering if i would notice any difference, sonic wise, by letting a RCD 1072 do the DA conversion instead? Is the DAC better on the RCD than the RSX?
  • peterS
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

yes.

Comment

• focus
      • Mar 2006

Thanks Peter! Have you compared, what was the bigggest diffrence, highs, mids or bass or allover?

Comment

• chinets
        • Jun 2005

YES! Without any doubt!

Comment

• Navin R. Johnso
          • Apr 2006

The 1072 is a nice upgrade, definately worth a trial listen. Take your current player into your dealer and try them both out, or get a demo 1072 to bring home.

One thing to be sure and do is run the 1072 analog signal into your receiver in the analog-passthrough mode.

Comment

• Ted
            • May 2006

I recently purchased a 1072. I've been very happy with it, I don't think you can go wrong. Just my 2 cents...

Ted
            Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• focus
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Navin R. Johnso
              One thing to be sure and do is run the 1072 analog signal into your receiver in the analog-passthrough mode.
              Of course i'll use analog outputs but with "bypass" i don't have the bass management which i need. Actually i can't hear any diffrence between bypass and ordinary mode, do you?

Thank You

Fredrik

Comment

• chinets
                • Jun 2005

Focus,
                You should be able to hear a big difference between Bypass and ordinary Stereo mode.

You are welcome!
                Cheers

Comment

• focus
                  • Mar 2006

Originally posted by chinets
                  Focus,
                  You should be able to hear a big difference between Bypass and ordinary Stereo mode.
                  If i hear a difference, is there any way to still use bass direction?

Comment

• Navin R. Johnso
                    • Apr 2006

Sort of. You can run the CD feeds into your "multi" input instead of "CD". Then there is a bass functionality there that sums all of the signal and sends it to your .1 channel without any digital conversion and processing. So it gets you a signal to your sub but also still sends the entire full range signal to your mains.

That may not count as bass direction for your needs, but will get a signal to your sub while remaining in passthrough mode in your receiver.

Comment

• focus
                      • Mar 2006

Navin R. Johnso Thank you very much!

By the way i did a test between the two options and the difference was so small, so in my case i'll go for stereo mode. One should know that i have a budget cd player (marantz 5001) and maybe that explains the resault?

Another one: Is it waste of money, buying for for ex. a RCD 1072 if i'm still using the "stereo mode" since the audio gets digtal anyway??
                      What do you think?

Sorry for my poor english

Comment

• chinets
                        • Jun 2005

Focus, Not is BYPASS it wouldn't. Stereo mode is digital as your processor is using it's dacs etc.. but Analogue in Bypass, then the DACs of your CD player, in this case 1072 ,will be using it's own DACs and that would and should sound way better. Smoother, warmer, more sounstage and 3D, than if you use Digital mode.
                        Try both ways ans seriously tell us what you think in sound terms?
                        And YES, 1072 should be a better option and not a waste of money.
                        If you keep your Marantz 5001 as a transporter, buy then a DCA 1 benchmark and then have it in Bypass ,and tell us what you think now?. It is the DACs that count in your case.
                        Cheers

Comment

• focus
                          • Mar 2006

Is it waste of money, buying for for ex. a RCD 1072 if i'm still using the "stereo mode" since the audio gets digtal anyway??
                          I'm aware that if i want to use the DACs from the cd i'll have to use "bypass". but then again i don't have the bass dircetion..

So do i win anything with a better cd player, IF i'm using stereo mode?

Comment

• Nolan B
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Sep 2005

Originally posted by focus
                            I'm aware that if i want to use the DACs from the cd i'll have to use "bypass". but then again i don't have the bass dircetion..

So do i win anything with a better cd player, IF i'm using stereo mode?
                            I eould say probably not, and I asked the same question when I got my 1072. It may even sound a little worse then just a regular ditigal connection because it will transcode the signal from digital to analog in your 1072, then from analog to digital back to analog in your 1068. What type of sub do you have?

My PV1 allows you to connect via the coax, AND a stereo connection which connects right to the L and R speaker connection on your amp. This way you can run your 1072 in bybass and get a signal to your sub. :T

Comment

• focus
                              • Mar 2006

I have a REL Strata 5. But i want the sub to play below 60 hz and the fronts (dynaudio focus) over 60 hz. So if i'm using the bypass mode i'll need external filters.

Comment

• Nolan B
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by focus
                                I have a REL Strata 5. But i want the sub to play below 60 hz and the fronts (dynaudio focus) over 60 hz. So if i'm using the bypass mode i'll need external filters.
                                isnt ther just an adjustment on the sub itself?

If you run bypass your fronts will get the full signal and your sub will kick in as high as you have the filter set.

I dont think you can do what you want n bypass

Comment

• focus
                                  • Mar 2006

isnt ther just an adjustment on the sub itself?

If you run bypass your fronts will get the full signal and your sub will kick in as high as you have the filter set.
                                  Yes there is, but then i won't be able to cut the fronts att 60 hz, otherwise i'll have double bass.
                                  I dont think you can do what you want n bypass
                                  I'm afraid you're right.

I definitely need external LP and HP filters, since i want them to have equal slopes.

Comment

Working...
                                  😀
                                  😂
                                  🥰
                                  😘
                                  🤢
                                  😎
                                  😞
                                  😡
                                  👍
                                  👎
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"