X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nvdeynde
    • Jun 2004

Rotel RMB-1095 and heat dissipation / required free space

Hi,

I'm considering buying a Rotel RMB 1095 power amplifier.
    I'm just concerned that I don't have enough free space in my rack to dissipate the heat that the amplifier generates.

I have an open Sonus Elite Rack, on all 4 sides there's plentyu of open space left, just on the top side I have only 8mm free space left at the top of the amplifier.

I'm afraid that won't be enough to loose the heat it generates or does it loose most of his heat through the large heatsinks at the front ?

Another option is the RMB 1075, also THX Ultra, but with less power.
    My speakers are 4x B&W 604DM S3 and LCR60 center speaker.

My current amplifier is a Yamaha RX-V795 which I would use a pre-amp for the Rotel.
    DVD player is a Rotel RDV 1060.

So i'm looking for advise regarding the heat dissipation and wether or not it will cooperate well with my Yamaha RX-V795 amplifier as pre-amp.

Regards,

Nico
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

I would suggest going with the RMB-1075. Should be plenty of power to drive your 604s, which are pretty high sensitivity (90dB). The 1075 is rated at 120x5, but its actual power has been been rated higher in various reviews. The 1075 will also provide the extra space that you definitely need for heat dissipation.

I currently use the RMB-1075 to drive my 805S and HTM4S, and couldn't be happier.
    Brad

Comment

• nvdeynde
      • Jun 2004

Regarding both amplifiers: 1075 and 1095: Do they become (very) hot even when playing at very low volume's ?

My Yamaha remains pretty cold even when playing for hours as long as he's playing very silent. When you crank up the volume only then it becomes warm or hot depending how far you push it.

With my basic knowledge of electronics it seems logical that the 2 huge transformers of the 1095 shouldn't heat up too much when he's paying on low volume or am I wrong here ?

I would buy the 1095 for it's dynamics + THX Ultra certification + huge amount of power.

I'm satisfied with by B&W 604DM monitors but the Yamaha sounds a but harsh and doesn't procude the warm sound that I like.
      Of course I'm realistic: the Yamaha is a good amplifier for it's price, good value, but not good enough to get the best out of my speakers I think.

Nico

Comment

• focus
        • Mar 2006

My RB 1070 never gets hot even when i play loud. But the pre amp does. (RSX 1067 only pre amp in 2CH mode)

Comment

• DSGCobra
          • Feb 2003

My 1095 doesn't get hot unless you really drive it. and even then I have never had a "thermal event"

Comment

• nvdeynde
            • Jun 2004

Hi,

How much free space does your RMB 1095 have on the top ?

Is it in an open or closed rack ?

Thanks,

Nico

Comment

• chrispy35
              • Feb 2004

Originally posted by nvdeynde
              Hi,
              I'm afraid that won't be enough to loose the heat it generates or does it loose most of his heat through the large heatsinks at the front ?
              The heatsinks on the front are for decoration only afaik. The output devices are mounted to internal heatsinks that rely on airflow out of the top vents.

Chris P.

Comment

• nvdeynde
                • Jun 2004

Hi,

When I saw a photo of the inside of the 1095 amplifier, the 2 large mains transformers are at the front of the amplifier and appear to be directly connected to the 2 front heat sinks so in my humble opinion they take most of the heat and are not just for decoration only.

His 8 capacitors are in the back below the amplifiers and capacitors generally don't become very hot.
                His amplifiers that drive the speakers will become (very) hot, that's a fact.

Nico

Comment

• DSGCobra
                  • Feb 2003

Hi,

How much free space does your RMB 1095 have on the top ?

Is it in an open or closed rack ?

Thanks,

Nico
                  none. is this an open rack?...

Comment

• nvdeynde
                    • Jun 2004

The picture is a bit dark. I suppose the amplifier(s) are just below the center speaker with zero space on top of the amp.

And they stay cool even with other components stacked on top of them ?
                    It's almost unbelievable.

I'm getting very contradictive replies here which makes it hard for me to make a decision.

My dealer even doesn't have the RMB 1095 or 1075 in his showroom. He does have the stereo 1080 version.
                    He only sells a few pieces of these a year.

There are no trade in programs like in the USA, here in Europe things are very different: so bought is bought, case closed.

Nico

Comment

• PewterTA
                      • Nov 2004

my 1095 stays decently warm, but I have about an inch towards the front clear and about 1 1/2 - 2 inches in the back clear (tilted above shelf). The back of the unit is enclosed and there's a glass covering the front with only about 4 inches on the side. It got warm enough in there where I was afraid of over heating (but it never did), so I added 2 120mm PC fans to the top of the unit to help move the heat. It has made a difference, I just really need to mount the fans to the back wall to draw the heat out of the shelving system.

The 1095 can run pretty warm without having to worry, I've had it so hot I couldn't touch the top of the amp for fear of burning myself...and it didn't crap out (that's when I decided to add some fans). Course I guess that coupled with the 1098 in there, they produce the heat when the theater is pumping. Can't wait to get my 1080 put in there as well. lol.
                      Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                      -Dan

Comment

• mike c
                        • Dec 2005

perhaps you can add some fans like pewter did.

Comment

• Nolan B
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Sep 2005

why not look at the 1077...small and not heat. Does that not solve everything? I have mind in a space with 0 room on the side and 2 inches above...never gets more then luke warm.

Comment

• DL86
                            • Sep 2005

I've got a rb-1090 and it gets quite hot when the volume is increased. Cooler when its not played as loud.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                              • May 2004

I've got a 1075 within a rack that is closed on the sides, and about 2 inches of space on top. During the summer season, the amp runs a bit hotter to the touch obviously. This time of the year, the amp is much cooler to the touch. I do have Klipsch speakers that are rated at 98db sensitivity, so maybe that's why I don't think I have a heat issue with my 1075. What you can also do is to pull the 1075/1095 a few inches out of the rack so the top of the vents have a clear path to dissipate the heat within.

Comment

• chinets
                                • Jun 2005

I have the 1095 for HT, and use it like crazy everyday at high volumes and for hours upon end ( Hint: I have teenager sons ) and had no heat problems and it is in a tight cabinet! I think you will be fine.
                                Cheers

Comment

• BWzes03
                                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by chrispy35
                                  The heatsinks on the front are for decoration only afaik. The output devices are mounted to internal heatsinks that rely on airflow out of the top vents.

Chris P.
                                  Actually, the 1095 is as you are well aware of, a 5-channel design. The internal side heatsinks are used to dissipate the front and rear 4 channels and the centre channel is dissipated through the front panel heatsink.

The 2-channel 10x0 series are styled the same, but use the heatsink on the front panel for decoration only, to complete the overall look of a mixed 10x0 series stack.

Comment

• chrispy35
                                    • Feb 2004

Originally posted by BWzes03
                                    Actually, the 1095 is as you are well aware of, a 5-channel design. The internal side heatsinks are used to dissipate the front and rear 4 channels and the centre channel is dissipated through the front panel heatsink.

The 2-channel 10x0 series are styled the same, but use the heatsink on the front panel for decoration only, to complete the overall look of a mixed 10x0 series stack.
                                    I stand corrected!

Chris P.

Comment

• nvdeynde
                                      • Jun 2004

Correct height of RMB 1095

Hi,

Can someone provide me with the correct hight of the RMB 1095 amplifier including the feed by measuring your own amplifier ?

It's a matter of millemeters that I have left at the topside and I want to make sure it fits.

I know the official height but experience ( with other products / vendors ) has learned me that the numbers are sometimes not 100% accurate.

In my situation, a few millimeters more matters a lot when you have less than 1cm of free space left above if you take the official height number

Thanks,

Nico

Comment

• Warpdrv1
                                        • Dec 2006

I believe from what I have read, these measurements are with the feet...
                                        Please correct me if Im wrong, I also am very interested in this unit, great bang for the buck, and as with some others, size will be very important for me as well.. Looks like I will be buying some fans to go with it...
                                        Don't want my equipment to feel the heat... :hb
                                        Rotel 1095
                                        440 x 240 x 398 mm
                                        17 1/8 x 9 3/8 x 15 in

Comment

• nvdeynde
                                          • Jun 2004

Hi,

All the units regarding the measurements and required rack space I wrote are in cm or mm, no inches or feet :-)

I did buy the RMB 1095 amplifier and it's doing his mandatory running-in period now.

The guy's from the Hifi-Store hammered to do a long run/burn-in during the first 100 hours. So in other words: play very calm and silent with it...

I think it's necessary as the first 2 days the amp sounded awfull. It's the 4rd day now, it's becoming better, but not 100% yet.

If you have the space and money I can recommand 3 stereo RB 1080 amps for a 6ch channel setup.

I had these on trial for a week and the sound was superb.

As for the heat dissipation: In an open rack like mine ( Sonus Elite Hifi ), with even less than 1cm of open space on the top, the 1095 ampifier does not overheat.
                                          It's turned on 24/24 for 2 days and with 3 temperature probes on top of it to monitor the heat that comes out, it does not get hotter than 37 °C, which is relatively low and certainly not enough to go into protection.
                                          My pre-amp gets hotter than this.

Does anyone know how high the inside temperature may go until it goes into protection ?

Anyway with the demo of the 3 RB 1080 amps: I just put them on top of eachother and played with them for several hours very loud: the temperature would go to 56 °C at the top but they didn't go into protection.

So unless you are planning to put the amp into a closed rack, I would not add extra fans or so.

What's important is that you have a clean power source with plenty of reserve at the amp can consume up to 10 Amps of power at 230 volts.

Good Luck,

Nico

Originally posted by Warpdrv1
                                          I believe from what I have read, these measurements are with the feet...

Looks like I will be buying some fans to go with it...
                                          Don't want my equipment to feel the heat... :hb
                                          Rotel 1095
                                          440 x 240 x 398 mm

Comment

• kpodolski
                                            • Jun 2006

I have a RMB-1095 & RB-1090 with a shelf above that only has about 1 1/4" clearance. My intention was to purchase longer threaded rods to create more clearance. My setup has been this way for several weeks (since I bought a new center channel speaker) with no issues of undue heat. In fact, I'm amazed at how cool these amps run. Also, my equipment is usually on 24/7.

Attached Files
                                            The second place winner is the first place loser.

An argument with reality is one you'll never win.

If you are offended, you are complicit in the outrage.

It's better to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

"Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser." Gen. Patton

Comment

• PewterTA
                                              • Nov 2004

I never drove my 1095 really hard (well maybe never really hard ever), but I normally listen about ~-15db under refererence on the normal. I thought the same as you, I never thought the amp sounded the first week or so I had it in use. After about putting 100 or more hours on it, it started sounding better (bass really filled in, which I thought was very lacking at first). The best thing I did though was after the 100 hours was on it, I turned it up to reference level (0db) on the pre and let it there for about a minute or two...then I turned it down.

After that the bass and everything else on this amp is unbelieveable, it really -- for whatever reason -- seemed to open up after that little bit of a burst to it. Probably really drove the power through the caps and transistors on it and got them to the proper "cooking level." lol

Anyways, give it some time before you really decide what you think of the amp, it will get better over the month you have it and get towards it's neutral sound it gives.
                                              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                              -Dan

Comment

• nvdeynde
                                                • Jun 2004

Hi,

I hope you are right as the amp still sounds awfull at the moment eventhough it has played for about 75 hours now.
                                                It sounds cold and harsh, it hardly gives bass for a 5x200 watts amp.

My Yamaha RX-V795a even did a better job.
                                                I hope I don't regret my decision

The trial setup of 3 Rb 1080's sounded greath.
                                                I want that sound back...

Of course, the set of RB 1080 amps I had to test had been playing for months in the Hifi shop as I guess they had all the the time to run-in.

Nico

Comment

• mjb
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Mar 2005

Hi,

I hope you are right as the amp still sounds awfull at the moment eventhough it has played for about 75 hours now.
                                                  It sounds cold and harsh, it hardly gives bass for a 5x200 watts amp.
                                                  Are all your speakers in phase?
                                                  I'm not a believer in run in, I admit its possible for the sound to change a little due to component tolerances, but not dramatically. If you're that unhappy with the sound, something is wrong.
                                                  - Mike

Main System:
                                                  B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
                                                  Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• nvdeynde
                                                    • Jun 2004

Hi,

All my speakers are connected well with observation of the correct polarity.

I'm still not happy the sound the amp produces.

The only thing I can say that may be unusual is that the internal transformer of the amp sometimes starts humming/bromming for a few seconds.

I have red other topics on this forum on transformer noices and they can have many different causes.

Do other owners of the 1095 observe the same ?

I'm not speaking of ground hum or buzz from the speakers but purely the bromming of the transformer inside the amplifier.

I have taken measurements of my power supply voltage for 24 hours and it's always between 225 and 231 volts which is exactly as where it should be as we are on 230 volts here in Europe.
                                                    My Music installation has a dedicated power cable to the main fuse box.

Ground loop breakers of Yenssen transformers are in place between the cable connection of my tuner and TV.

I'm curious about the transformer noice if other owners also hear it. I don't mean with your ear against the amp but I can hear it at 5 feet away from it on occasion.

Mostly it's a silent brom you only hear at about 1 feet or less from the amp with the volume closed of course.

Regards,

Nico
                                                    Originally posted by mjb
                                                    Are all your speakers in phase?
                                                    I'm not a believer in run in, I admit its possible for the sound to change a little due to component tolerances, but not dramatically. If you're that unhappy with the sound, something is wrong.

Comment

Working...
                                                    😀
                                                    😂
                                                    🥰
                                                    😘
                                                    🤢
                                                    😎
                                                    😞
                                                    😡
                                                    👍
                                                    👎
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"