X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • focus
    • Mar 2006

Crossover settings for RSX 1067

Is it possible to have different crossover seettings on the LFE/SUB? For 2 CH i have set the fronts to small and their HP-filter set to 60 hz and the sub (redirected bass) set to 60 hz. I'm very happy with these settings, but the problem is, when i'm listening to a 5.1 mix, the LFE channel get "chucked" at 60 hz, and in a DD 5.1 mix the LFE channel contains material from 20hz - 120 hz, so i won't hear the stuff over 60 hz.
    It's not my biggest problem, but i do think a reicever for almost 3000 euro should be able to handle this correct, and maybe it can?

So i would like to have crossover for HT use at 80 hz and for 2 CH use at 60 hz is that possible? I have all the speaker set to small in both modes.

My sub is a REL Strata 5 and fronts are Dynaudio Focus
  • focus
    • Mar 2006

Acctually, i can't see why LP-filter for the LFE channel i needed at all. I mean, it's not meant to be furher "lowpassed" since it already has a LP-filter on this channel from the mixing process..

I found this thread: http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...rossover+modes

So what i'm asking for in not possible, right? (different crossover settings for different sound modes)

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

The LFE does not get processed at all, no matter the crossover setting. And you are right it's only possible to set large/small for different modes, not different crossover's.

Kevin D.

Comment

• focus
        • Mar 2006

I checked two times now, and i'm positive that the LFE track gets effected by changing the sub crossover. The test was done with multichannel calibration dvd which made it possible to run a solo sinus wave to the LFE.

But maybe it's only on RSX series or something..????

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Maybe, have you emailed Rotel to see what they say?

Kevin D.

Comment

• focus
            • Mar 2006

I'm waiting for a relpy from Rotel....

Comment

• Destruction
              • Dec 2006

Hello Focus,

As far as I am aware there is no ability to set different crossover frequencies for the different surround modes, but you can choose to override the master crossover point for these different surround modes in the advanced speaker set-up menu. So, why not have the speakers set to LARGE for STEREO/MPEG and SMALL for DD/DTS?

This way your crossover point remains 80Hz for DD/DTS and your speakers get full range signal for 2CH PCM. Since there is no LFE bass for PCM you do not need to worry about damaging the speakers?

'LFE' and 'bass' are different and are also handled differently. LFE is only distributed into the Large speakers when there is no subwoofer or when it is set to 'MAX' in the speaker set-up. LFE is not fed to small speakers, as there is an automatic 100Hz filter.

I hope this helps.
              Best regards,

Comment

• focus
                • Mar 2006

So, why not have the speakers set to LARGE for STEREO/MPEG and SMALL for DD/DTS?
                Destruction, thanks! My fronts are fairly small (dynaudio Focus 110) and they are speced to 45 hz. But we all know that they don't play that deep, with control, so i want the sub (REL Strata 5) to take over from, in my case, 60 hz. This also makes it easier for amp to drive the speakers. It sounds so much better, i think!

Edit: i was talking 2 ch

Comment

• Destruction
                  • Dec 2006

In that case you can set the custom crossover for for the front speakers to 60Hz. This only affects redirected bass - the LFE bass is not affected by this crossover setting so there should not be a problem (unless I have the wrong end of the stick so to speak).
                  Best regards,

Comment

• focus
                    • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Destruction
                    In that case you can set the custom crossover for for the front speakers to 60Hz. This only affects redirected bass - the LFE bass is not affected by this crossover setting so there should not be a problem (unless I have the wrong end of the stick so to speak).
                    The problem is that it does! (sub crossover affects the LFE track) Thats my big issue, i'm waiting for a email from Rotel which maybe can confirm if there is something wrong with my RSX 1067 or if it's just on the RSX series and not on the RSP series.

And even if i set speakers to large the LFE gets affected!

Strange........... cause it shouldn't :cry:

Comment

• Destruction
                      • Dec 2006

Ok, to clarify you have two crossover options with the RSX-1067:

1. The master subwoofer crossover is found in the 'subwoofer set-up menu': Set the master crossover for 80Hz.

2. The custom crossover setting in the 'advanced speaker set-up menu': If you set front left and right speakers to 60 Hz and set 'STEREO/MPEG' surround mode to 'SMALL' (it is important you select 'small' as by default the processor reverts to the MASTER crossover setting of 80Hz otherwise), then 60Hz crossover is retained for your 2 CH PCM material. You should then be able to set the 'DD/DTS' surround mode to 'MASTER' so that you retain the master crossover setting of 80Hz. It is important to note that LFE is not affected by this setting, only your 'normal bass'.

Bass management is confusing to say the least, but you should find that the user manual will help explain my point. I would double check the settings again and also check the crossover setting of the sub.

All the best.
                      Best regards,

Comment

• focus
                        • Mar 2006

You should then be able to set the 'DD/DTS' surround mode to 'MASTER' so that you retain the master crossover setting of 80Hz. It is important to note that LFE is not affected by this setting, only your 'normal bass'.
                        The thing is that when i change the sub crossover in the subwoofer set-up menu the sub crossover also changes in Advance speaker set up. But i will also have another look about the setting to MASTER at DD and DTS.

Comment

• focus
                          • Mar 2006

The LFE does not get processed at all, no matter the crossover setting. And you are right it's only possible to set large/small for different modes, not different crossover's.
                          Unfortunately, this is not the case, with RSX 1067. The sub crossover filter does effect the LFE channel according to Rotel. The guy i spoked with, from Rotel claimed that it would be the same thing for RSP models, aswell.

Comment

• style
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Feb 2006

@focus,

i have Rsp1068+Rmb1075:

i set 100hz for left/right/center/surround, sub 80hz.

Poeple say for speakers is better ook more as 100hz (120/150hz) and for the
                            sub 60hz. is too good (i change movie pro movie - set large speakes)

Omar

Comment

• satchm0
                              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by focus
                              Unfortunately, this is not the case, with RSX 1067. The sub crossover filter does effect the LFE channel according to Rotel. The guy i spoked with, from Rotel claimed that it would be the same thing for RSP models, aswell.
                              What if you set the master sub crossover to MAX, then set the individual speaker groups to what ever you want them (60Hz, 80Hz, etc.). Do you think this would allow the full LFE signal to the sub, and still accomplish the crossover for he other speakers?

I have the RSX-1067 as well and just assumed the full LFE signal was going to the sub even though I had the crossover set between 60Hz - 80HZ on my other speakers.

Comment

• focus
                                • Mar 2006

What if you set the master sub crossover to MAX
                                Do you mean "MAX" instead of "YES"?
                                I have the RSX-1067 as well and just assumed the full LFE signal was going to the sub even though I had the crossover set between 60Hz - 80HZ on my other speakers.
                                Yes it does, but it gets "chucked" a little, if having the sub crossover set to 60 hz. I mean the LFE track in DD 5.1 mix often contain material from 120hz and down.

I could live with LP filter cutting the LFE at 80 hz, but not 60 hz which works fine with my room and speakers in two channel mode.

Comment

• satchm0
                                  • Jan 2007

Sorry, I was at work when I posted my previous...post. I thought there was a "MAX" setting in the sub crossover, but there's not. It does go up to 200Hz, though.

So back to my question, if you set the sub crossover to say 120Hz, and then set each speaker group (front, center...) to their unique crossover (60Hz, 80Hz..), would the LFE signal feed the sub from 120Hz and below, but the individual speaker signals would send everything below their 60-80Hz crossover to the sub?

Comment

• focus
                                    • Mar 2006

So back to my question, if you set the sub crossover to say 120Hz, and then set each speaker group (front, center...) to their unique crossover (60Hz, 80Hz..), would the LFE signal feed the sub from 120Hz and below, but the individual speaker signals would send everything below their 60-80Hz crossover to the sub?
                                    The silly thing is that, when doing so, i will have duplicated bass from "60-80" up to 120 hz when using bass management. Or am i wrong? For example: If i have sub crossover att 200 hz and the fronts at 60 hz, i'll receive redirected bass in the sub from 200 hz and down. (bass between 60-200hz that the fronts are already playing)

Please correct me if i'm wrong

I have all my speakers set to SMALL

Comment

• FernandoF
                                      • Nov 2005

"Subwoofer" Crossover vs. "Speakers" Crossovers

My current understanding (or "theory", if you will) is that :

1) The "Subwoofer" crossover is the low pass filter for the sub. It controls the highest frequency that the sub gets from any channel set to "small", plus the LFE. For example, if the "Subwoofer" crossover is set to 120Hz, it will get bass UP TO 120Hz (and below) from all "small" channels. The bass will not be redirected from those channels, it will be "copied" to the subwoofer.
                                      The "Subwoofer" crossover has no control over what the "small" channels get !

2) The "Speakers" (Fronts, Center, etc.) crossovers are the high pass filters for the channels. They control the lowest frequencies that each channel set to "small" will get. For example, if the "Fronts" crossover is set to 60Hz, they will get bass DOWN TO 60Hz (and above).
                                      The "Speakers" crossovers have no control over what the subwoofer gets !

I'm rather convinced of the above, but I'd like to know how that sounds to you guys... I'm very interested in your perspective.

Thanks,

Fernando
                                      Last edited by FernandoF; 28 January 2007, 20:42 Sunday.

Comment

Working...
                                      😀
                                      😂
                                      🥰
                                      😘
                                      🤢
                                      😎
                                      😞
                                      😡
                                      👍
                                      👎
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"