X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bluespower
    • Sep 2005

Balanced AND RCA Connection to 1095?

I don't know if this is possible but I would like to get some feedback.

Can a 1095 be connected to two different sources with both the balanced and RCA connected at the same time? I would be able to insure that only ONE source could be powered on at a time.

Is this doable or lunacy?
    Bluespower
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

The 1095 requires special plugs be inserted into the RCA inputs before the balanced inputs will work. So nope, one at a time only.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Bluespower
      • Sep 2005

Shucks! Thanks for the speedy reply, I was pretty sure that you would know.
      Bluespower

Comment

• bung99
        • Nov 2005

My rmb1095 does not need any special plugs in the RCA for the balanced inputs to work but Rotel say not to have both connected.
        I have the front on balanced & the rear, center on RCA. This seems to work OK.

Comment

• Kevin D
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Oct 2002

Oops, caught me. The plugs are for using the DB25 connector. Forgot about that input and got confused!

That said, even if *you* can insure *you* will never have both sources on at the same time, you can't be sure someone might be get both on at the same time. Add in the potential ground problems from both being connected and it's probably not worth it.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Cracking Oboe
            • May 2004

My older model RMB 1095 does need the RCA plugs (that were provided with the unit) for the balanced connectors to work. At least thats what my dealer told me. I've never tried the balanced connections (I believe tests have shown that the amp performs better when using the RCA connections). It would be great if an amp could do both.. it would solve the multi channel/ two channel compromise.

Jon

Comment

• Bluespower
              • Sep 2005

This is going to be a little long but bear with me. My long term goal is to transition to Mac gear (gotta love those blue meters). My fist love is two-chan, followed by multi-chan music, DVD concerts (DTS/DD), then movies.

Option 1
              Mac sells a multi chan pre amp (C45) with two sets of six-chan inputs and balanced outputs. Using this pre, I envisioned it managing my CD and DVD analog connections (my 1st and 2nd priority) while my 1068 handled the digital connections (3rd and 4th priority). My thought was that the C45 could be connected via the balanced connections and the 1068 by the RCAs.

It would be easy to create a switchbox using a DPDT switch to limit the 110vac power going to either the pre or the processor. The next hurdle was the two amplifier connections I asked about at the beginning of this thread.

With the exception of the possible grounding issue Kevin mentioned, this may work.

Option 2
              I floated this same idea at a Mac site and was asked why don't I just rely on the analog outputs from the DVD player for DTS/DD material. I'm using a Denon DVD3800 that does have built in decoders.

In some very brief testing I did find that yes I do get the DTS/DD program material through the analog outputs. My first impressions were that the sound I got from the digital connection from the 3800 to the 1068 was superior to the analog output from the 3800 by itself. I need to do some more testing along these lines.

Is there a quality five channel stand alone DAC out there that would meet or beat what I'm experiencing with the 1068?

Option 3
              Connect the pre outs of the 1068 to the second set of six-chan inputs on the C45 and play the volume matching game.

Although this is doable, I kind of hesitate on this one. Kinda like keeping a snake for a pet. One of these days it's going to bite you. That's one of the reasons I'm using a ModWright two-chan pre with HT passthru.

Option 4
              Buy an iPOD with earbuds and forget all this lunacy.
              Bluespower

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"