X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OC 335i
    • Dec 2006

Rotel 1057 Connectivity

Hi all, I'm new to this forum, and new to HT, and would like some advice.

What cables do I need to hook up the Rotel 1057?

I currently have:
    Panasonic TH-42PX600U Plasma
    Pioneer Elite DV-79AVI
    Rotel 1057
    Cox Cable's Motorola Digital Cable Box w/recorder (has HDMI).

I have 3 HDMI cables. What would be the optimal method to wire-up the 1057 to the rest of my electronics?

My local shop is telling me in addition to the 3 HDMI cables, I should get 3 pairs of digital audio interconnects, and 2 coax cables (1 coaxial cable from the Cable box to the Reciever, and another Coax from the DVD to the receiver). Can someone explain this to me?

FWIW, the rest of my equipment:
    B&W DM603 S3 (fronts)
    B&W DM601 S3 (rears)
    B&W LCR600 (center)

The bedroom dimensions are about 14x16' but I intend on moving the equipment into a larger living room next year when I move to a new house. I have not decided on a sub yet.

Thanks in advance!
  • fordster
    • Feb 2005

It depends on what you plan to use the DV-79 for but the minimum you need is the 2 coax cables. The coax will do the digital audio output (Dolby Digital and DTS) from the DVS player to the amp. You can also use this for 2 channel audio which means you are doing the digital to analogue conversion at the 1056 rather than the DV-79. The downside of that is that you cannot then do 2 channel bypass which has a cleaner sound. If you want to do this then you'll need to also buy a pair of analogue interconnects anc connect these to the Left and Right outputs on the DV-79 and into the CD inputs on the 1057. If you plan on playing any DVD Audio or SACD discs you would need another set of cables to go from the analogue outputs on the DV-79 to the external inputs on the 1057.

Hope that helps. If you need any cables check out the forum sponsor (CAT cables) as they make everything you need.
    Dave

Comment

• OC 335i
      • Dec 2006

So I need 2 digital coax cables and 1 pair of interconnects. What about from the cable box?

Comment

• fordster
        • Feb 2005

The 2 digital cables include the 1 for your cable box.
        Dave

Comment

• OC 335i
          • Dec 2006

Should've I just went with a Pioneer Elite VSX-84TXSi to go along with my dv-79avi?

From the back of my dvd player, I will be using it also as my cd player, I have the following:

HDMI to 1057 (receiver)
          Digital Audio Out to 1057

As far as the analog cables, the rear has the following: Audio Out (L+R), Front (L+R), Surround (L+R), Center, and Subwoofer. Fordster, can you help with this?

The downside of that is that you cannot then do 2 channel bypass which has a cleaner sound. If you want to do this then you'll need to also buy a pair of analogue interconnects and connect these to the Left and Right outputs on the DV-79 and into the CD inputs on the 1057. If you plan on playing any DVD Audio or SACD discs you would need another set of cables to go from the analogue outputs on the DV-79 to the external inputs on the 1057.
          What I want to accomplish is
          a) Be able to pass Dolby Digital and DTS to receiver. Which I understand what the Digital coax is for.
          b) The option of watching DVDs with and without the receiver.
          c) The option of 2 channel bypass if possible.

Sorry to be a pain, this seems to be a bit confusing to me. BTW, I need to make a flowchart or something lol.

Comment

• fordster
            • Feb 2005

Based on what you want to accomplish I'd say

a) That's your digitial coax from DVD player to receiver
            b) That's a bit trickier as you'd need to cable from the DVD player to the TV (assuming you're using that for sound when not using the receiver). If the DVD player had HDMI 1.3 and you're TV does too then I'd say connect the HDMI cable from the DV-79 straight to the TV. HDMI 1.3 also does audio but earlier versions don't (somebody correct me here if I'm wrong as I don't use HDMI).
            c) Connect the Audio Out (L+R) on the DVD player to the CD inputs (L+R) on the receiver. Then put the receiver into CD input and press 2 channel button (either on receiver or remote) twice to get into full analogue bypass.

If you are not planning on using DVD Audio or SACD you can ignore the Front (L+R), Surround (L+R), Centre and Subwoofer outputs on the DVD player.
            Dave

Comment

• OC 335i
              • Dec 2006

Thanks that cleared up a bunch. FWIW, I do plan on doing DVD audio/sacd.

Comment

• OC 335i
                • Dec 2006

delete

Comment

• k99
                  • Nov 2006

While we are on this topic, I just want to confirm the following:
                  I have my Panasonic DVD-S77 connected to my RSX-1057 via optical out to optical in on the receiver. So if I want to get the most out of my 2 channel, I have to connect via analogue L/R out on the DVD player to the Analogue CD input on the receiver, am I correct? If I do this will the bass still be re-directed to the sub? As well, does this mean the receiver will do the DAC?

Thnx!
                  -k99

p.s. Sorry to hijack your thread OC...I hope you don't mind.
                  Pioneer PDP-4360 - Rotel RSX-1057 - Toshiba HD-A2 - Monitor Audio GS10's - KEF KHT-2005

Comment

• gianni
                    • Nov 2002

OC 335i,

Off topic but I assume you have a 335i.
                    How do you like it?

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

Originally posted by k99
                      While we are on this topic, I just want to confirm the following:
                      I have my Panasonic DVD-S77 connected to my RSX-1057 via optical out to optical in on the receiver. So if I want to get the most out of my 2 channel, I have to connect via analogue L/R out on the DVD player to the Analogue CD input on the receiver, am I correct? If I do this will the bass still be re-directed to the sub? As well, does this mean the receiver will do the DAC?

Thnx!
                      -k99
                      Connecting the analog to the CD input and enabling 2ch bypass will only use the DAC's on the S77 and will not give you any output to the subwoofer. Please test it yourself, but I doubt the S77's DACS would be worth the trouble.

Kevin D.

Comment

• k99
                        • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Kevin D
                        Connecting the analog to the CD input and enabling 2ch bypass will only use the DAC's on the S77 and will not give you any output to the subwoofer. Please test it yourself, but I doubt the S77's DACS would be worth the trouble.

Kevin D.
                        I tried this and did not notice any real difference in sound. I did notice that when I switch the input over to CD it only outputs sound to the left and right channels and not to the sub. However, if I hit 2ch it activates the sub as well. Why would this be?
                        So if you say I am using the DAC's on the S77 how would I go about using the 1057's DAC's? I would like to get the most out of my set up.

-k99
                        Pioneer PDP-4360 - Rotel RSX-1057 - Toshiba HD-A2 - Monitor Audio GS10's - KEF KHT-2005

Comment

• OC 335i
                          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by gianni
                          OC 335i,

Off topic but I assume you have a 335i.
                          How do you like it?
                          I actually haven't bought it yet since I will be taking European Delivery. I'm waiting for Spring so I'll order it in February.

On a side note, I picked up a Velodyne DD-10 Sub to go with my B&W Speakers today. Got an excellent deal from Audigon, the sub is basically in brand new condition (tested it at the seller's house also). I'm so excited, I forgot to mention, my receiver should come in tomorrow. I picked the "controversial" all Black 1057 since it goes better with the rest of my components.

Comment

• Kevin D
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Oct 2002

Using the digital input fully (and only) utilizes the DACs in the 1057.

The analog inputs allow two stereo modes, 2ch bypass and 2ch stereo. 2ch bypass only passes the analog signal with only volume control (the 77's DACS in this case). Thus with only a stereo signal inputed, you only get a stereo output (no sub).

2ch stereo takes the analog information, passes it through digitally in the 1057 to create a sub signal, and then it goes out. In this case you are using the 77's DACs to create an analog signal, the 1057's ADC's to create a digital signal to manipulate, then the 1057's DAC's to again create an analog signal.

If you're going to use 2ch stereo with a digital source, you're going to be much better off only using the digital connection which leaves it digital until the 1057's DAC's convert it for final output.

Kevin D.

Comment

• k99
                              • Nov 2006

So in my case I would be better off just sticking with the optical between the s77 and the 1057?
                              I plan on adding an RCD-1072 in the next few weeks. I assume this would be the best way to achive a more "pure" 2ch sound? I would be using the s77 for DVD only and the 1072 for music.
                              I picked up an anlogue cable today to run between the s77 and 1057, should I just return it?

I apologize for all the questions. I really do appreciate all your help though

-k99

edit: fordster mentioned above: "2 channel bypass which has a cleaner sound" Is this incorrect? seeing as you say the DAC's in the s77 will be used.

My head hurts..lol

Comment

• k99
                                • Nov 2006

After a little more reading and searching I have determined the following:
                                If I connect via digital optical or coax I will be using the DAC's in the 1057 and if I connect via analog (bypass mode) I will be using the DAC's in the s77. If I am to add the 1072 I may as well keep the analog cable as the 1072 wii do the DAC. (in the bypass mode of course)
                                Please let me know if I am on the right path now.

-k99

Comment

• Kevin D
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Oct 2002

Originally posted by k99
                                  After a little more reading and searching I have determined the following:
                                  If I connect via digital optical or coax I will be using the DAC's in the 1057 and if I connect via analog (bypass mode) I will be using the DAC's in the s77. If I am to add the 1072 I may as well keep the analog cable as the 1072 wii do the DAC. (in the bypass mode of course)
                                  Please let me know if I am on the right path now.

-k99
                                  Sounds exactly right to me.

Kevin D.

Comment

• howzitwerk
                                    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Kevin D
                                    Using the digital input fully (and only) utilizes the DACs in the 1057.

The analog inputs allow two stereo modes, 2ch bypass and 2ch stereo. 2ch bypass only passes the analog signal with only volume control (the 77's DACS in this case). Thus with only a stereo signal inputed, you only get a stereo output (no sub).

2ch stereo takes the analog information, passes it through digitally in the 1057 to create a sub signal, and then it goes out. In this case you are using the 77's DACs to create an analog signal, the 1057's ADC's to create a digital signal to manipulate, then the 1057's DAC's to again create an analog signal.

If you're going to use 2ch stereo with a digital source, you're going to be much better off only using the digital connection which leaves it digital until the 1057's DAC's convert it for final output.

Kevin D.

Ahhh, I had not nailed down this difference either yet, thanks!

I just found these forums recently; I've had a Rotel CD player for years,
                                    I just picked up a 1057 and a 1075 amp recently.

My homebrew speakers are stereo bi-amp I guess you'd call it. I need the
                                    sub crossover and amp external, hence the 1075. One thing that attracted
                                    me to the 1057 was the 2 sub preamp outputs, perfect for this. So assuming
                                    I don't mind the 1057 DACs I'm all good using digital from the CD I guess.

Any idea if the RCD-965BX bit-stream DAC is better than the 1057? I may
                                    have another project. I was also looking at the Marchand active crossovers,
                                    maybe there's a place for that after all. Haven't thought it all thru, if I'd
                                    have to switch amp/sub connections or something maybe. But I was thinking
                                    that to use my subs in 2ch bypass, I'd need an external crossover still. I've
                                    got enough amp channels to spare between the two, so that's ok.

Bill

Comment

• k99
                                      • Nov 2006

Thanks Kevin, things make sense now.
                                      I'll have to wait until the 25th to see if Santa brings a 1072 :W

-k99

Comment

Working...
                                      😀
                                      😂
                                      🥰
                                      😘
                                      🤢
                                      😎
                                      😞
                                      😡
                                      👍
                                      👎
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"