X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Navin R. Johnso
    • Apr 2006

Do I need a 1080?

Hi, my current gear is Rotel 1056 driving B&W 704s for mains. I'm thinking about adding in a used Rotel 1080 for just the front 2 channels.

Does anyone have any experience with this setup? Would I see much appreciable change or is this just the starting symptoms of upgrade-itis?

Curious about effect for both 2-channel stereo as well as HT.

Thanks
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

Yes sir, I think that would be a worthwhile purchase. I own the RB-1080 and it added improvement to my front channels that merited the purchase.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Pez
      • May 2004

If you listen to music with a critical ear I think its at least worth an audition (if thats possible). It "should" certianly improve the sound of your 704's but the questions is it worth your money to do so. I say "should" because everyones hearing is different and the improvement can vary from person to person. However if it were me I would most likely go for it.

If you are planning to go used that I definately would do it as it wouldnt cost that much to do it.

Comment

• Navin R. Johnso
        • Apr 2006

The audition question is tricky since I have no intention of buying these retail (it would be a splurge at $600, no chance at $1000) I am hesitant to have a dealer set up a custom rig and switch it around a bunch with no hope of a sale.

I guess I could buy the 1080 used and consider that the "audition", then sell it for roughly the same price if it didn't do much for me sonically, though the transaction costs would make that a $50-100 audition.

Would love to hear from folks with same/similar situation.

Comment

• dmensi
          • Aug 2006

Rb1080

Picked up a RB1080 on Audiogon for $700 great piece of equipment and really opened up my Paradigm Studio 100's. Have seen them on both audiogon and ebay between $650 to $800 lately. Some are barely several months old.

David

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"