X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fordster
    • Feb 2005

Weird RDV-1060 problem

My RDV-1060 is broken again and I've only had it back a few weeks! I've had the common problems (won't play DVDA and then intermittently not playing DVDs) but I think I've come up with a new one now.

I ordered some Silvercats from Doug and received them yesterday. Last night I swapped them in for my existing cables (between RDV-1060 and RA-1062). Of course I did this whilst the power was off (system had not been switched on all day). I then popped in a Cd and left it playing whilst doing other things. A bit later we sat down to have a listen and noticed that the sound was "crackly" and distorted in places. Thinking it may be a problem with the cables or a loose connection I turned everything off and swapped the old IC's back in. They did exactly the same so I then suspected the speakers and checked all their cabling, this made no difference. To cut the story short, I tired 3 sets of cables, 2 amps and 2 sets of speakers along with another DVD player and a CD player. I found that the problem was with the 2 channel audio output of my 1060. The left and right of the 5.1 outputs also exhibit the same cracking and distortion but the digital output seems to be fine. Strange!

Anyway it's going back to Rotel again next week for another repair. I just hope they don't think it was something I did when swapping cables as I was very careful and made sure it was all powered off.
    Dave
  • mars
    • Sep 2004

These problems may be related..

Comment

• chinets
      • Jun 2005

There are Many Problems with the RDV-1060, as you can see from many threads About the 1060 in this forum. I had the 1060 and had Rotel pay me back full value, as I had a true Lemon. I know many friends of mine that had many problems with the 1060 ,and they either sent them back to Rotel for full value ,or traded up to something else Un-Rotel.
      We all went Marantz Dv-9600 and never looked back.
      The moral of this story. RDV-1060 has major problems all over the world!! And Rotel Knows it!
      Rotel has great Amps and there processor ,such as the 1098 are fantastic, but unfortunately their DVD players are a mess, and have some serious problems.
      If you still have a waranty from your dealer ,then if I were you, I would trade it in for some other DVD player of your own choice. That is my opinion only, as I was a Rotel victim too!

Good Luck with Rotel ,and I really hope they can fix this problem soom.
      Keep us posted,
      Cheers

Comment

• fordster
        • Feb 2005

They do sound similar but are not quite the same as my problem is with analogue and yours is with digital. Mine also doesn't go away when I power cycle the player.
        Dave

Comment

• lvhung
          • Jun 2005

I am saving for Nuforce avp16 to feed my Rotel power amps

Needless to say Haw bad the Rotel 1068

Comment

• fordster
            • Feb 2005

I've got my 1060 back now and the fault has been fixed. The repair note says it was "leaky transistors in the left/right mute circuit". Once again, great service from Rotel, they picked up the player last Wednesday and rang me on Monday to say it was repaired but I was unavailable to take delivery until yesterday (Friday). I know the player shouldn't develop faults but at least Rotel acknowledge and fix them unlike Denon (based on my previous experiences). For that reason (plus the sound quality) I'll be sticking with Rotel.
            Dave

Comment

• srinathalapati
              • Jan 2006

Hey folks,

If there are so many problems with Rotel equipment, how do we make sure someone at Rotel is actually listening?

Owner of RSX-1055 and RDV-1060.

Sri
              Rotel RSX-1055 Rotel RDV-1060 Tannoy Saturn S8

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

Originally posted by srinathalapati
                Hey folks,

If there are so many problems with Rotel equipment, how do we make sure someone at Rotel is actually listening?

Owner of RSX-1055 and RDV-1060.

Sri
                Believe me, I know Rotel North America and Rotel Europe are listening. In the last year Rotel North America has gone above and beyond taking care of issues and trying to catch problems coming from the factory. Hopefully Rotel groups in other areas are taking some of the same actions.

That said, reading this forum is not the best indicator of over-all Rotel quality. I would have to say 80% of the people who post here for the first time only post because they have an issue. If we could get all Rotel owners to post their experience I'm sure you would see the percentage of problem posts would be quite small.

Kevin D.

Comment

• srinathalapati
                  • Jan 2006

I certainly hope so.

Having said that, what is the best way to get Rotel equipment services in the event of problems. Carry it to the local authorized dealer or pay shipping chanrges and ship it to Rotel?

Comment

• Club1820
                    • Jan 2006

KNOCK ON WOOD! I've purchased my complete Rotel System used. I have only had it hooked up for a couple of weeks and everything ok so far. Except for a slight ground loop hum that is driving me crazy!

But as a follow up to the previous poster - in the event I should need service, should I just ship straight to Rotel seeing that I didnt purchase from a dealer?

I assume that Rotel wouldn not honor warranty?

Thanks.
                    Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• srinathalapati
                      • Jan 2006

Hi,

Rotel's warranty is not transferable.

Comment

• srinathalapati
                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Kevin D
                        Believe me, I know Rotel North America and Rotel Europe are listening. In the last year Rotel North America has gone above and beyond taking care of issues and trying to catch problems coming from the factory. Hopefully Rotel groups in other areas are taking some of the same actions.

That said, reading this forum is not the best indicator of over-all Rotel quality. I would have to say 80% of the people who post here for the first time only post because they have an issue. If we could get all Rotel owners to post their experience I'm sure you would see the percentage of problem posts would be quite small.

Kevin D.
                        Kevin,

In all honesty I hope you are right but I am not convinced and you don't have to convince me

Both of my components (RSX-1055 and RDV-1060 have had problems and they still do. They are less than 3 years old.

Unfortunately my RDV-1060 was out of warranty (although I think the problems started before the warranty expiration). I should have taken it to the dealer right away as soon as I noticed that CD kept spinning even after it has completely played. I finally took it after it randomly stopped recognizing discs (No disc messages). The dealer replaced the loader mechanism and I still have these issues. I am now getting ready to ship this to Rotel.

Regarding my 1055, I loose my presets for radio and speakers. The dealer fixed it, and after the fix, the presets were being saved. Few weeks ago, the problem started again. And the unit would not turn on at times (blank display) and in one instance there were white horizontal lines on the display. Fortunately this is still under warranty. I need to ship this big beast to Rotel (of course I have to pay the charges myself).

Based on my experience, I am extremely hesitant to recommend Rotel to anyone.

sri

Comment

• Club1820
                          • Jan 2006

Hi,

Rotel's warranty is not transferable.
                          Yes, I know. This is why I said KNOCK ON WOOD! Maybe I should just stop reading this forum?!?! 8O

Good luck to you with the 1055. Which by the way I have two of these!
                          Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• srinathalapati
                            • Jan 2006

I just want to post a follow up It turns out that my RSX-1055 problems are related to power. I am now plugging this sucker into the wall and power problems went away.

After the RDV-1060's loading assembly was replaced, all seems to be well now.

Srinath

Kevin,

In all honesty I hope you are right but I am not convinced and you don't have to convince me

Both of my components (RSX-1055 and RDV-1060 have had problems and they still do. They are less than 3 years old.

Unfortunately my RDV-1060 was out of warranty (although I think the problems started before the warranty expiration). I should have taken it to the dealer right away as soon as I noticed that CD kept spinning even after it has completely played. I finally took it after it randomly stopped recognizing discs (No disc messages). The dealer replaced the loader mechanism and I still have these issues. I am now getting ready to ship this to Rotel.

Regarding my 1055, I loose my presets for radio and speakers. The dealer fixed it, and after the fix, the presets were being saved. Few weeks ago, the problem started again. And the unit would not turn on at times (blank display) and in one instance there were white horizontal lines on the display. Fortunately this is still under warranty. I need to ship this big beast to Rotel (of course I have to pay the charges myself).

Based on my experience, I am extremely hesitant to recommend Rotel to anyone.

sri

Comment

• saltafevgas
                              • Dec 2004

Originally posted by Kevin D

Kevin D.

Since a couple of weeks now I have a problem with my RDV 1060 not playing some DVD's. The player hangs up on the "reading..." on inserting and not showing the menu at all or giving a "disk error". Funny thing is those DVD's are brand new legally obtained DVD's (Twin Peaks, Seinfeld from Amazon.co.uk!) while the illegally obtained copies bought from some guy on the flee market in Ho Chi Min play excellent without a problem! The problem is clearly with the "official DVD's". When copying the official (and *protected*) Seinfeld DVD using my Apple PowerBook and a cracking utilty, the freshly burned DVD plays excellent in my RDV 1060. I'm currenly copying all my legally obtained DVD to be able to play them anyway...
                              The problems occurred since a while now and my warranty expired (I bought my RDV 1060 slightly more than 2 years ago).

Comment

Working...
                              😀
                              😂
                              🥰
                              😘
                              🤢
                              😎
                              😞
                              😡
                              👍
                              👎
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"