X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pbarata
    • Feb 2003

Bypassing RSP-1066 front channels for stereo improvement

I'm interested in improving stereo performance for a Rotel Combo build with RCD-1070 CD Player, RSP-1066 Surround pre-amp and 5 channel RMB-1075 power amplifier.

I’m planning to use a passive amplifier and to bypass RSP-1066 for CD listening, using a device such CIAudio VPC-2 passive controller (http://www.ciaudio.com/vpc2.html) or CIAudio PCL-1 (http://www.ciaudio.com/plc1.html).

I expect to find much a lower noise floor, more openness, transparency, accuracy and detail, and a wider soundstage, without distortion or congestion. Are my expectations set to high? ;x(

I would like to hear any thoughts, experiences and advice about this idea?

Which other passive controllers should I also consider?

Thanks.
    Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
    Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.
  • soundhound
    • Mar 2004

pbarata,
    I don't know what speakers you are driving, but if it were me I would also add a seperate 2 channel power amp to the mix. I believe the 1075 to be one of Rotels best buys, but, for multi channel detail, not 2 channel.
    That passive pre looks like a pretty slick little unit.
    Giving the output end of it all a little breathing room will net you some of what you are after.
    This sounds like it could be the start of something........................

Comment

• JDH
      • Sep 2004

I'm using the Rotel RSP-1066 in conjunction with a Benchmark DAC 1 and a NuForce P8 2ch pre-amp with HT bypass and dedicated 2ch poweramp, prevously a Rotel RB-1080 and now the Australian made Elektra Audio power amp.

The NuForce P8 is an active 2ch pre-amp with minimal inputs but enough for my situation. In short the dedicated 2ch pre-amp sounds better and was worth upgrade to me with my HiFi/HT system. The rest of your setup will determine the level of improvement you will end up with.

JDH

Originally posted by pbarata
      I'm interested in improving stereo performance for a Rotel Combo build with RCD-1070 CD Player, RSP-1066 Surround pre-amp and 5 channel RMB-1075 power amplifier.

I’m planning to use a passive amplifier and to bypass RSP-1066 for CD listening, using a device such CIAudio VPC-2 passive controller (http://www.ciaudio.com/vpc2.html) or CIAudio PCL-1 (http://www.ciaudio.com/plc1.html).

I expect to find much a lower noise floor, more openness, transparency, accuracy and detail, and a wider soundstage, without distortion or congestion. Are my expectations set to high? ;x(

I would like to hear any thoughts, experiences and advice about this idea?

Which other passive controllers should I also consider?

Thanks.
      Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• pbarata
        • Feb 2003

I’ve just give a try with CIAudio VPC-2 and the results where a big surprise. h:

Bypassing RSP-1066 with VPC-2, for CD listening, result in more openness, transparency, accuracy and detail, and a wide soundstage without any symptoms of distortion or congestion. I also felt that the noise floor suddenly become lower and the dynamics had increased, with good bass, really very good bass.

RMB-1075 is driving Monitor Audio Silver 8i in front channels and VPC-2 was able to drive them both easily and with good accuracy. :T
        Movies: Samsung LCD LE37A557, Rotel RSP-1066 & RMB-1075, Sony PS3, VdH D-102 Hybrid III interc, QED XT-350 & Supra Rondo 4x2,5 speaker cable, QED Qunex P75 coax, Monitor Audio Silver 5i/8i/10i speakers, REL Quake sub, QED Qunex SR-SW subwoofer cable, IXOS XHT458 HDMI, Supra LoRad, Isotek Mini Sub GII;
        Music: Rega Planar 3, Goldring 1042, Vincent PHO-8, Krell KAV-280cd, Krell KAV-400xi, B&W 703, Siltech SQ-28 Classic G5 (XLR), Siltech LS-68 Classic Mk2, Nordost Vishnu, QED Qonduit MDH6.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"