X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Club1820
    • Jan 2006

Digital or Analog Connection?

I'm a newbie when it comes to Digital Coaxial Connections. I posed the following question to Rotel and got the following response. Was wondering your thoughts on the subject.

Thanks!

"I have a Rotel 1068 Pre/Pro and a 1055 Cd Player and was wondering how should I connect the two together. Should I use the Analog connection of the 1055 or the Digital connection? Is there a difference or pro/con for each?"

Response: "THE DAC’S IN THE 1068 ARE BETTER THAN THE DAC’S IN THE 1055. THE AUDIO SECTION OF THE 1068 IS BETTER TOO. I WOULD RECOMMEND USING THE DIGITAL CONNECTIONS BETWEEN THE 1068 AND 1055. USING THE DIGITAL CONNECTION ELIMINATES THE NEED FOR ANY ANALOG HOOK UPS."
    Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3
  • Sim reality
    • Aug 2005

If you have the time and cables, listen to both... I find that in general the DAC implementation is nicer on the CD player then the receiver but you never know...

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

If it were the single disc 1072, I would say analog. Being the 1055 CD changer, they are correct that the 1068's DAC's are better.

Like Sim said, try both and decide for yourself.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Club1820
        • Jan 2006

Hey. what's wrong with the 1055?!?! Just kidding. I like the convenience of the changer.

Thanks Kevin. I was wondering when you would chime in.
        Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• Pez
          • May 2004

Originally posted by Kevin D
          If it were the single disc 1072, I would say analog. Being the 1055 CD changer, they are correct that the 1068's DAC's are better.

Like Sim said, try both and decide for yourself.

Kevin D.
          I would have said the exact same thing if not already posted.

Comment

• Club1820
            • Jan 2006

On a related issue - I have the 1060 DVD player. Connect via the digital coaxial or analog? Or both? You should know that I currently do not have any DVD-Audio discs and dont see getting any in the near future.

I have not actually set anything up just yet - I am finishing my basement and am almost done. Can't wait to finish and hook everything up.

RLC-1040

Thanks!

Comment

• Club1820
              • Jan 2006

Wow! Look above! My 100th post! Whoopee!

Comment

• fordster
                • Feb 2005

I use my 1060 with analogue. I've only done brief comparisons but I preferred it that way when using my RSX-1056 as you can then use 2 channel bypass.
                Dave

Comment

• Pez
                  • May 2004

Originally posted by Club1820
                  On a related issue - I have the 1060 DVD player. Connect via the digital coaxial or analog? Or both? You should know that I currently do not have any DVD-Audio discs and dont see getting any in the near future.

I have not actually set anything up just yet - I am finishing my basement and am almost done. Can't wait to finish and hook everything up.

RLC-1040

Thanks!
                  That is a real nice system you have there, what speakers are you using?

Since you have a seperate CD player I am assuming the DVD player will only be used for movies. That being said I would only use the digital connection on the 1060. However, like fordster, you may prefer the analog connection if you test both out. The bypass feature of Rotel pre/pro's and receiver's is a great thing IMO.

In my system I have the 1072 and use analog. For my dvd player I have a denon 2910 and use the digital. I have no desire to get into multi-channel music nor do I want to deal with all the wires required for that (assuming one for each of the channels in a 5.1 setup). Now if I didnt have the 1072 I would add a a stereo analog connection to the 2910 for music listening. I like my music to stay analog (2 channel) since that how it was recorded and minimze the digital to analog conversions.

Does that make any sense?

Comment

• chinets
                    • Jun 2005

You can connect it both ways Analogue and Digital :T

I have it connecetd both ways ,and you can Bypass In Analogue ,and that would sound great ,if you haven't tried that out yet!

I had the DVD1060 and I have the 1072 and the 1098 for HT ,and I don't know about the DACs of both the 1055 or 1068 ,but for what it's worth, the 1072 and 1098 ,I believe, they are both in par with their DACs to my ears.

Connect both ways and decide with your ears which has better DACs

Cheers

Comment

• yourtoys7
                      • Feb 2006

I find analog has a warmer sound, digital maybe not as natural if you would! + with analog you could use by pass 2ch. on rotel. Thats what I use anyways. 1057 + Denon 2900,
                      I'm adding 1072 this Christmas, will see how that will change.
                      Sony AT 150" 16x9 screen
                      PSB T6,
                      Velodyne SPL 1000R
                      Rotel RSX-1057
                      Rotel RB-1070
                      OPPO 103
                      Apple TV
                      [

Comment

• Club1820
                        • Jan 2006

Thanks PEZ. I compiled my system over that last year. All units used and purchased on Audiogon/Ebay. Mostly all of the units were actually new. So I got brand new units at used prices. I even ended up getting the 1052 Stereo Receiver and another 1055 CD Changer for the living room.

Pez, my front speakers are Whatmough M30's and for surround will be using Klipsch RB-35s.

OK Guys - thanks for the responses. I had to read everyone's more than once to make sure I fully understood.

Yes, the 1060 would really only be used for movies. As a matter of fact, would probably not be listening much to cd's down there either. Only when we have people over for parties/holidays. No real "critical" listening will be done.

So I guess I will go with digital connections on both the 1055 & 1060. I will eventually go analog on the 1060 for single cd/critical listening and perhaps DVD-Audio. (Eeek! More expensive interconnects needed!)

Thanks for the crash course and lesson on Digital/Analog connections!

Comment

• Sticky Hawk
                          • Sep 2006

Okay I need to ask a dumbo question. I have the RSX-1057 I have it analog connected to the 1072 for music. I also have an OPPO optically connected to the 1057 for my movies.

My question is I saw several references to the 1057 being able to "by-pass" in two channel. For a simple son of Iowa parents, what does that mean? ops:

Currently I play all of my CD's through the 1072 in a two channel plus the sub, (I have 804S's for my fronts) what would this bypass do for me, sorry for the more basic question you guys are the best ;x( .

Thanks!

Comment

• Ted
                            • May 2006

Originally posted by Sticky Hawk
                            For a simple son of Iowa parents, what does that mean? ops:
                            What does your parents being from Iowa have to do with anything!! Just because we are from Iowa and life is simple here doesn't mean we are clueless!!

Oh, by the way, I have no idea the answer to your question! :rofl:

I hope someone can answer it for you...

Ted
                            Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• Kevin D
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Oct 2002

Originally posted by Sticky Hawk
                              My question is I saw several references to the 1057 being able to "by-pass" in two channel. For a simple son of Iowa parents, what does that mean? ops: Thanks!
                              Listening like you do with stereo+sub, the signal is getting digitized and ran through the 1057's circuits to produce the sub signal and apply crossover's, etc. With this you are actually using the 1057's DAC's as well.

Bypass takes the analog signal and only passes it through the volume control before going to the outputs. Straight analog all the way. It's a much purer signal with no chance of digital manipulation. Unfortunately this gives you two channel only, no subwoofer. To enable bypass, just hit the STEREO button again after entering stereo mode.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Sticky Hawk
                                • Sep 2006

Kevin thanks for the reply, I have a leaning toward the musical groups like Metallica/Nirvana/R.E.M/ type of rock so I have always liked a little more low end. I will have to play around with this and see what gives. Would I be better off using a non-analogue connection if I keep the sub up in the mix or doesn't it matter much? In your opinion are the DAC's quite a bit better in the 1072 vs the 1057?

Ted my man! Kuduo's to you for calling me out! ;x( I was born and raised in Iowa! Went to the U (hard to claim this in Minnesota the way the FB & BB teams are doing). You are right it is not my parent's fault I am clueless, I have been able to do that all by myself :T I can't believe how much more complicated the new equipment is vs my old Yamaha receiver and Advent speakers I listened to in my dorm room in Hillcrest low these many years ago. Didn't have to worry about DAC's, what type of connections, what kind of speaker wire (just zip), just pop another record on the turntable and hoped I wasn't to tipsy that I dropped the stylus and gouged the record.

Comment

• Ted
                                  • May 2006

Kevin,

Thanks, that makes sense.

Sticky Hawk, I sent you a PM.
                                  Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

Working...
                                  😀
                                  😂
                                  🥰
                                  😘
                                  🤢
                                  😎
                                  😞
                                  😡
                                  👍
                                  👎
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"