X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Azeke
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2003

RSP-1098 LCD failure any suggestions?

My 1098 is experiencing intermittent LCD failure. I have to switch over to the FP screen to see the menu. It seems that I have to restart the machine in order to to get the LCD to work (intermittent). I'm going to call Rotel on Monday, hopefully there is a replacement module.

In the interim, I will check to ensure the boards are fully seated and if necessary reinstall the firmware.

Are there any further suggestions?
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

Nope that about covers it, only thing I'd check is the cable connecting the LCD unit, if you can unplug it and reseat the connection, that might help?!?

I've not opened it up to see what connections are available for the LCD unit...but I think you've pretty much covered your options.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Azeke
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2003

Thank you PweterTA.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• chinets
        • Jun 2005

Probably cable loose!!!

The other problem could be the electronic board module of the LCD has been damaged or loose ,and may have to be replaced!!

I would call Rotel or your dealer immediately.

Can you please tell us what occured and what was the problem?

Keep us posted!
        GOOD LUCK!!

Comment

• Pilroy
          • Oct 2003

Definitely not a cable issue for my unit :-(

Hi Azeke,

my RSP-1098 started showing a similar behaviour 3 monthes ago: first, the TFT didn't light up sometimes while making volume ajustments (but the relay commanding the TFT was still "clicking", though), three weeks later it DID light up sometimes but most of the time it stayed black (a cold start helped, the TFT kept working then, as long as I didn't put it to sleep. So the backlight was / is OK). Since 1 month, the TFT doesn't light up at all, cold start doesn't help any longer and I have to output the OSD on my projector to be able to operate the 1098.

As I'm still hearing the relay for the backlight clicking, I am pretty sure that an internal component between this relay and the TFT's backlight is defective.

My 1098 is 2,5 years old and - having no tv but a beamer - I've been using the internal TFT all time long in "sleep mode", meaning it had to light up on each volume adjustment, which certainly put some fatigue on the now dead component.

My RSP will go to service next week, I am confident that Rotel (Germany) will fix it under warranty.

Let's keep in touch,
          pit

Comment

• Azeke
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2003

Hello Pilroy,

Thanks for your input. Yes it seems that my 1098 LCD is experiencing the same symptoms that you have been experiencing. I concur, I think "sleep mode" constantly being utilized, affected the relay switching.

I have spoken with Rotel tech support and they said to send it in to my vendor.

I am sending my 1098 in for repair, probably next week, I am just talking to my vendor awaiting temporary replacement until my 1098 is repaired (they don't usually provide that, but I have sent them plenty of business). I am also going to send in my RB-1080 for the internal upgrades during this time. I have been postponing that upgrade for awhile now.

I will keep the Club Rotel community updated.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• Pilroy
              • Oct 2003

Problem fixed with a new video board

I got my RSP-1098 back from Rotel germany yesterday (sent it on december 11th), the TFT is doing fine again. The repair note mentionned : video board replaced, software updated, extensive tests & measurements done. Thanks Rotel's warranty, a no-cost action for me.

Indeed, the firmware is now v 2.5.5 - 050308, which I find pretty interesting knowing that I sent it for repair with v 2.1.8 - 20050308. Until today, I assumed that 2.1.8 was the latest FW for my unit's version. Perhaps someone knows better ?

Anyway, I m glad to have the 1098 back because I need its DAC to handle the digital output of my new Squeezebox ;-)

If it's not too late: Happy new year & blessings for 2007!

Pilroy.

Comment

• Kevin D
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Oct 2002

I know the 1068's etc have a newer version then what's on Rotel's website. If it's like that one, it should just fix some very minor problems only 1% of people experience.

I'll find out what it does and if I can get it (for my own personal benefit as well).

Kevin D.

Comment

• sirbogey
                  • Mar 2006

[QUOTE=Indeed, the firmware is now v 2.5.5 - 050308, which I find pretty interesting knowing that I sent it for repair with v 2.1.8 - 20050308. Until today, I assumed that 2.1.8 was the latest FW for my unit's version. Perhaps someone knows better ?[/QUOTE]

Hi Pilroy, I downloaded the latest software update from Rotel's website in September 2006 and installed the firmware myself. It also reads: v 2.5.5 - 050308.

As far as I remember, initially, I had three choices to set the TFT display, 1) Always On 2) sleep mode 3) off. I believe after the firmware update I get only: sleep mode and off. The sleep mode, I find extremely annoying, so that leaves me with the only option 3) "off". Little bit ricidulous for a £3,000 processor... unless I'm doing something wrong :roll:

Comment

• Kevin D
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2002

Hmm.. 2.5.5 isn't on the NA or Global website. Perhaps you might want to revert to 2.1.8 until I find out what changed. An earlier version of 2.5.5 might have gotten pulled.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Pilroy
                      • Oct 2003

Originally posted by sirbogey
                      Hi Pilroy, I downloaded the latest software update from Rotel's website in September 2006 and installed the firmware myself. It also reads: v 2.5.5 - 050308.

As far as I remember, initially, I had three choices to set the TFT display, 1) Always On 2) sleep mode 3) off. I believe after the firmware update I get only: sleep mode and off. The sleep mode, I find extremely annoying, so that leaves me with the only option 3) "off". Little bit ricidulous for a £3,000 processor... unless I'm doing something wrong :roll:
                      Hi sirbogey,

I just checked on my unit with v 2.5.5, I still have the 3 choices but only as long as I choose "screen + monitor" as OSD output. If I switch to "screen" only ( means: OSD to be displayed solely on the RSP-1098 ), the display mode can be "Always On" or "Sleep mode", the "off" choice is gone.

Looks like Rotel put a kind of logical protection to avoid that users trap themselves and go without visible OSD at all. IMHO a positive thought, as most of the users don't know that they can blindly reactivate the TFT by a trick on the unit itself, even after having put the TFT to "off".

Pilroy

Comment

• sirbogey
                        • Mar 2006

Pilroy, I was wrong with my version number! I looked it up last night: It's 3.1.5 - 050308. I think I must have gotten confused, since I also uploded the firmware for my RSX-1055. Too much Rotel gear... That means you should revisit their website and download the latest firmware!

And coming back to your comment, I believe I don't have the "Always On" choice anymore. Anyway, I'm thinking of resetting the whole thing back to factory standard and starting the whole process one more time. Waiting for a rainy weekend!

Comment

• len73
                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Azeke
                          Hello Pilroy,

I concur, I think "sleep mode" constantly being utilized, affected the relay switching.
                          I also own a 1098 and use it in sleep mode permanently. Would any here really recommend to let the LCD on all the time ?

Thank you for your advice !

Wish you a pleasant day,

Len

Comment

• len73
                            • Jan 2005

No one could help ?!

Comment

• Pilroy
                              • Oct 2003

Len,
                              now that I have my 1098 fixed, I don't want his to happen again, perhaps after the warranty has ended -> I let the TFT always on now, except for movie evenings, where I manually turn it off.

So, no more sleep mode for me!
                              It would have been nice from Rotel to give us a "TFT sleep mode" where the display/backlight DOESN'T light on when one modify the audio-volume.

Pilroy

Comment

• DSGCobra
                                • Feb 2003

I ran my 1098 for 3 years with the TFT screen on all the time. Displaying main system settings menu. Never had an issue with it. Part of the power on macro on my remote was to turn it on.

Comment

• Azeke
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Pilroy
                                  I got my RSP-1098 back from Rotel germany yesterday (sent it on december 11th), the TFT is doing fine again. The repair note mentionned : video board replaced, software updated, extensive tests & measurements done. Thanks Rotel's warranty, a no-cost action for me.

Indeed, the firmware is now v 2.5.5 - 050308, which I find pretty interesting knowing that I sent it for repair with v 2.1.8 - 20050308. Until today, I assumed that 2.1.8 was the latest FW for my unit's version. Perhaps someone knows better ?

Anyway, I m glad to have the 1098 back because I need its DAC to handle the digital output of my new Squeezebox ;-)

If it's not too late: Happy new year & blessings for 2007!

Pilroy.
                                  Same exact information in my repair note as well, but Rotel also added a new LCD screen. In sleep mode, the clicking doesn't sound nearly as loud prior to the replacement. However, I may just turn off my screen to minimize any LCD issues.

My hat's off to Rotel for performing this warranty repair with due diligence, (which also included my RB-1080 h/w upgrade).

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Comment

• chemmech
                                    • Jun 2012

probably the relay (the one that clicks when the display should come on, far right side of the power board, next to the torroid transformers), I had the same problem, I had to replace the relay on My 1098 it had bad contacts... works fine now. the more often the display is turned off and on the quicker the relays contacts can go bad.

Comment

• TomBob23
                                      • Jul 2013

Basic TFT Function-Malfunction Advice

Originally posted by chemmech
                                      probably the relay (the one that clicks when the display should come on, far right side of the power board, next to the torroid transformers), I had the same problem, I had to replace the relay on My 1098 it had bad contacts... works fine now. the more often the display is turned off and on the quicker the relays contacts can go bad.
                                      I have the option to buy a RSP-1098 after trying it out. I am unable to consistently access menus on the TFT display and wonder if it may have a malfunction similar to ones discussed in this thread - or if I am victim of my own procedural "malfunction."

Also, I am only intermittently able to access menus with the On-Screen (TV Monitor) option though this may again be due to a procedural malfunction on my part.

I am looking for information to start basic troubleshooting.

First: If I plug in and start the RSP-1098 with NO input/output connections at all, should the TFT still display the STATUS screen? If so, what steps would I follow to consistently arrive at that point, please? This could pinpoint that I have a component problem.

Second, with all input/output connections made, what steps do I follow to consistently arrive at the STATUS screen on the TV monitor? How would I then move consistenly to the INPUT screen(s)?

I realize that these are questions about the most basic of functions, but I felt as though I understood these basic procedures after reading the manual and Rotel's online tutorial. However, instead of making progress, I seem to be following random/intermittent paths of frustration. If someone could offer some basic advice, I would be eternally grateful.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Oct 2002

There's ways to make the TFT screen go to sleep depending on firmware, but lets start at the basics.

Taking the remote control, hit the AUD button at the top, and then hit the menu button. This should at least show the status screen on the composite output of the 1098. On screen on the component output will depend on the progressive setting in the menu. If using component out to your TV, you may have to try all video inputs before on the Rotel before you can see the menu over component.

If your TV is a long distance away and you do not have a composite cable, you can temporarily move the green component cable to the composite output (unplug the blue and red from rotel) to at least get a readable screen.

From your description, it sounds like the remote is not always in the AUD mode before you hit the menu button.

Kevin D.

Comment

• TomBob23
                                          • Jul 2013

Hi Kevin...

First, I'm sorry for the delay in responding. I had back surgery a little less than 2 weeks ago and am somewhat limited. I'd hoped to have this 1098 set for basic operations before the surgery so I could play with setting as I recuperated, but I ran out of time. I am still using my old AV setup for listening/viewing. The 1098 is in use at this time only to follow your instructions.

Today, I did connect a composite video cable from the 1098's VIDEO OUT to the TV Monitor composite IN. Using your instructions, I am now able to use the remote to access the STATUS SCREEN each time, to move to the main MENU, and to navigate the main MENU and sub-MENUs whenever I choose. However, the composite video is the only connection to the 1098 right now.

I currently use HDMI inputs from the DISH receiver and my current DVD player and use the TV Monitor for video switching. I plan to continue video in that same way (but might be convinced to try COMPONENT cables) and to use the 1098 only for audio functions and switching.

Audio OUT from the DISH to the 1098 will be via OPTICAL DIGITAL audio cable, and Audio OUT from the DVD player to the 1098 will be via RCA DIGITAL coaxial audio cable.

I will continue to dedicate a composite cable to the TV Monitor for set-up and/or changes with the 1098. However, the TFT display should prove to be invaluable for some of these types of adjustments when the TV Monitor input is in use from another source.

I do not care to use the TFT screen for any purpose other than to view STATUS, MENU, and SET-UP screens.

My next question is whether or not the TFT screen is available as display that can be dedicated only for use from input from the 1098 -- or does it require some kind of loop back from a signal sent to the TV Monitor?

Thanks for you patience and help. Once I resolve my question about the TFT screen, I will ask someone to come to help me lift the 1098 into place and to help with completing connections.

Thanks, Tom

Comment

• PewterTA
                                            • Nov 2004

In the Menu if you go to Display, there should be an output option that will list the on-screen or TV Monitor (something like that) or both. You can set it to whatever you want, mine only displays on the TFT.

To display what's on your TV you can use a connection through the 1098 to display (though this limits to analog signals only (composite, svideo, component). Otherwise to see what's on the screen, on the TFT you would have to run a cable from the TV to one of the video inputs on the 1098. Now the way I used to have it, my DVD player would output both HDMI and composite at the same time, so I just hooked the HDMI up to the TV and the composite to the 1098 to get both on screen. I hardly used it, so I just left it as is without displaying anything but the menu and options of the 1098.
                                            -Dan

Comment

• TomBob23
                                              • Jul 2013

Pewter TA... Thanks. At the moment, for ease of setup, I have the Display option set for Both. However, I see only the output to the TV-Monitor and no Status, Menus, etc on the TFT. What I have been trying to determine is whether the TFT is defective or whether I am missing a setting that would allow it to work. I did see an option somewhere along the line that allowed the TFT to be Always On (not sure of terminology) and set it that way. I still do not see any TFT display and have to wonder if some part of the TFT display operation is defective - as was mentioned earlier in this thread.
                                              My assumption about the TFT display is that IF it is set to show a display, it should show something on start-up - even if no input or output is connected to the 1098 - and that a person should then be able to initiate the Status Screen by pressing AUD-MENU on the remote.
                                              That is my starting point for troubleshooting.
                                              Thanks for your reply.

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                • Nov 2004

Yes when it starts up it shows Rotel and the model number, then should display the menu (input and options) it's set at for about 5 seconds or so before going blank).

Each time you adjust the volume it should display and if you hit the menu, it should display as well.

To me it seem like the TFT is not working properly (that is as long as you verify that it's set to display on both). I know one time my TFT wouldn't display the menu and I had to cycle through the options (TV, TFT, Both, and back to TFT) and then it displayed again. Was weird.
                                                -Dan

Comment

• TomBob23
                                                  • Jul 2013

Thank you SO much for this information. This is precisely the information I needed so I can start a troubleshooting process.

Your description of the initial start-up screens and of the display for volume changes appears on the TV-Monitor just as you describe, but I have yet to see this on the TFT display. The TFT is currently set for "Both," but I may be experiencing something like you describe in your last paragraph. Now that I know it should appear there, I can play with it and possibly get a display on the TFT.

I am trying/buying this 1098 from a company but through a very trusted friend of long standing. He says he saw the TFT display working befor the unit was shipped to me, so it's entirely possible that I will resurrect the TFT from some kind of "Was weird" situation as you experienced.

I'll tinker for awhile and post again by at least tomorrow.

Thanks again for your information!!!

Comment

• TomBob23
                                                    • Jul 2013

Using the On-Screen TV-Monitor to reach the DISPLAY submenu, I set the TFT SCREEN to ALWAYS ON and the OSD OUTPUT to SCREEN + Mon. The TFT display is dark. If I cycle through the OSD OUTPUT options (SCREEN, Mon, SCREEN + Mon), I hear what sounds like a switch/relay clicking and sometimes see a flash of light momentarily (less than a second) appear only on the left portion of the TFT screen. Also, when I shut the 1098 off via the OFF switch on the remote and then turn it back on with the ON switch on the remote, I will also see that same momentary flash of light on the left side of the TFT screen.

Presumably, there is a malfunction in some portion of the control system for the TFT screen only. The ON-SCREEN TV-Monitor display appears regularly and allows MENU and submenu selections and allows changes to be made to various settings. I assume I will be able to do my setups for inputs/outputs/speaker levels, etc, but will have to make a choice whether I want this particular unit or not with the TFT display inoperative and/or if I want to pursue repairs.

Again, thanks for the help here. At least I now have reasonable suspicion that the TFT display -- or some portion of its control system -- is defective... Unless someone else has a suggestion.

Comment

• TomBob23
                                                      • Jul 2013

Does anyone know if the two relays associated with the TFT screen (and possibly other functions) are push-in types or are they soldered to the board? These are located toward the front and right of the main board (horizonal to the bottom of the main case). One cycles with the Always On - Sleep Mode - Always Off selection sequence. The other cycles with the SCREEN - SCREEN+Mon - Mon selection sequence.

Thanks, Tom

Comment

• PewterTA
                                                        • Nov 2004

I looked through all my pictures I had when I modified my Rotel units and the only one I don't have is the 1098.... From what I remember though all the boards are separated, but I can't remember if the relays were soldered or not. I sort of think they were....but not positive.

I just had it opened up replacing the fuses in it a week or two ago... and I can't remember (course I wasn't looking at those either).
                                                        -Dan

Comment

• TomBob23
                                                          • Jul 2013

Thanks for the reply and for looking for photos. I, too, fell that the relays are probably soldered. I'd tried to very gently wiggle one to see if it moved, and it felt very securely attached - no wiggle at all. I decided to ask if anyone knew for sure and think I'll simply go with both our conclusions that they are indeed soldered.

I actually found elsewhere on this site four photos of the interior of the 1098 -- without the sheet metal shield that covers the array of cards (that comprise the inputs and outputs) in the rear. Now, I better understand how the unit is assembled "mechanically." I'm still feeling around in the fog for how complicated/pricey it will be to get this TFT display to work, so maybe I'll learn more as I go.

One fairly subjective question: Any opinions on how solidly Rotels are built - specifically the RSP-1098? Most of what I've read here and there indicates that Rotel builds robust equipment. I've been using a Yamaha receiver (top of the Yamaha line when new) for 20 years without any electronic / mechanical problems aside from the remote. Obviously, I'm a little slow to adapt to changing times, but it's time to upgrade in quality, technology, and age. The 1098 seems perfect to meet those needs at a reasonable price, but at 10 or so years of age, is the 1098 getting too old in terms of reliability? Should I just save my pennies, nickels, and dimes for awhile longer to buy something newer?

Comments please.

Thanks, Tom
                                                          Last edited by TomBob23; 14 August 2013, 12:47 Wednesday.

Comment

• TomBob23
                                                            • Jul 2013

I'd like to add just a little to finish comments about my general experience with this RSP-1098 and my specific experiences with the TFT screen.

Eventually, the TFT display finally worked for a short time through no effort on my part and apparently only because its intermittent problem went away. That the display started to work, if only for a short time, seemed to confirm information I'd seen here regarding failing relays. Additionally, I received some information from Rotel that suggested their fix was to replace the two (2) original 2-AMP with two (2) 5-AMP relays (P/N: RY30025) and to replace four (4) apparently associated caps (P/N: CP05171). I was never able to learn if there was a service bulletin associated with this repair.

Unfortunately, other problems were also occurring with this RSP-1098 as I attempted to set it up and refine the setup. These problems primarily had to do with the unit's inability to retain assigned inputs and with intermittent issues regarding all preout signals, though there were a few other abnormalities, also.

Eventually, once I had become very familiar with the set-up process, I began a systematic process of logging issues and attempting diagnosis. The bottom line was that there were problems in this RSP-1098 beyond the TFT display, and I simply returned it.

I appreciate the help I received here as I was had become really confused, mistaking the unit's erratic behavior for my perceived inability to learn and complete the set-up process.

Thanks, Tom

Comment

• chemmech
                                                              • Jun 2012

just an update, I had installed a new relay for the tft screen backlight and it seemed to work for awhile, then it started glitching again... in My setup I have a tube amp which was not built from the company properly with one of the output tubes, an el34, was not actually soldered to it's proper area the ground it just had a wire wrapped on the terminal, the sound from the amp was not good at all that's what prompted Me to investigate the amp for a problem.. after I fixed the tube amp by soldering the wire to it's ground the rotel 1098 stopped glitching the tft light to stay on, the glithching before the fix had been happening even when the tube amp was not connected rotel 1098 by an outboard rca amp selector box I have in the system, weather the tube amp was powered off or on, or when the outboard rca amp selector was set to connect to the tube amp or a different amp to the rotel 1098. seems as though the bad ground on the tube amp was injecting noise or rf hash into the ground and causing the rotel to have many glitches. after fixing the tube amp, the rotel as well as the tube amp have been trouble free...

Comment

Working...
                                                              😀
                                                              😂
                                                              🥰
                                                              😘
                                                              🤢
                                                              😎
                                                              😞
                                                              😡
                                                              👍
                                                              👎
                                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                              Search Result for "|||"