X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • iamhui
    • Nov 2006

New new new

hi all,

this is the first time i'm here and first time getting a Rotel.. and first time purchasing a hi-fi..

For the pass few months, I been searching for a suitable system for the very first time and is tough, really tough. Got different feedback from friends, sales personal and Hi-Fi magazine. Finally, fall in love with Rotel... nice & clean design and within my budget. Looking at the magazine, the highly recommend is the Rotel RA-05 which got 5 stars rating for the Integrated Amp. I was not impress at all and decided to go for the RA-06 which have a decent sounds but lack of the "warm" sounds produce by others like Creeks, Roskan etc.

The sales person decided to hook up both RB1070 & RC1070. Is sound really different and I do enjoy the vocal and the music I have try. Therefore I have settle with both RB1070 and RC1070 with a pair of floorstand Focal Chrous 716S speaker. The system will deliver next 2 week.

I need some Rotel guru advise after reading the thread.
    1. Is this a good combination or I should replace with a better model?
    2. Should I trust the magazine as it comment the RC1070 is bad.. real bad.
    3. Any CD player to recommend to match the Rotel.

Hope to hear from you guys soon.
    Cheers

hui
  • voxy
    • Jan 2005

Why bother about magazine or other peoples review? Trust your ears!

I would suggest going for RB1080 instead to pair with the Focal so as to give the vocals some lift and improve the soundstage.... nice speakers.

CDP... go Rotel to compliment the set up. I would suggest picking up a used one. If not you may want to try some Made in CHina gears. A good one would be Opera Audio 120 Linear. Some other forum rage about East Sound.

Good luck

Comment

• iamhui
      • Nov 2006

Hi voxy,

thanks for your comment.
      As I am new to the hifi, magazine is the only source..
      Now i found this place.. believe I will get more precious info and help here..

Will try the RB1080 this weekend and hope the price jump is not too far..

As for the CDP... will hunt for a used one.. if there is and the price is right.
      For the China gears... it just don't match my new rotel.. hee hee

cheers

Comment

• IronBone
        • Feb 2006

iamhui,

The Rotel CD player is one of the best and has won many awards. As you said, it also matches, which is nice.

RCD-1072 HDCD Single Play Compact Disc Player

Listen to that compared to others while you're listening to the RB1080

Comment

• iamhui
          • Nov 2006

Originally posted by IronBone
          iamhui,

The Rotel CD player is one of the best and has won many awards. As you said, it also matches, which is nice.

RCD-1072 HDCD Single Play Compact Disc Player

Listen to that compared to others while you're listening to the RB1080
          hi IronBorn,

great.. will check out the CD player as mention.
          BTW, how bad is the RB1070...? My preference for listening is more on vocal, new age and jazz.. not loud music that drive my neighbour crazy What I want is the warm and clarity..

Hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers
          iamhui

Comment

• voxy
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by iamhui
            hi IronBorn,

BTW, how bad is the RB1070...? My preference for listening is more on vocal, new age and jazz.. not loud music that drive my neighbour crazy What I want is the warm and clarity..
            It is not bad for the price point.... but for additional power of RB1080, you get more out of your JMlabs. This is especially so at moderate listening level, which is why I wrote vocal lift. You get the singer standing in front and not sitting... get what I mean... I think it is a no brainer upgrade.

Comment

• iamhui
              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by voxy
              It is not bad for the price point.... but for additional power of RB1080, you get more out of your JMlabs. This is especially so at moderate listening level, which is why I wrote vocal lift. You get the singer standing in front and not sitting... get what I mean... I think it is a no brainer upgrade.
              can't wait to have another round on the Rotel.. and the 1080 this weekend..
              Thanks ... will let you know the verdict.. :W

Any website for use Rotel CD player..ONLY rotel CD player.. :T

Cheers

Comment

• jayhawk75
                • Apr 2006

audiogon

Comment

• Joey_V
                  • Jul 2005

Or... go used and get the RB1090.

BTW, congrats on the new Rotels!

Joey
                  Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
                  Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
                  System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• voxy
                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by jayhawk75
                    audiogon

Comment

• Ted
                      • May 2006

Originally posted by voxy
                      Why bother about magazine or other peoples review? Trust your ears!

I would suggest going for RB1080 instead to pair with the Focal so as to give the vocals some lift and improve the soundstage.... nice speakers.

CDP... go Rotel to compliment the set up. I would suggest picking up a used one. If not you may want to try some Made in CHina gears. A good one would be Opera Audio 120 Linear. Some other forum rage about East Sound.

Good luck
                      I agree! :T

I recently built a system around the RC-1070, RB-1080, and RCD-1072 and have been very pleased. The CD player will compliment the rest of the system. I think you'd have a hard time finding a better pre-amp for the money.

The addition power of the RB-1080 over the RB-1070 will not be so much to play louder as much as to bring more of the music out. Tighter, better defined bass etc. The 1070 isn't bad, the 1080 is just better for only $300 more retail, it is worth it.

Good luck and enjoy!! :W

Ted
                      Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• thyname
                        • Jan 2005

I have RB-1080, RC-1070 and RCD-1072, cannot be happier. I initially had RB-1070 and traded it in for 1080, I suggest you get 1080 from the beginning. You won't be sorry. Also, make sure to get some quality speaker cables and ICs. Check with Doug (aka Lex) in this website.

Comment

• chinets
                          • Jun 2005

if you go with Rotel ,which I think is a wise choice, and within your budget and that your own ears are happy ,then go for the 1080 and definitely the RCD -1072 which is by the way EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!

If you go the ROTEL route, then compliment the rest of your gear with Rotel too, as they will give a better synergy in sound.

I love the RCD-1072..very musical and well built..A fantastic CD player and has HDCD!!

Keep us posted on what you get!!

Cheers

Comment

• iamhui
                            • Nov 2006

hello hello hi..
                            Firstly.. thanks for the input on the 1080 & the CD player.. You guys are great...
                            I was rushing for project last week and I did not make it to the shop for the 1080. Will do it this weekend and guys... wait for my good news.

As for the CD player.. will be hunting either the new or old one.. hope can dig some $$ from wife.. hee..

My house will be ready next month and the one of the things to look forward is the ROTEL set up... I just can't wait.. is killing..

Cheers..

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"