X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IronBone
    • Feb 2006

RSX-1067 or separates..???

I'm new to the higher end of audio and I'm wondering what some of you think about purchasing a RSX-1067. First of all I haven't heard a Rotel system with my own ears but I will be getting the opportunity within a couple hours of now. I have read many threads off HTGUIDE.com and it seems that eveyone is very pleaseed with the value in their Rotel systems. I don't have a strict budget but I would like to keep it under $3000. Under $2000 would be real nice.

Current:
    HK AVR75
    Paradigm Monitor 90p -F
    Paradigm CC-370 - C
    Paradigm ADP-370 - R

40% music
    60% movies

Looking at picking up a RSX-1067 or possibly doing separates from Rotel. Am I wasting my time by buying a 1067 ($1600) that I will want to upgrade later or will it suffice? The other option I was looking at is Rotel RMB-1075 ($999)with a RSP-1068 (~$1200). I really don't need the 7 channels but I could use them in a different zone with the 1067. The 5 channel amp is good enough for what I looking at doing right now, one room. Above prices are quoted from local dealer.

Any owners that have had a 1067 and then upgraded to separates. If so, why?

ALSO, is the RMB-1077 worth the cash?

Your thoughts are much appreciated!!
  • twitchie
    • Apr 2003

Given your split, you could benefit from getting the lower model receiver and a separate power amp for your front channels - get the RSX-1057 (or whatever is current) and a nice 2-channel amp for the front

Personally, I moved to a separate 2-channel system and find my RSX-1055 much more than adequate for HT duty.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Comment

• cfrizz
      • Apr 2006

Hi IronBone. If you just intend to have one system for both music & HT I would go with separates & get the beefiest 5 channel amp that you can afford.

I always recommend 200wpc as the starting point for power since it will drive anything with ease & it will be with you no matter what prepro or receiver you upgrade to!

I personally was NOT impressed with the 1077 when I heard it. the 200 wpc analog Rotel amp left it in the dust!
      Cathy
      ---------
      Sunfire TGP III, Sunfire Cinema Grande 405wpc 5 channel Amplifier, :B Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Onkyo TA2600 Tape Deck, Pioneer Elite 47-A DVD, Sony 32" XBR TV, Sony PS-454 Turntable, Polk RTA-8T Main Speakers, Boston 920 Center Channel, Boston PV600 Sub Woofer, Polk FXi-3 Surround Speakers

Comment

• deke
        • Dec 2005

The separates route will give you more and less expensive upgrade options. The one thing I would caution you on is the 1068. By all accounts it is a great processor - but it is getting long in tooth and is anticipated to be replaced relatively soon.

Comment

• IronBone
          • Feb 2006

I'm getting the feeling that I should spend the money on the large amp and go with a separate processor. I will regurgitate this and let you all on what I decide. I may just go with the smaller reciever and use it later with an amp that I purchase later. I know one of them had a outs on it for an amp.

Thanks for your comments and please feel free to leave more. I'm not quite sure on what I'll end up with but I'll be gettin me self something soon!

Comment

• Broker
            • Nov 2006

Rotel 1067

I was in the same situation 1 year ago, I thought about the separates vs. the 1067. I went with the 1067 because it allowed me to use 7.1 right away and I could always add another separate.

The RSX1067 is plenty to drive my entire system and it sounds awesome.

In fact the 1067 has so much power that I can never really crank it to get its full effect!

I say go with the 1067 you wont be disappointed

Comment

• deke
              • Dec 2005

For what it's worth, I have the RMB-1075 driving a set of Paradigm Studio 100 v2s and CC v2 and it sounds great, so that should also be good for your Monitors. A lot of folks will tell you you need the 1095 to get the most out of the 100s and maybe they are right, but I am pretty happy with mine as is.

Comment

• shadow 8
                • Aug 2004

There is less than three db of volume advantage for the 1095 over the 1075, and the circuitry is the same, so either should work fine unless you are on the border line power-wise with 100 wpc.

Comment

• IronBone
                  • Feb 2006

Thank you all for your comments and thoughts, I appreciate it. I ended up reasoning like this. I didn't need the 7 channel right now and my room does not allow for setup of a 7 channel surround. I have a small game room that I could have used for the other 2 channels but I can always hook up my HK down there and use that instead. I heard the others when talking about their Paradigms and how they didn't need a ton of power to stretch their speakers. If I need more and I'm sure I will someday when I upgrade again, I can just add the power amp to the processor. I knew my 90ps were efficient so I went with the newest receiver by Rotel and ended up with the RSX-1057. I can always add the 200wpc power amp later, right?...right! At least when I do go seperates I can always use the RSX-1057 as my HT and upgrade that if necessary and/or add the 2 CHANNEL AMP for my music.

*******BUTTTTT...now. I hook everything up last night and something weird is really happening, maybe someone has seen this before. I have a 3 year old Samsung 56" DLP rear projection (sorry no model # on me) with the 2nd generation Texas Instuments DLP chip, that I know. It the one with a 1/2 inch brushed aluminum bezel around the screen, looks really nice. Anywho, I can get the video to come up through my Rotel up until the point that hit MENU on the remote. Once I hit menu my TV screen weirds out on me and starts to looks like I'm loosing reception on an old console TV. The screen get's warped and then it will stay warped and un-readalbe so I can not navigate through the Rotel driven menu options. To fix this I attached the composite video cable and can navigate via that route. I can turn on PROGRESSIVE through the inputs and it will work but as soon as I hit menu it will freak out the TV and then my TV will tell me it's an unsupported signal. With progressive off, it will warp the screen and make it impossible to see what you're doing but at least it's a signal.

I've also tried using the 480p connection on my TV and the same thing happens. With PROGRESSIVE on it looses signal when I hit the menu button the the Rotel remote and with progressive off it warps the screen and makes it so I can't navigate. Is it my Samsung TV or does anyone know what I can try to change on the Rotel. I thought I tried IT ALL last night but I may have missed something. Any thoughts are welcome, thank you.

I love the sound of this receiver already and I want to keep it. Then again, if I can't navigate the Rotel menus, I don't know how I can unless I buy a different TV, which I'm not willing to do quite yet.

Any comments are appreciated!

Comment

• Kevin D
                    Ultra Senior Member
                    • Oct 2002

It's your TV as I've run into it before. If I remember right, there's two component inputs on the TV, one 480i and one 480p+. The menu SHOULD show through the 480i input, but not when there's a DVD player or HD box selected. It will not show through the 480p input, but will then be able to pass the DVD and HD signals. You definitely need to set any video input using a 480P or higher signal to progressive.

The best solution is to keep the composite cable hooked up and use that when you need to change settings.

Kevin D.

Comment

• IronBone
                      • Feb 2006

Thanks for the response Kevin.

I may have sold my TV over sushi last night to a friend! I just sent him an email to see how serious he really was but we'll see what happens.

Yes, you are absolutely right on the 480i port in the rear of the TV. I know I had to setup my XBOX via that port on the original setup. Oh well, I'll do what everyone has recommended and use the composite video when I need to make adjustments. Not the greatest option but it sure does sound good!

Take care!

Comment

• NMG
                        • Oct 2004

Congrats on your purchase! Given the fact that your 90P's are also powered, I think the 1057 is more than enough to drive the mid's/tweeters on those as well as the center and surrounds. I'm not even sure you would need a seperate amp for 2 channel with those particular speakers.

Comment

• chinets
                          • Jun 2005

Go separates especially that you are divided HT 60% and Music 40%.

For HT and Multichannel Music like SACD and DVD-A you would need that extra power juice. Processor and separate Amp Is the best way to go in your case. Rotel is an excellent choice ,but let your ears make that statement, and audition other makes in your budget. Rotel will do you very well In HT and Music ,so if you are happy, go that route ,but I would insisit on either the 1095 or 1077 amps from Rotel.
                          Congrats!!

Keep us posted!
                          Cheers

Comment

• IronBone
                            • Feb 2006

Thanks for all the input everyone! I'll keep you posted on what more I do buy!

Ciao!

Thomas

Comment

• Sticky Hawk
                              • Sep 2006

Hey IronBone, I live in Woodbury (you know one of those mysterious places on the other side of the river). Are you shopping at Hi-Fi Sound or at some private HT installers? Just curious I learned alot from the folks at Hi-Fi they were very patient with me asking lots of questions. I also had a private HT installer who was very good, let me know if you need any points of contact.

Good luck in your search!

Comment

• IronBone
                                • Feb 2006

Hey Sticky Minnesota, I sent you an email. Reply, I'd like to hear a little more about Hi-Fi.

Later!

Comment

Working...
                                😀
                                😂
                                🥰
                                😘
                                🤢
                                😎
                                😞
                                😡
                                👍
                                👎
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"