X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • voxy
    • Jan 2005

RDV 1092 vs Denon 3930CI

With the new Denon released, how does the Rotel stack up against this formidable palyer in terms of audio & video performance? Anyone did a comparison between the 2?

My agents here do not have the 2 player together for testing, so I need to gather from any forumer's feedback. Thank you. :T
  • Blindamood
    • Sep 2003

While I am a big fan of Rotel, and I'll admit that I have never used either of these units myself, I do not think this comparison is even close.

For the same list price ($1499), the Denon offers so many more features. I have read many great reviews of the Denon, and its spec list is very impressive. Two of the most important to me would be the ability to play SACDs, and flexible bass management (at 40/60/80/100/120 MHz) for all formats. The rest of its features can be found here:

Denon 3930CI

I honestly do not understand how Rotel thinks they can charge the same amount for the RDV-1092, when feature-loaded competitors like this are readily available.
    Brad

Comment

• global
      • Sep 2006

Well the Denon might be feature packed but when it comes to sound and picture the Denon will be in for a ride.

Comment

• Audiophiliac
        • Apr 2006

I wouldnt count the Denon out for quality in either arena. They have proven time and time again that they can bring superb audio and especially video in their higher end players. And the latest models are better than anything they have made yet. The 3930 is basically an updated 5910 at less than half the cost. I would choose a Denon DVD player over a Rotel. But dont take my word for it.

Comment

• speiche
          • Nov 2006

Last week i have change from a rdv-1092 to denon 3930. The picture is much better, more sharp and deep. The sound of the rotel is great but the sound in surround of the denon too.

Comment

• Bluespower
            • Sep 2005

Over the summer I switched horses from a Rotel 1060 to a Denon 3800. The Rotel would pitch a fit with some of my DVD-As and I was getting spooked after hearing comments from other owners when servicing was required. The Denon has a superior picture and set-up software. The audio is within an RCH of the Rotel. I will probably be looking at Denon again once the format wars have ended.
            Bluespower

Comment

• Clepto
              • Feb 2006

From a video perspective, the Denon wins hands down. From a redbook CD perspective, I'd probably give the nod to Rotel, but as an overall universal player, Rotel can't compete with the Denon, since it offers both SACD as well as DVD-A playback, not to mention top notch video.

Personally, I'd go with Denon for video, and get a Rotel CD player for pure Redbook playback.

Comment

• voxy
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by speiche
                Last week i have change from a rdv-1092 to denon 3930. The picture is much better, more sharp and deep. The sound of the rotel is great but the sound in surround of the denon too.
                Hi Speiche, I gather from your input that the Rotel sounds better than Denon. I would appreciate if you can provide some insights on 2 channel audio, 5.1 channel as well as digital channel if possible.

Due to the limited budget and space, I am looking forward to a good sounding dvd player (not necessary to be univeral player) that can surpass the audio performance of the older RCD 1070.

Comment

• Nolan B
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2005

I can tell you I went from a RDV 1060 to a Toshiba HD A1 HD DVD player and RCD 1072 and am VERY happy with both the audio and video :T

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                    • May 2004

Yes, I'd vote for going with a Toshida HDA1 with a Rotel RCD1072 and will still be cheaper with either the 3930 or RDV1092 option, comparing regular retail prices.

Comment

• sirbogey
                      • Mar 2006

Rotel DVD players are simply lacking in quality of their excellent processors and amps. The new Denon has so much more to offer at the same price. I'm sticking with my RDV1060, purchased 2 years ago, since I don't feel like changing a player every year. The Oppo 971 cost me $200 plus shipping, but the video quality is as good as Rotels and has 720p. I learned my lessons and that's get a dedicated CD player and state of the art DVD player, ie Denon.

Comment

• style
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Feb 2006

dvdplayer

Hallo,

Rotel fan for pre&amp ut dvd 3930 Denon is really great!

(dvd denon 3930, blu ray pioneer BDP-HD1, HD DVD Panasonic)
                        all for the europe (scart)

style

Comment

• voxy
                          • Jan 2005

Originally posted by sirbogey
                          Rotel DVD players are simply lacking in quality of their excellent processors and amps. The new Denon has so much more to offer at the same price. I'm sticking with my RDV1060, purchased 2 years ago, since I don't feel like changing a player every year. The Oppo 971 cost me $200 plus shipping, but the video quality is as good as Rotels and has 720p. I learned my lessons and that's get a dedicated CD player and state of the art DVD player, ie Denon.
                          Thank you for all the comments. If you have limited space and need one box for all. Which one will you pick if you are 80% music and 20% movies?

Comment

• Vicente
                            • May 2004

Voxy, I reccomend you to read the post Rotel vs Marantz for Audio Quality and check the comments Chinets and I did about the Marantz 9600 at the end of the post.

Maybe it's not better than Denon in PQ but it really sounds very well. It's not really cheap, but if you look for an universal player (everything but HD) with very good music capabilities you should audition it.

Comment

• speiche
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by voxy
                              Thank you for all the comments. If you have limited space and need one box for all. Which one will you pick if you are 80% music and 20% movies?
                              RDV-1092

50% - 50% : 3930

Comment

• Vicente
                                • May 2004

Voxy, I reccomend you to read the post Rotel vs Marantz for Audio Quality and check the comments Chinets and I did about the Marantz 9600 at the end of the post.

Maybe it's not better than Denon in PQ but it really sounds very well. It's not really cheap, but if you look for an universal player (everything but HD) with very good music capabilities you should audition it.

Comment

• style
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Feb 2006

Dvd

Denon for dvd in HT have nothing too lose vs. Marantz.

(i go direct from dvd to my plasma in hdmi --> top quality)

Style

Comment

• sirbogey
                                    • Mar 2006

voxy,

I picked the Rotel, but my decision was made 2y ago and I'm 80% HT and 20% music (at least for the living room). I also wanted to match my gear and HDMI wasn't really a big issue back then.

If I was 80% music and 20% I'd go for the Rotel 1092, if both were offered at the same price. But that's just me. :B

Comment

• global
                                      • Sep 2006

Everyone here seems to dislike the 1092 but not me and its not only a good music player watched it on pioneers 1080p plasma against the Marantz 9600 and it burried the 9600 in ways of depht and 3d skills as for Denon sure they make good universal players that got all the bells and whistles but when it comes to pure performance i havent seen one thing that would make it tear apart the 1092 picturewise.
                                      When it comes to the Marantz 9600 its beginning to get old and that might make for a bargain because it is better at all the bells and whistles than the Denon and it plays music better my vote goes to the Rotel/Marantz any day of the week.

Comment

• voxy
                                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by global
                                        Everyone here seems to dislike the 1092 but not me and its not only a good music player watched it on pioneers 1080p plasma against the Marantz 9600 and it burried the 9600 in ways of depht and 3d skills as for Denon sure they make good universal players that got all the bells and whistles but when it comes to pure performance i havent seen one thing that would make it tear apart the 1092 picturewise.
                                        When it comes to the Marantz 9600 its beginning to get old and that might make for a bargain because it is better at all the bells and whistles than the Denon and it plays music better my vote goes to the Rotel/Marantz any day of the week.
                                        Hi Global, I believe the strength of the Rotel lies in its 720P and above upconversion. The National Semicon chip does a very good job in that area. So between Marantz and Rotel, which one sound better in 2 channel?

Comment

• Vicente
                                          • May 2004

Again, in the thread Rotel vs Marantz for Audio Quality you will find my two cents, comparing Rotel and Marantz.

But if you have a chance, compare both together and decide yourself. I have to choose between the two and it's being a very difficul task (price, look, performance...)

Regards

Comment

• global
                                            • Sep 2006

Which one of the two sounds best in 2 channel is in your preference for me the sound of the Rotel is number 1 but the 9600 is an equal it just has another soundpicture alltogether so listen and decide for yourself either way you will be pleased with the performance.

Comment

• Clepto
                                              • Feb 2006

Hi Global, I believe the strength of the Rotel lies in its 720P and above upconversion. The National Semicon chip does a very good job in that area. So between Marantz and Rotel, which one sound better in 2 channel?
                                              The video portion of the Rotel is OK, but the audio section shines. However, with the 480i HDMI output, it would be a great transport to a video processor. Both 4:4:4 and RGB clipped head and toe room, though video levels were fine in 4:2:2. Component video also is worse than HDMI with the Rotel player, and menu navigation is a bit slower than ideal.

Comment

• voxy
                                                • Jan 2005

Thank you guys, it is of great help.

In addition to these inputs. I compared the review in stereoplay between the Arcam DV137, Rotel RDV 1092 and Denon 3930CI. From the same reviewer, picture reference goes to Denon, sound goes to Rotel & Arcam by a very little margin.

So my conclusion is that either one of these players are good value for the money.

Comment

Working...
                                                😀
                                                😂
                                                🥰
                                                😘
                                                🤢
                                                😎
                                                😞
                                                😡
                                                👍
                                                👎
                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                Search Result for "|||"