X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • frank1203
    • Apr 2006

SACD Sound Quality Thru Multi-Input

Hello,

I just recently hooked up my Sony DVD/SACD through my RSX-1056 Multi-Input so I could play SACDs. My system consists of the 1056; 1095 Amp, and Paradogm Reference Speakers, so I have some pretty good stuff.

I just purchased a Single Layer Multi-Channel SACD (Celine Dion) and played it yesterday. I was very disappointed with the sound quality as it was much too "flat" for my musical taste. I realize that the Multi-Input on the 1056 can only be set to By-Pass, but does anyone have any other ideas as to how I can brighten up the sound. Do the HF/LF tone controls work? Can I run the SACD through my 2 channel analog EQ in some way? I welcome your opinion. Thanks.
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

You can probably insert your 2channel EQ into the L/R channels between the preamp and amp. OTOH, you might try another disc.

Kal
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• frank1203
      • Apr 2006

The issue with that is that I am using 5.1 in the multi-input but will only be equalizing 2 channels. Any way to EQ all the channels?

Comment

• apodaca
        • Jun 2006

Not all players are made the same nor are disks in particular the ES line of Sony incorporates the dedicated DSD chip for SACD, and the video circuitry can be turned off during music playack. I have literaly owned and compared the following: DVP-NS90V, DVP-NC80V (changer), DVP-NC555ES (Changer), DVP-NS999ES and finally DVP-NS9100ES. The first two are the mid level Sony components and the SACD sound was good but a much better experience in multichannel.

The 555ES changer (got on closeout at Tweeter for cheap) was a noticable step up in sound quality with a better detail and depth and CD quality was a minor improvement over the previous two. I then purchased the 999ES single disk player and the sound improved over the 555ES with extended frequency response at both ends (much better bass definition) and more clarity, CD playback was noticably improved as well. Only complaint up to this point was the soundstage was lacking height. Recently I scored a 9100ES on closeout (because of silver color) and was surprised to feel it had a beefier heft to it - taking a look inside revealed many improvements over the 999ES). At any rate, this player is fantastic at both CD and SACD playback, and I have nothing to complain about it, the improvement was a sweeter high end and larger soundstage. I am now left wondering what the XA9000ES flagship SACD player will do. At any rate, I suggest you try a better player if you dont have one and a few other disks before you make any conclusions. For reference I own a mid level JM-Labs Focal 7.1 system matched with Rotel RB1070 + RSX-1056 and 40+ SACDs.

Comment

• Kal Rubinson
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by frank1203
          The issue with that is that I am using 5.1 in the multi-input but will only be equalizing 2 channels. Any way to EQ all the channels?
          Yes, there are two ways. One is to get 2 more EQs. The other is to play the stereo track into the EQ and then apply PLII or siimilar processing.

Kal
          Kal Rubinson

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"