X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • reddavid
    • Dec 2000

Headphones and Control Out

Aaaaaaahhhhhh Chhhhhoooooooo,

Sorry, had to sneeze, shaking the dust off this forum. Look, a new post!

Listening to CD/DVD thru headphones - late at night. ACTUALLY, running the B&K headphone out to an SWR bass amp "effects return" and rocking to the tunes with my new G&L L2500 bass guitar - so much sound, that only I can hear! Bass Amp speakers muted, headphones plugged into bass amp jack.

Here's a question for the esteemed B&K crowd. I learned that when I switch my Ref 30 to "Stereo 0" for headphone use, the Control Out 1 powers off, killing power to amps, etc. It's a feature! So, they're not really switching off the line output to the amp, they're switching the amp off (get it?)

Here's the problem, My stereo amp is running through the surge protector (that's another topic, I know) - so the control out from B&K is really controlling the power conditioner - which has stuff like CD, DVD in switched outlets (lazy factor). So, when the power conditioner cuts out, so does my CD/DVD (input source). Then I can only hear myself play, and that's not a good thing at this point?!

Anyone know of a way to 'mute' the speakers without killing power via control out? If i change the setup in advanced menus for control out 1 - the speakers stay on, even though i press Stereo 0!.

My solution so far has been to turn the volume down on the speakers and listen thru the DVD headphone jack. I suppose I could run the DVD through an unswitched outlet, and leave it on (it does have a sleep mode) and/or turn it off manually.) Just thought of this, with the Pronto, I bet I could turn the DVD on/off with the 'master' power on/off buttons...thinking...

Anyway, thought I'd give the B&K experts something to think about. Love the forum and the chance to pose a question or 2.

It was either this question, or WHERE'S MY DPL II? But I know better, now.)

Thanks,

John
  • John Kotches
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2001

Supposedly the Ref20 --> Ref 30 upgrades are about ready to be released, and the Ref 30 DPL-2 and DTS-ES upgrades will be released when the new Motorola DSPs are ready (ie passed QA).

I suspect this will involve new firmware and a new DSP board.

Yes, it's frustrating.

Regards,

---
    Editor, PC/Home Theater
    Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity
    My Home Theater
    NEC LT-150 specific page.
    ---
    Editor, PC/Home Theater
    Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity
    My Home Theater
    NEC LT-150 specific page.

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"