X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DanB
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2000

TAG- possibility?

Just wanting to hear some feedback from everyone on the AV32R...I currently have the Lexicon MC-1, and after years of loyalty- I may jump ship and try another processor. All in all, I love the MC-1, but Lexicon has left a little bit of a bad taste in my mouth concerning upgrades and future support for the unit. Looking on the TAG website, I see different upgrades being offered left and right, while the MC-1 has no announcements or promises for its future. Every passing day its value goes down, and the trade in program on the new MC-12 draws to a close.
    So..here I am..looking at my options. One problem I have had with the TAG is finding a dealer willing to negotiate on the price. I have had good luck with EAD and Meridian giving me some really good numbers...no such luck with the TAG.
    Any comments would be appreciated.

• Sep 2001

In addition to the highly regarded Tag AV32R, during your pre/pro comparisons, have you had an opportunity to check out the Integra Research RDC-7? http://www.integraresearch.com/articles.cfm?id=12 It has the latest surround formats (units currently shipping already have DP II and DTS - ES and Neo 6 built in; earlier shipping units can be easilty and economically upgraded with a factory-provided kit by their owners), is proven to be supported with useful feature upgrades -- not just software "bug fixes" like some others out there, and it sounds sensational on both music and movies. In that regard, I found it to be the equal of a number of highly regarded preamps and pre/pros costing far more than it does. So it is also an incredible value, even at list price.

The rave reviews are also starting to come in. You might want to check out "Widescreen Review, Print Issue 52, "The Perfect Vision" Sept/Oct 2001 issue -- both now on the newstand, and the Stereophile Guide To Home Theater's February 2001 review (available online at http://www.guidetohometheater.com/showarchives.cgi?8 )

Whatever you end up getting -- enjoy!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• DanB
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2000

Burke-
      Thanks for the reply...I had not considered the Integra...can you give me any info on the x-over selections? That is one area I'm very interested in...I could not find anything on the TAG- although someone told me it was a fixed 80 hz x-over?? If so..its out of the running.
      Plus..there isn't a dealer within 400 or so miles of me, which means I'll have a tough time negotiating for one.

Comment

• Burke Strickland
        • Sep 2001

From my reading of the online user setup manual, http://www.tagmclarenaudio.com/products/av32r/manual/p1.asp the Tag does have a selectable subwoofer crossover.

Unfortunately, if having a more flexible sub x-over than the THX-standard 80 hz is an absolute deal-making-or-breaking requirement, then the Integra Research RDC-7 would be out of the running. I almost passed it by, even though my dealer was offering an incredible price, because I thought the flexible crossover was something I couldn't live without. It was on the top of my "required features" list.

But in comparing the way units actually sound, I found that one highly touted unit that did have more flexible crossover options that I auditioned in my system for a week simply didn't measure up in a number of ways that I decided were more critical when push came to shove (not the Tag -- I've never even seen one in person, since there is no dealer within a day's round trip drive that I am aware of). Things like a believable soundstage, high quality rendition of music that stays enjoyably listenable on loud passages (my Magnepan MG 3.6s simply should not sound harsh with the music I used and am quite familiar with, but they did with the other pre/pro), staying set to the correct surround mode rather than going "stereo" part way through a DVD with a 5.1 soundtrack, and staying there, and accepting the output from my external Dolby Digital (AC-3) RF demodulation converter for laser disc. The RDC-7 does all these thing with aplomb and makes me smile every time I listen to music or movies played through it.

I have a Magnepan center channel speaker that I wanted to cross over at 120 hz or higher (since its bass is rated by the manufacturer to extend only to 160 hz) but I've found that it still sounds OK (maybe not ideal, but quite acceptable) in my system crossed over at 80 hz -- since the RDC-7 does everything else so well. I changed my priorities and decided not to allow the bass x-over issue deny me the outstanding performance, plethora of useful features and sensational sound of the RDC-7. (but you of course, need to decide that isssue for yourself.)

Again, all the shortcomings I outlined above in the other pre/pro are NOT shortcomings of the Tag. From all I've read, it is a very high quality alternative choice worthy of serious consideration. Soon it will be upgraded to have what was one of my inflexible must-have features, "direct" (non-digitally processed) analog pass through. One other "must" on my list, of course, was being able to actually see and hear one in person before making a purchase, but I didn't have that opportunity, and found another unit that meets my needs.

Good luck -

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"