X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave Duvall
    • Jan 2001

THX processing on the REF30 question

Here is a quote from THX specifications:

"The Bass Crossover removes low frequency information from the signals sent to the front speakers and re-routes it to a dedicated subwoofer."

My question is this. If I have the B&K Reference 30 set to "no subwoofer" and front speakers set to "large" (my Dunlavy's are full range) and I set decoding to THX surround EX, is the low bass lost as per the quote above, or will it reach my main speakers as I've set in the Ref 30's on screen menu?

If the THX setting overrides the setting in the main menu (no subwoofer), then I'd be better using the straight surround EX decoding without THX processing, eh?

See ya. Dave
  • MannyE
    • Dec 2000

I would have to actually try it to tell you for sure, but from what I understand, the THX setting is kind of a "preset" which will assume you have the 5.1 speakers hooked up. So it stands to reason that yes, the bass info might be sent to a speaker that isn't there. But since I'm not 100% sure if the internal "brains" can figure out if the sub is missing...I won't know for sure until I try it myself.
    But if I get a chance this weekend, I'll give it a shot and let you know.

http://home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/scripts/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=23441&ck=&userid=16579 006&userpw=ytxCz9&uh=16579006,2,Manuel&uzip=33140& ver=3.0
    http://home.bellsouth.net/personalpages/scripts/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=23441&ck=&userid=16579 006&userpw=ytxCz9&uh=16579006,2,Manuel&uzip=33140& ver=3.0

Comment

• John Kotches
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Jan 2001

Dave,

A couple of points on Dunlavy's as large:

To hit DD spec (not saying you want to do that) they have to be able to produce > 115 dB from 20Hz - 120Hz.

115dB for the LFE channel, plus their own portion of the load.

The B&K should handle bass redirection correctly, if you have the AVIA disc handy, try the LFE sweep, which should redirect to the two mains.

Regards,

---
      Editor, PC/Home Theater
      Secrets of Home Theater and High Fidelity
      My Home Theater
      NEC LT-150 specific page.
      ---
      Editor, PC/Home Theater
      My Home Theater

Comment

• Dave Duvall
        • Jan 2001

Thanks guys. I'll get the AVIA disc out and see what happens.....as soon as I get some time to do anything. Life sure gets hectic sometimes, doesn't it?

See ya. Dave

Comment

• Dave Duvall
          • Jan 2001

Testing with the Avia disc does indeed show that the Reference 30 handles all bass management properly when THX mode is used. With "no subwoofer" selected in the Ref.30 menu, the THX standard low pass cutoff is disregarded and the signal is redirected properly to "large" speakers as designated.

See ya. Dave

Comment

• Lex
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Apr 2001

Really, that was more of a general processing algorithm question than a THX question I think.

In general, if no sub, then the low bass SHOULD be sent to the mains if they are set to large. If not, then it would likely be lost- Just my opinion anyway.

Lex
            Doug
            "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• John Kotches
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Jan 2001

Lex,

Correct. And as demonstrated, it works right :O

Regards,

---
              Editor, PC/Home Theater
              My Home Theater
              ---
              Editor, PC/Home Theater
              My Home Theater

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"