Do you think the Outlaw 950 will be a durable piece of gear?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • James W. Johnson
    • Jun 2001

Do you think the Outlaw 950 will be a durable piece of gear?

I will most likely be purchasing one of these units when they are released however
    I am concerned about the 950's build quality
    Where is this unit made? Are the parts low quality since they will be asking under $1000 for it?
    pics
  • psklenar
    • May 2001

James,

Unless one of the Outlaw's blesses us with a comment "straight from the horses mouth", the best we can do is make some inferences.

1. The Model 750 Amp and Model 1050 Receiver are both extremely solid and well built. There were some problems with the early Model 1050's, but they were all software related and were corrected early in the production runs. I've not read of any similar problems with the Model 750.

2. Both units are extremely well manufactured. Clean soldering, good PCB's (in my youth, I used to work in a factory that made PCB's for companies. we started with the bare fiberglass boards and built up from there. so I recognize good PCB work. ), nice smooth milling on the faceplates and very solid rear connections.

Personally, I feel both of these points bode well for the Model 950. In addition, I saw the first prototype unit this past May at the Home Entertainment show in NYC. It felt very light in comparisson to the Models 750 & 1050, but since it doesn't have any built-in amps ... I wouldn't expect it to be heavy. On the other hand, it felt solid. The controls felt firm and the rear connectors all were quite solid.

For what it's worth, my opinion is that the Model 950 will live up to the high standards owners of the Models 750 & 1050 have come to expect from Outlaw Audio.

I hope this helps,

pat----

email: :<a href="mailtoat@sklenar.info">pat@sklenar.info ---===--- home page: Grumpy's Lair
    pat----

email: pat@sklenar.info ---===--- home page: Grumpy's Lair

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

James, I assume your concerns are based purely upon the price, right? Well, haven't their prior products been good quality for very fair prices? I think that's the reputation you have to go with, that they will stay with that.

Along with Pat's excellent comments about the prototype he saw. I think it will be a respectable piece. Outlaw is doing a little branding right now. They have to maintain a good price structure. Of course, I think their name is indicative that they intend to shake up the market a bit by being very competitive with good products.

Price doesn't always have to be a direct indicator with quality either. Look at my new digital interconnects. 29.99 for performance that is likely better than or at least equal to many 70 buck cables, and build quality that in at least some respects is better? You be the judge on who the "outlaw" is there.

Lex

Cable Guy DVD Collection
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Andrew Pratt
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2000

I doubt Outlaw is going to release a cheaply built product when its their first venture into true seperates. I'd expect it to be at least as good as the previous two outlaw products which from what I hear was very good.

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"