X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • EAmin
    • Aug 2004

Escient Fireball vs. Dedicated CD Player

I've been entertaining switching out my Rotel CD player for a Escient Fireball for convenience, but I don't want to sacrifice sound. I was wondering if I coupled one of these with a DAC-1, will it sound as good or close to my dedicated player? Supposedly, it is roughly the same machine as the McIntosh digital music server. Just wondering what others think? Thanks!
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

If you are pushing it through the DAC-1, yep, it'll sounds just as good if not better.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Kevin D
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Oct 2002

Actually, if you want to get technical, the Mac piece is the same machine as the Escient. Mac partners with Denon and since D&M owns Escient now, it was a nice piece for Mac to get. FWIW, the $5000 McIntosh MVP861 is a Denon-2900.

Anyway, I own an original Fireball and don't think I could live without it. With the newer ones supporting FLAC and available with really big HD's, there no reason it won't sound as good as a player. You can mix and match it too, so your critical discs can be in FLAC, your wife's discs in 192k MP3. The CD changer integration is flawless as well, so extra storage is no problem.

All the E models (E-40, E-120, E-300) can get the current software which added back the ability to network up to 5 units together. So a lot of times you can get 2-3 E-40's on Ebay way cheaper then a new E2-100. Every CD is available on all, plus you get multiple zones.

If you don't need automation integration or changer controls, the SE-80 is a bargain at $1000.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
        • Apr 2005

Originally posted by Kevin D
        Actually, if you want to get technical, the Mac piece is the same machine as the Escient. Mac partners with Denon and since D&M owns Escient now, it was a nice piece for Mac to get. FWIW, the $5000 McIntosh MVP861 is a Denon-2900.

Anyway, I own an original Fireball and don't think I could live without it. With the newer ones supporting FLAC and available with really big HD's, there no reason it won't sound as good as a player. You can mix and match it too, so your critical discs can be in FLAC, your wife's discs in 192k MP3. The CD changer integration is flawless as well, so extra storage is no problem.

All the E models (E-40, E-120, E-300) can get the current software which added back the ability to network up to 5 units together. So a lot of times you can get 2-3 E-40's on Ebay way cheaper then a new E2-100. Every CD is available on all, plus you get multiple zones.

If you don't need automation integration or changer controls, the SE-80 is a bargain at $1000.

Kevin D.

I was waiting for someone else to say these things (god bless you man) I frequently come across as the "bad news bastard" so I'm glad to hand that torch to you Kevin....

BTW: I love my fireball E120 (old as dirt by today’s standards) it is just a blast and has forever changed the way I listen to music... it is the Gin and Tonic of any music party...

Yes, Mac has a sweet set-up being able to cherry pick Denon and Escient goodies right off the vine.... It makes for a complete line of products from a very desirable high-end mfg. nice work D&M holdings Co.

I give the Fireball products my highest rating!!!!

As Kevin says "I couldn't imagine trying to actually breathe air without them" or did he actually say that?

2 cents
        :rofl:

Comment

• EAmin
          • Aug 2004

Thanks guys for the feedback.

Kevin: Did you ever consider trying a DAC-1 with your Fireball?

Comment

• Kevin D
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Oct 2002

Originally posted by EAmin
            Kevin: Did you ever consider trying a DAC-1 with your Fireball?
            Well my amp is the Rotel 1077, which we all know is a horrible piece and has way too many flaws in sound reproduction for a DAC to make a difference.

Andrew should get that one.

In reality I'm the type of guy who loves PLIIx and the type of music where a poor D-A conversion isn't the limiting factor. I don't really feel I'm missing anything, but I certainly wouldn't mind testing the difference if one were to show up.

Kevin D.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
              • Apr 2005

Now that's displaying the proper open minded attitude...

Comment

• eddiem67
                • Jun 2004

The Fireball have a huge WAF factor, my wife love the SE-80, very easy to use. All my recordings are in 320K, they sound very good through the bryston and if I still want the ultimate sound, I still have my McCormack on the shelf to use. Highly recommend these units.
                My Car Audio

Comment

Working...
                😀
                😂
                🥰
                😘
                🤢
                😎
                😞
                😡
                👍
                👎
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"