X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eliav
    • Jul 2005

pre/pro with CAM400 ?

Hi guys, I need your advice.
    I am currently feeding the CAM 400 with the rotel 1068. I want to keep it for movies and get a GREAT two channel pre to match the CAM400. The problem is that most higher pre amps cannot be hooked up to the 1068 to work as one system ( as far as I understand).
    That means I have to sell the 1068 and get a new pre/pro such as the Classe ssp600 ( which is not a great stereo pre amp as the cp500 or cp700 or the Ayre k-1xe). Besides, I do not want to invest in processor again , I am happy with the 1068 performance for movies watchnig, it is the two channel part that I want to improve ...
    Any suggestions ?

Aussie Geoff here - there is no direct relevance to Club B&W so I am moving this to the Audio Hideout...

Thanks
    Eliav :roll:
    Last edited by Aussie Geoff; 17 February 2006, 08:49 Friday.
    :T Socrat
  • sikoniko
    Super Senior Member
    • Aug 2003

what about the nuforce p-8?
    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

Can you not use your 1068 in a configuraton like this?
      Danish

Comment

• Matt M.
        • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Eliav
        I am currently feeding the CAM 400 with the rotel 1068. I want to keep it for movies and get a GREAT two channel pre to match the CAM400. The problem is that most higher pre amps cannot be hooked up to the 1068 to work as one system ( as far as I understand).
        That means I have to sell the 1068 and get a new pre/pro such as the Classe ssp600 ( which is not a great stereo pre amp as the cp500 or cp700 or the Ayre k-1xe). Besides, I do not want to invest in processor again , I am happy with the 1068 performance for movies watchnig, it is the two channel part that I want to improve ...
        Any suggestions ?

Thanks
        You need a stereo preamp with a pass throught, to connect your 1068.
        The best solution would be a CP700, awesome, but very expensive...

What about an old CP65 (check out audiogon) ? He sounds extremely well
        (better than a CP500) and would fit perfectly with the rest of your system.

Comment

• EAmin
          • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Matt M.

I think this is a great suggestion. I will only add that the CP500 is about a half the price. Just another option.

Comment

• dyazdani
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Matt M.

I also agree that this is a good option. Just for giggles, I can bring my Classe processor over and we can hook it up and see what it does. It probably won't be as big a step as a dedicated 2ch preamp, but worth trying anyway IMHO.

I am free this weekend except for a couple hours on Saturday (10-noon).
            Danish

Comment

• RebelMan
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

Eliav, the CP-500 will support "cinema passthrough" from your RSP-1068. I am considering the same approach as you with my RSX-1056. I have the the CP-500 and CP-700 in mind and either will work (as well as the K-1xe) to bring great 2-channel and movie listening enjoyment.
              "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• RebelMan
                Ultra Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by dyazdani
                Can you not use your 1068 in a configuraton like this?
                The CP-500 or CP-700 with the RSP-1068 will support exactly this configuration.

Comment

• Eliav
                  • Jul 2005

Thanks ! these are great news !!.
                  How do these connections actually go ? CD-CP500-1068-Speakres ? Parallel ?
                  RebelMan have you had a chance to audition these pre amps ?
                  Is there a noticeable sonic difference between cp500 and cp700( How much does this unit cost?) ?
                  How does the K-1xe sound compared to the cp700 ?

Eliav

PS Danish, thanks, I will give you a call this weekend

Comment

• dyazdani
                    Moderator Emeritus
                    • Oct 2005

Thanks ! these are great news !!.
                    How do these connections actually go ? CD-CP500-1068-Speakres ? Parallel ?
                    Is there a noticeable sonic difference between cp500 and cp700( How much does this unit cost?) ?
                    How does the K-1xe sound compared to the cp700 ?

Eliav

PS Danish, thanks, I will give you a call this weekend
                    You would hook your 2ch pre to your CAM400s. You would run a dedicated CDp (or other source) to the 2ch pre as well. Your DVDp would still go to your 1068 and the 1068 would be hooked up to your surround/center/sub. The 1068's main (L/R) channels would be an input to the 2ch pre and you would use the passthrough function for movies.
                    Danish

Comment

• Eliav
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
                      The CP-500 or CP-700 with the RSP-1068 will support exactly this configuration.
                      Excuse my ignorance, I have looked at the diagrams Doggy had drawn, what is a DAC ?
                      Eliav

Comment

• dyazdani
                        Moderator Emeritus
                        • Oct 2005

Excuse my ignorance, I have looked at the diagrams Doggy had drawn, what is a DAC ?
                        Eliav
                        Digital to Analog Converter (it processes the digital data from a CD into an analog signal). Your Cdp/DVDp and processor have them built in. Some people use separate ones of higher quality than the ones in their single box units (or use a transport/DAC separately).
                        Danish

Comment

• RebelMan
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Actually, I heard the integrated amplifier the CAP-2100 which is essentially an CP-500 and CA-2100 combined. While I haven't heard the CP-500 my impressions of the CAP-2100 were VERY favorable. I suspect that the CP-500 would be even better because of the substantially lower noise floor and greater channel separation. The CP-700 takes this even further by moving the internal power supply externally and making some improvements to the balanced signal paths. I believe the 500 goes for $3500 and the 700 for $7000 (price is pushing me towards the 500). I am going visit a local dealer, maybe tomorrow, to see if they have the pre's available now; they didn't the last time I was there.

Unfortunately, my Ayre dealer doesn't carry the K-1xe so I cannot offer an opinion but I am visiting him tomorrow. Maybe he can arrange for a custom demo somehow. I am curious about the comparisons as well. I will let you know.

Comment

• Eliav
                            • Jul 2005

Thanks guys for the input.
                            yeah RebelMan, please do let me know what you think. I will probably make a trip down to Dallas and listen to these expansive toys.I will definitely share my experience with you.
                            Cheers
                            Eliav

Comment

• RebelMan
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

yeah RebelMan, please do let me know what you think
                              The local dealer only had the CP-500 on display. The CP-700 was no where to be found. The dealership is currently undergoing some change of ownership snafu's that probably won't be resolved anytime soon. As such I worry that they will not get the CP-700 in for demonstration. The salesman is checking on it to be sure one way or the other. In any event, I spent about two hours demoing the CP-500 and its companions the CDP-100 and the CA-2200 with the B&W 803S's.

My initial reaction of the CP-500 fell a little short of my expectations. Tonal balance was very good. Treble seemed a little soft in spots but mostly smooth and silky. Midrange presence was slightly laid back yet velvety and lush. Bass was well extended, full and authoritative. The combination made the 803S's sound much larger than they are.

Still, I believed I should be hearing more or I at least expected more from high-end equipment that commands high-end prices. Unwilling to accept that this maybe all, I had the salesman hook up a Rotel RSX-1056, which I own and use in conjuction with the 803S's at home, for comparison. My memory of the performance of the RSX-1056* was very good, or so I thought. WRONG! It wasn't until the RSX-1056 was fired up that a revelation was known.

Using the same source as the CP-500 the RSX-1056 was clearly out of its league. Frankly, after what I heard, I thought it had no business sharing the same room with the Classe' pre-amplifier. The imaging and sound staging collapsed into a one-dimensional field in comparision. Similar to the difference between an old transistor radio and today's boom boxes. The copious difference was surprising. Surprising because I initially found the RSX-1056 to sound very good and it does but just not "that" good.

I have a another date planned with the dealer to conduct a far more controlled evaluation. Based on this early preview I can safely say that the CP-500 has earned its worth and then some.

More details to come later.

*(Eliav, the RSX-1056 and the RSP-1068 pre-outs sound virtually identical to me if that makes any difference to you.)

Comment

• Eliav
                                • Jul 2005

The local dealer only had the CP-500 on display. The CP-700 was no where to be found. The dealership is currently undergoing some change of ownership snafu's that probably won't be resolved anytime soon. As such I worry that they will not get the CP-700 in for demonstration. The salesman is checking on it to be sure one way or the other. In any event, I spent about two hours demoing the CP-500 and its companions the CDP-100 and the CA-2200 with the B&W 803S's.

My initial reaction of the CP-500 fell a little short of my expectations. Tonal balance was very good. Treble seemed a little soft in spots but mostly smooth and silky. Midrange presence was slightly laid back yet velvety and lush. Bass was well extended, full and authoritative. The combination made the 803S's sound much larger than they are.

Still, I believed I should be hearing more or I at least expected more from high-end equipment that commands high-end prices. Unwilling to accept that this maybe all, I had the salesman hook up a Rotel RSX-1056, which I own and use in conjuction with the 803S's at home, for comparison. My memory of the performance of the RSX-1056* was very good, or so I thought. WRONG! It wasn't until the RSX-1056 was fired up that a revelation was known.

Using the same source as the CP-500 the RSX-1056 was clearly out of its league. Frankly, after what I heard, I thought it had no business sharing the same room with the Classe' pre-amplifier. The imaging and sound staging collapsed into a one-dimensional field in comparision. Similar to the difference between an old transistor radio and today's boom boxes. The copious difference was surprising. Surprising because I initially found the RSX-1056 to sound very good and it does but just not "that" good.

I have a another date planned with the dealer to conduct a far more controlled evaluation. Based on this early preview I can safely say that the CP-500 has earned its worth and then some.

More details to come later.

*(Eliav, the RSX-1056 and the RSP-1068 pre-outs sound virtually identical to me if that makes any difference to you.)
                                RebalMan
                                Fantastic. thanks for the thorough research. so the CP500 is a major step forward . It will be interesting to learn about the CP500 vs. CP700 / Ayr K-1xe. Does the sonic differecnec justify the price ?
                                Thanks again .
                                Eliav

Comment

• stewfoo
                                  • Jul 2005

Rebelman, I heard the same setup you did. The deal though is that their system goes through a goofy switching setup that is always screwed up. I think this is a huge weak link. It sacrifices sound quality for the sake of easily switching out components and speakers. They are also running it through the cdp-100 cdplayer. Its a good cd player, but, at this point it is certainly no cdp102 or 202, or cdp-300.

I have been made aware by a reliable source that about the most knowledgeable person of the B&W Group line will be visiting there soon. I am sure he will point out his recommendations to improve the way things are set up.

By the way, I will be spending the weekend setting up my new gear as well as a buddy's who got the 7x200 McIntosh amp and pre/pre with 802d.
                                  Stew

Comment

• ml360
                                    • Jan 2006

Any suggestions ?

Aussie Geoff here - there is no direct relevance to Club B&W so I am moving this to the Audio Hideout...

Thanks
                                    This is exactly the same situation I'm facing.I love my rsp 1068 and want to add my other(2 channel)to my system,but I don't want to part with the 1068.My amps are the Classe Cam-200's,and my preamp on the 2 ch system is the Cp-35-------what to do?

Comment

• RebelMan
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by stewfoo
                                      Rebelman, I heard the same setup you did. The deal though is that their system goes through a goofy switching setup that is always screwed up. I think this is a huge weak link. It sacrifices sound quality for the sake of easily switching out components and speakers. They are also running it through the cdp-100 cdplayer. Its a good cd player, but, at this point it is certainly no cdp102 or 202, or cdp-300.
                                      Hey Stew, ordinarily that would be the case but not this time. I had them bring the RSX-1056 into the same room as the CP-500 and neither unit went through their switching unit. I personally verified the all of the ICs and speaker connections. In fact I pretty much took over the demonstration. Your right about the CDP-100. It is not Classe's best and I wish they had the CDP-202 available but the guy I was dealing with didn't know a thing about it nor did they have it in their system when he checked.

I hope you didn't take my remarks of my initial impression the wrong way. The Classe' setup was impressive and I liked it, a lot. It took something that I also liked and was very familure with (RSX-1056) to compare with to realize just how much an improvement there really was.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

It will be interesting to learn about the CP500 vs. CP700 / Ayr K-1xe. Does the sonic differecnec justify the price ?
                                        Exactly what I wish to know also.

UPDATE: Interesting feedback I just got. The local Ayre dealer doesn't carry the K-1xe pre-amplifier so I called another out of state dealer that does. When I told him what speakers I was running he said that the Arye's exhibit a squeaky upper midrange on the B&W's (he sells both). He was a little busy when I called him so he asked me to call back later today and we will discuss this and more options at length then. Stay tuned.

Comment

• stewfoo
                                          • Jul 2005

Hey Stew, ordinarily that would be the case but not this time. I had them bring the RSX-1056 into the same room as the CP-500 and neither unit went through their switching unit. I personally verified the all of the ICs and speaker connections. In fact I pretty much took over the demonstration. Your right about the CDP-100. It is not Classe's best and I wish they had the CDP-202 available but the guy I was dealing with didn't know a thing about it nor did they have it in their system when he checked.

I hope you didn't take my remarks of my initial impression the wrong way. The Classe' setup was impressive and I liked it, a lot. It took something that I also liked and was very familure with (RSX-1056) to compare with to realize just how much an improvement there really was.
                                          Its all good. Smart of you to get them to directly connect it. They are the ones who sold me that bogus 2m component cable. I am gonna go see if they will exchange it.

And... I took nothing the wrong way. I realize you are a jerk and you are dogging my classe gear. haha just kidding. Just give your honest assessment of everything...

When I mentioned the cdp102 or 202 they were baffled as well. It was funny .. While there is a bit of misinformation on this forum, I think that we also do tend to have info before the general public..
                                          Stew

Comment

• xk8boy
                                            • Jul 2005

Any suggestions ?

Thanks
                                            Eliav, the spp600 is also a great pre-amp, but if you want to go the seperate route, you can use the m400 "second" connection. the m400 have both xlr and single-ended connections. you can both at the same time and switch between them. maybe you can find away to automate the switching.

Comment

• David Meek
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by stewfoo
                                              While there is a bit of misinformation on this forum, I think that we also do tend to have info before the general public..
                                              Administrator stepping in here. . . . What mis-information are you referring to? Please PM or e-mail me regarding this.

David

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• stewfoo
                                                • Jul 2005

David, I just meant that when you have free access to a forum like this someone can mis-state a fact like I did in the rotel forum about 1068 switching. When I realized that I was a retard and it was a cable short, rather than a Rotel problem, I corrected it. I am not the most articulate writer so pardon me if I miscommunicated. The great thing about this forum is that there are several well informed and knowledgeable people , like Andrew Ward, that will usually correct the matters.
                                                My point was that while some people only push the things that they own we tend to have cutting edge info that john q. public doesnt hear about for months after... I.e. rotel 1077, Rotel scaler and power conditioner, Rotel version of Classe cdp-300, Classe ssp-900...and the list goes on...

When I went in to the same dealer that Rebelman went in to, they thought that the Classe cdp-100 was their latest model. Because of this forum, I knew more than he. And that is why I am an obsessed freak about coming online here.
                                                Stew

Comment

• Eliav
                                                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by xk8boy
                                                  Eliav, the spp600 is also a great pre-amp, but if you want to go the seperate route, you can use the m400 "second" connection. the m400 have both xlr and single-ended connections. you can both at the same time and switch between them. maybe you can find away to automate the switching.
                                                  xk8boy
                                                  No doubt that the ssp600 is a great unit.
                                                  From my stand point, spending 6500$ on a a great surrond processor with a good analog bypass pre board ( per some reviewers it does not match the CP500 for tranparency and velvet backgraound) is just a waste of money. If I am to spend 6.5K$, I want it to be all on a stereo pre amp ...:twisted: It definitely needs to be able to work with the 1068 for movies , Thanks to this forum members input, I think I understand how this can be done.
                                                  Thanks again
                                                  Eliav

Comment

• bleeding ears
                                                    • Nov 2004

Eliav, there is another way to use a 2 channel preamp and use your 1068 as well, and it is very simple.

Find a multichannel amplifier with an extra 2 channel input.

I know of only one amp that has this option.

It is the Sony TA-N9000ES now superseeded and can be bought on ebay and possibly still in some shops.

All you have to do is connect up your 1068 and your 2 channel preamp and then just switch the knob on the amp to what mode you want to use. eg 2 channel, 3 channel 4 channel or 5 channel or extra 2 channel.

You can even bridge the amp for higher wattage (2 x 210 watts) in the BTL extra 2 channel mode.

This amp may not be the worlds greatest amp, but it is cheap (poss $600-$700 Australian used) and seems to do a fine job with my RSP1068.

If only other brands such as Rotel or Classe had this option I reckon it would be a big success.

I guess it is still a compromise in that it is not a pure 2 channel amp but it is probably the best option for those on a budget and wanting to have it all so to speak.

Hopefully some other brands have similar products but I have not heard of any.

Contrary to what many say, I think Sony does make some good products and this is one of their best in my opinion.

Pete

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Mar 2005

Well I spoke to the out of state dealer again and I kind of pressured him to telling me why Arye doesn't pair well with B&W 800 speakers, afterall they have pretty good press. He stated that to his ears they sound squeaky and other B&W owners, customers of his too, would try the Ayre's at home and many of them would come back stating that the combination just didn't work for them. I guess it would behoove someone that own's B&W speakers and has more than a passing interest in Arye to listen for themselves before taking the plunge.

He went on to say that a kick-a$$ combination would be one of the Wadia source devices, with built-in volume control, running direct to Pass Lab amps. I was somewhat intrigue by his suggestion. When I asked him to comment on Classe's offerings and how his recommendation compared he stated that the Classe' and B&W's make a good combination but he prefered Wadia and Pass Labs. He described the character of the Wadia and Pass Labs as a bit forward and slighty aggressive. I was a little turned off at that moment because to me the B&W's already possess a slightly forward character. I suspect that the slightly laid back sound of Classe' would make for a more balanced system.

Comment

• krellfan
                                                        • Jul 2005

Rebelman,

With the Wadia connected directly to an amp, the Wadia can sound a bit forward as described by the sales guy you spoke to. For this reason, my Wadia 861SE is connected to a Pass Labs X1 preamp. Some people like the sound of the Wadia connected directly to the amp and I did too until a couple of years ago when a friend brought over the Pass X1 preamp and put it in my system. It made such a difference that I bought his unit immediately.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2005

Hey krellfan, this is good to know, thanks for sharing. Personally, I have always felt that the pre-amplifier (next to speakers) is the most important component in a system. Your situation seems to support this, though, I know not everyone will agree with me. I guess my ears are to blame for that. LOL

What may I ask are you using for speakers?

Comment

• krellfan
                                                            • Jul 2005

Rebelman,

I am using two sets of speakers right now:

First set - Revel Ultima Studios, Voice, Embrace and M20

Second set - B&W 802D, HTM2D and 805S

Subs are - Revel B15 and Velodyne HGS 15 II.

I will eventually have to decide which set to keep and sell the other one. Both are very good systems so it's going to be a difficult decision.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                              Ultra Senior Member
                                                              • Mar 2005

Two reference class speaker systems in the same house? Nice! Which set is driven by the Wadia/Pass and I assume you are using Krell on the other?

Comment

• krellfan
                                                                • Jul 2005

Rebelman,

It's actually two sets of speakers in the same room so it's a bit of hassle to switch speakers. The Wadia, Pass and Krell amps are used for both sets of speakers.

Comment

• Eliav
                                                                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by krellfan
                                                                  Rebelman,

It's actually two sets of speakers in the same room so it's a bit of hassle to switch speakers. The Wadia, Pass and Krell amps are used for both sets of speakers.
                                                                  Hi Krellfan
                                                                  What Krell amps are you using ? Do you find the B&W-Krell combo on the bright side of the scale like many members have indicated ?
                                                                  Thanks
                                                                  Eliav

Comment

• krellfan
                                                                    • Jul 2005

Hello Eliav,

I use three Krell FPB 350MCX monoblocks for the LCR speakers. The side and rear speakers are driven with a Proceed AMP5.
                                                                    I don't find the B&W and Krell combo bright at all. I think the Krell KAV series and B&W might be on the bright side. The FPB series sounds much better than the KAV and the Home Theater multi channel amps.

Comment

Working...
                                                                    😀
                                                                    😂
                                                                    🥰
                                                                    😘
                                                                    🤢
                                                                    😎
                                                                    😞
                                                                    😡
                                                                    👍
                                                                    👎
                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                    Search Result for "|||"