X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
    • Nov 2005

Horray, It Works!!!!

HI All,
    :hb I just wanted to share my pleasure and smile with you. I just finished installing my prototype Subwoofer Remote Volume Control into the music side of my bedroom HT system. AND it works.

By using a IR remote to control the subs volume relative to the main speakers level I can now fully realize my long term goal of turning into a total couch potato. Actually it's much more profound than that.

Over the 30 odd years of living with subwoofers I have found that the subs volume balance relative to the main speakers is super critical for music. I have not actually measured this conjecture because it is very difficult to do. I would guess that the balance is critical to within 2dB or less as judged by my ears. Plus, the balance adjustment must be made from the listening position due the main speakers spectral shift if one moves away from the sweet spot to make the adjustment.

Furthermore, the bass balance changes from album to album and, worse, from cut to cut. So, the ability to change the balance in very small increments from the listening position is something that is very useful.

All but my first system with subwoofers has had this facility. It was always one of my system configuration goals. But my new HT/music system did not have this feature. What total pain!! It completely disrupted my existance as a couch potato. Worse, the music did not sound as good as it does when the balance is correct. If past history proves prophetic (I know it will), I can promise you it will get used a lot.

Well, now my new system is in line with my past systems. The next step is to calibrate it which I will do this weekend. Once I'm satisfied that all is well I will mount the control circuitry and the motorized pot into the box that houses my subwoofer switchbox so it will look nice and pretty.

Life is good again.

Sparky

Edited to Add:
    I get so caught up in my little projects that I forget that this volume control would not make sense for many of you. You must be scratching your heads. Most forum members who own B&W speakers have full range floor standers. Subwoofers for them is optional because of the good native bass performance of their main speakers.

My system is based on B&W 805S series mains, center and surrounds. Thus, the system is bass shy. To compensate, I have dual B&W ASW 800 subwoofers. Consequently, the subs are aways in action providing bass that the 805S can not produce. That's why the remote volume control is so important in my system. I applogize for being so self centered.
    Last edited by Karma; 11 February 2006, 05:32 Saturday.
  • JKalman
    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Karma
    HI All,
    :hb I just wanted to share my pleasure and smile with you. I just finished installing my prototype Subwoofer Remote Volume Control into the music side of my bedroom HT system. AND it works.

By using a IR remote to control the subs volume relative to the main speakers level I can now fully realize my long term goal of turning into a total couch potato. Actually it's much more profound than that.

Over the 30 odd years of living with subwoofers I have found that the subs volume balance relative to the main speakers is super critical for music. I have not actually measured this conjecture because it is very difficult to do. I would guess that the balance is critical to within 2dB or less as judged by my ears. Plus, the balance adjustment must be made from the listening position due the main speakers spectral shift if one moves away from the sweet spot to make the adjustment.

Furthermore, the bass balance changes from album to album and, worse, from cut to cut. So, the ability to change the balance in very small increments from the listening position is something that is very useful.

All but my first system with subwoofers has had this facility. It was always one of my system configuration goals. But my new HT/music system did not have this feature. What total pain!! It completely disrupted my existance as a couch potato. Worse, the music did not sound as good as it does when the balance is correct. If past history proves prophetic (I know it will), I can promise you it will get used a lot.

Well, now my new system is in line with my past systems. The next step is to calibrate it which I will do this weekend. Once I'm satisfied that all is well I will mount the control cicuitry and the motorized pot into the box that houses my subwoofer switchbox so it will look nice and pretty.

Life is good again.

Sparky
    Bah, you need to have the remote hard wired into your brain so you can control the volume by thinking about hotdog-skin-rain-clouds, or something else you won't think of by mistake, when sitting on the couch... So you won't turn your system up to clipping level by accident.

It actually sounds like a pretty nice solution which will solve your stated problems. All you need now is a universal remote, then you can program all your equipment into the universal remote, including the subwoofer volume. If anything you need a universal remote just to get rid of that Denon AVR-3805 remote. One reason I returned my Denon AVR-3805 was because of that damn remote, God I hated it. Whoever designed that remote was on a really bad acid trip. :evil:

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI Jeff,
      Not only the demon Denon remote but its SEVEN buddies that reside on the table beside it. This is out of hand, for sure! I have a Yamaha RAV-2000 remote which is the same as a Pronto 2000 but I have not found the time to program it. It will get done soon, I hope, now that the system is pretty much together.

Sparky

Comment

• JKalman
        • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Karma
        HI Jeff,
        Not only the demon Denon remote but its SEVEN buddies that reside on the table beside it. This is out of hand, for sure! I have a Yamaha RAV-2000 remote which is the same as a Pronto 2000 but I have not found the time to program it. It will get done soon, I hope, now that the system is pretty much together.

Sparky
        Cool remote, I just browsed over the review on remote central. I'm in the market for a remote and wanted to get something with a nice touch screen like this or one of the 30 others that came up on the clicker picker. I guess I have a lot of researching to do... That or I need to narrow down the options better.

Comment

Working...
        😀
        😂
        🥰
        😘
        🤢
        😎
        😞
        😡
        👍
        👎
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"