What DAC will work with a satilite dish?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jeff
    • Dec 2004

What DAC will work with a satilite dish?

I'm interested in the Benchmark DAC1. It's my understanding it will only work with a pcm format.

Is there any stand alone DAC which can also decode AC-3 format? It would be great to be able to upconvert the digital music channels as well as 2 channel broadcasts off the tv.

Thanks, Jeff
  • locomk
    • Dec 2005

not sure if any take ac-3, but you may be able to set your satelite box to pcm only and then use a dac, but satelite music channels are compressed and using a dac may not be better.

Comment

• Jeff
      • Dec 2004

You are correct! It's great when the answers your hoping for are true.

I was under the impression that all satilite feeds from Direct TV were DD when fed through my new high def decoder. I was also told this from several individuals.
      Reality has proved otherwise.

Upon further investigation, the music channels, which are XM radio, are all:
      16 bit
      48khz
      1536 kbps bitrate
      Catogory is identified as "broadcast-USA"

When red book cd's are playing, they are identified as:
      16 bit
      44 khz
      1411 kbps bitrate
      catogory is identified as "CD-DA IEC60908"

Regarding the information above, my Sony 777ES receiver provided this information. It provides this information on whatever input is being played.

Based upon this information, it doesn't appear compressed. I'll admit I'm only 90% on the no compression thing. But so far it looks pretty good.

Jeff

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"