X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tech_table
    • Jan 2006

Velodyne DD-15 or DD-18 ????

I need some advise, whether to go with the Velodyne DD-15 or DD-18, since the spec of both just slightly different in size & price, but not power, if anyone own any of these size would give me an advise, would much appreceated. I'm currently listening to DD-15 at home, this is a loan from a local dealer.

Velodyne - Digital Drive Series - Specifications
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Moved... Not Rotel specific.

Thanks,

Kevin D.

Comment

• stewfoo
      • Jul 2005

There is a huge difference between the two. I have heard both. You cant really go wrong with either. But, the DD-18 is one of Stereophile's reference pieces. Mine is on the way. What is the CUBIC area of the listening area and connected rooms? Velodyne has a section on their website that will make a recommendation based on your cubic area. The suggest two dd-18s for my 6500 CUBIC foot room. I just dont have that kind of money to throw at a sub. I will go with one and see where it goes from there. There is a great thread on a UK forum that is by far the most informative on the dd series. I am not sure if this violates this forum's rules . But, this site doesn't compete with this forum in terms of marketing. Go to www.avtalk.co.uk and go to manufacturers threads- then Velodyne, you will learn everything you wanted to know about that amazing product line, including how to properly set them up.
      Trust me, I just audiogoned my REL Stentor for the DD-18. It is so much better for HT it is unbelievable. It has so much impact and accuracy....
      What do you think of the dd-15??
      Stew

Comment

• tech_table
        • Jan 2006

Kevin D,

Sorry for the wrong thread, I did not mean too.

stewfoo,

thanks for the information on the sub, I will look into it. Thanks again. :T

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Neither, I say go SVS and a BFD
          Jason

Comment

• stewfoo
            • Jul 2005

LOL... bfd and svs is a great value combo. But, not really in the same league as the DD-18 or DD-15. The degree of control and quality that the DD series has is simply amazing. If you decide to go wih another sub i.e an SVS, I would definitely look at the SMS by velodyne which allows you to display the room response without having to run your own tones and graph it.... What is your budget?
            Stew

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

Originally posted by stewfoo
              LOL... bfd and svs is a great value combo. But, not really in the same league as the DD-18 or DD-15. The degree of control and quality that the DD series has is simply amazing. If you decide to go wih another sub i.e an SVS, I would definitely look at the SMS by velodyne which allows you to display the room response without having to run your own tones and graph it.... What is your budget?
              Exactly! Either you save money or get two SVS subs :B
              Jason

Comment

• tech_table
                • Jan 2006

I think that I go for a DD-15, I like its sound after I tried it out over the weekend, as far as music/movie, just placed an order at a local dealer for the DD-15 today, just get one for now, will add one more when needed to. Thanks for all the advise guys. :T 8)

Comment

• stewfoo
                  • Jul 2005

Great move! Did you find that site helpful?
                  Stew

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                    • Sep 2001

I think that I go for a DD-15, I like its sound after I tried it out over the weekend, as far as music/movie...
                    Hey tech_table, I think you've made an excellent choice and with the right methodology -- you tried it in your own environment and found it met your needs. Enjoy!

Exactly! Either you save money or get two SVS subs
                    Reminds me of Jay Leno's joke a few years ago:

"A consumer group reports some good news -- for the price of a Lincoln Town Car, you can buy two Geo Metros. The bad news -- you'd have two Geo Metros." :>)

Actually, some people found that the size and fuel economy of the Geo Metro met their needs just fine -- and if they needed two cars, a couple of Geos in the garage would still leave room for a boat. :>) Others felt they needed the interior room and road hugging weight of the Lincoln. So it goes with subs. Literally, "different strokes for different folks".

For full disclosure, while I have heard some convincing demos of SVS subs in friends' systems, and recognize their "bang for buck" value, I will have to admit that I have also always been quite happy to return home and "audition" my own Velodyne sub. :>) Can't really go wrong with either if you like what you hear and can afford to buy the one (or more) that you choose.

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• tech_table
                      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by stewfoo
                      Great move! Did you find that site helpful?
                      stewfoo,

Yeah, found some info, still reading a little bit, thanks again. :T

Originally posted by Burke Strickland
                      Hey tech_table, I think you've made an excellent choice and with the right methodology -- you tried it in your own environment and found it met your needs. Enjoy!
                      Burke Strickland,

I used to borrow stuff home over the weekend from the local dealer guy, apart from try out, and see the real deal about it, before I decide to buy it, also you guys here at HT forum are great at giving ideas too as well. :T

I think I will happy with the result of the DD-15, I was thinking of getting me a DD-18, but compared to the spec of both unit between DD-15 & DD-18, the guy at the local dealer said, go for the DD-15, is better, I can always ad another one still much better sound than one DD-18, plus I still have 90 days from the purchase date, to upgrade to higher piece. That is the whole deal that I love about this dealer. So if I ever need to make a switch to DD-18 I can still have chance..... 8)

Comment

• aud19
                        Twin Moderator Emeritus
                        • Aug 2003

Yeah, if I had a LOT more headroom in my budget I'd look hard at Velodyne's as well... They really do make great subs :T

That's not taking anything away from SVS. Some of their top models are quite impressive (and not all that inexpensive either :E )
                        Jason

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"