X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Club1820
    • Jan 2006

Whatmough M30s Any Good?

Hello, I currently have the opportunity to purchase a pair of used Whatmough M30's at a great price. Do any of you own or have owned these speakers? Can anyone review them for me?

Also, since they are 6 ohms, does this mean I would get a higher output from them from my amp?

Thanks!

I have a rotel 1095 and 1068.

Here are the specs of the M30's from their website:

Configuration 2-Way Bass Reflex.
    Nominal Impedance 6 ohms
    Amplifier Power Requirement 40 - 150 Watts
    Power Handling Transient peaks in excess of 150 Watts.
    Average levels of 100 Watts.
    Sensitivity 92dB input level of 2.83 Volts (1 Watt into 8ohms)
    Frequency Response 45Hz to 20kHz ±3dB
    Dimensions 990H x 220W x 310D mm
    Weight 20kg each
    Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3
  • JDH
    • Sep 2004

Originally posted by Club1820
    Hello, I currently have the opportunity to purchase a pair of used Whatmough M30's at a great price. Do any of you own or have owned these speakers? Can anyone review them for me?

Also, since they are 6 ohms, does this mean I would get a higher output from them from my amp?

Thanks!

I have a rotel 1095 and 1068.

Here are the specs of the M30's from their website:

Configuration 2-Way Bass Reflex.
    Nominal Impedance 6 ohms
    Amplifier Power Requirement 40 - 150 Watts
    Power Handling Transient peaks in excess of 150 Watts.
    Average levels of 100 Watts.
    Sensitivity 92dB input level of 2.83 Volts (1 Watt into 8ohms)
    Frequency Response 45Hz to 20kHz ±3dB
    Dimensions 990H x 220W x 310D mm
    Weight 20kg each

I can't comment specifically on the Whatmough M30's however I own a pair of current model Whatmough P32's (4 ohms, but high sensitivity) connected to a Rotel RB-1080 and RSP-1066 and couldn't be happier, well build speakers and sound fantastic for their price point. With your other equipment, ie. RMB-1095 and RSP-1068 a better match would be the Opus or Performance range (made in AUS too!!!) versus the M30's (made in China) that are more geared to be matched with cheaper AV recievers, however maybe someone elso who actually owns them can comment further.

For those interested www.whatmough.com.au

and a review on the M30's

Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• Club1820
      • Jan 2006

JDH, thanks for your comments and the link to the review.

Actually, the only reason I am thinking about these speakers is because a friend is 'giving' them to me for $350. I wasnt even thinking of purchasing speakers at this time. Although I probably need an upgrade right now anyway since my current speakers are over 10 years old! Klipsch CF-1s.

In comparison to the Klipsch (which I thought sounded ok), the M30s are warmer and with a little bit more boom. The Klipsch are brighter in the highs, but tend to 'pierce' the ear at real high volumes.

Apparently my friend's audio guy (specialty audio store) tweaked the speakers by rewiring them with Kimber cable and replacing the factory installed tweeter to a better quality tweeter. (which? I dont know).

Overall, I thought they sounded pretty good in my 1 week (and ongoing) audition. If I dont purchase these speakers, I wouldnt be upgrading at the moment due to other financial commitments. So If I dont get the M30s, I will be hanging on to the CF-1s for a bit longer.

Comments? Does anyone out there currently use the M30's?

Thanks again!
      Rotel 1068, Rotel 1060, Rotel 1055, Rotel 1095, Rotel 956, Rotel RLC-1040, M&K VX-860 Sub, Whatmough M30s, Squeezebox 3

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Hi,

I've moved this from Club Rotel as it is not really Rotel related and you have more chance here...

BYW - IMO Just buy them since you have heard them and seem to like them - for $350 you can hardly go wrong... Your ears are the best judge..

I agree with the other posters about the more expensive Whatmough range being much better - but hey if you think of this as a short term investment until you can afford decent speakers...

Geoff

Comment

• Club1820
          • Jan 2006

Thanks Aussie Geoff. I was actually thinking of requesting a move of my post. You beat me to it!

Yes, I do seem to like them. But apparently from your comments and JDH, these are probably not the best speakers. I guess you tend to like what you have heard until you actually hear something of better quality. Just like I was fine with my Klipsch CF-1s and also my previous receiver before I went to separates!

Yes, I probably will buy them. As you said, they will be a temporary investment and hold me over for awhile until I can upgrade and get better speakers.

Can anyone answer my other question regarding the 6 ohm vs 8 ohm speaker/amp output?

Thanks again to everyone.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

Hi,

The RMB-1095 will drive your speakers 6 ohm load perfecty - these loads are very nominal and in reality usually vary instantaneously from 2 or 3 ohms to 40 or more ohms depending on the frequency.

In terms of output - the RMB-1095 does in excess of 200W per channel into 8 ohms and closer to 300W into 6 ohms - both of which are over your speakers rated power handling - so you will be fine unless you do something like play DTS or DD tracks with no subwoofer and direct all the LFE bass to them at stilly volumes...

Geoff

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"