X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Loner
    • Nov 2005

Veritas 2.4's - B&W 802 matrix - C-9's

I've got an opportunity to get a set of new 2'4's and even a 2.0 center - both in the cherry finish. I also have an opportunity to get the older matrix series B&W 802's series 3, with no center but in near mint condition.

I just today got to listen to the 2.3's since I can't find anyone with the 2.4's. I've never listened to the older 802's but I did listen to the 802D's today, along with the HTM2 center - DROOL DROOL....!

I listen to 50/50 music/HT. The power would be coming from a Denon 3803. I know these speakers love power and don't know if the 3803 would be able to drive either sufficiently, especially the 802's.

The C-9's (with a CC-3 center) would only be a 3rd choice if the above 2 don't work out. Originally, I was set on the B&W 703's w/HTM7 center but have read all over the place that the center won't match the mains. Every B&W dealer I've gone to say the HTM7 matches all 700 series just fine!!!

Guys, what recommendations do you have? Getting a separate amp is out of the question for now.

It sure is difficult finding the Veritas and RC line in southern California ever since GG's closed down.......Ken Kranes only carry the lower end Energy lines.
    Denon AVR 3803, Denon DVD-2900, Denon DCM-560, Samsung Monitor, Yamaha TT-400U, Yamaha K-222, Panasonic PV-V4525S

Swans 6.1's Fronts, Swans C3 center, Swans R3's rears, SVS PB13-Ultra subwoofer, Cables - Neotech, BetterCables and Blue Jeans
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

Well I Love Energy but both companies make fine speakers so you can't really go wrong IMO.

The 3803 will run any them, just not as well as more robust amplification. So don't worry about that. Get the speakers you really want and then worry about upgrading the amplification down the line when you can afford it. Quality speakers will last you years, you can always upgrade the other stuff
    Jason

Comment

• locomk
      • Dec 2005

I personally have the Energy 2.4's, great speakers which i got while working at the good guys until the company closed. I had them hooked up to a yamaha av receiver that was 130wpc and they sounded pretty good. when good guys closed i bought some parasound amps and now the veritas really came to life. they will sound great for Ht and even music using a 3803 (i did a demo for customers using the 3803) but to get the bass that the 2.4's are known for, you need a amp with more current.

if your getting the I series, than there is nothing to worry about, but if your getting the original 2.4's, than check each driver carefully, the old drivers were known to freeze because the heat-sink was glued on instead of bolted and when the drivers got hot, the glue will melt and the drivers went dead. energy is aware of this and has replacement drivers that they will send you as long as you have proof of purchase.

Comment

• Loner
        • Nov 2005

Thanks guys! I'd really like to get those 802 matrix series 3's if at all possible. I know they're not the D's but hey.......I really like that B&W 800 series sound, even the 703's.

If I was to get these older 802's, what center channel would go with it? Would I need to get a center designed for these speakers or something from today, like an HTM4 etc.? Did they even make centers back when the series 3 were around? Hmmmm.

Thanks for the "i" info on the Veritas series. Yeah, that was a bummer when GG's closed down. As it stands, I can get the demo 2.3's at a GG's near me that hasn't fully closed yet. Another GG's say they'd order the 2.4's for me from Energy directly!

Decisions decisions.............. :E
        Denon AVR 3803, Denon DVD-2900, Denon DCM-560, Samsung Monitor, Yamaha TT-400U, Yamaha K-222, Panasonic PV-V4525S

Swans 6.1's Fronts, Swans C3 center, Swans R3's rears, SVS PB13-Ultra subwoofer, Cables - Neotech, BetterCables and Blue Jeans

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Have you compared the newer Energy's to the older B&W's yourself? Without hearing them yourself who knows which YOU like better?
          Jason

Comment

• Loner
            • Nov 2005

Unfortunately, I'm unable to compare the two speakers. I've only heard the 2.3's once and have never heard the matrix series. It was only a couple days ago I heard the 802D's.........they're incredible!

It's tough to find dealers in souther Calif who carries the RC or Veritas series, especially now that GG's has closed.

Comment

• worldys
              • Dec 2005

the perfect match for the matrix series is their matrix htm center, it is a little small but the only one they made in the matrix series

Comment

• Loner
                • Nov 2005

Thanks Worldys. This looks to be the same as the current HTM7 designed for the 700 series.

Have you ever heard the HTM matrix? or the 802 matrix?

Comment

• NonSense
                  • Nov 2003

Loner

Have you had a chance to see the pair of Matrix 802 S3 speakers that you are refering to?

These speakers are two generations old and visually appear dramatically different than either the Nautilus 802's and the new 802D's which you have heard. I cannot comment on the sound differences. But, I'm not sure you can directly correlate liking the sound of the newer 800 series product with liking the sound of the Matrix products.

Bruce

Comment

• locomk
                    • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Loner
                    Thanks guys! I'd really like to get those 802 matrix series 3's if at all possible. I know they're not the D's but hey.......I really like that B&W 800 series sound, even the 703's.

If I was to get these older 802's, what center channel would go with it? Would I need to get a center designed for these speakers or something from today, like an HTM4 etc.? Did they even make centers back when the series 3 were around? Hmmmm.

Thanks for the "i" info on the Veritas series. Yeah, that was a bummer when GG's closed down. As it stands, I can get the demo 2.3's at a GG's near me that hasn't fully closed yet. Another GG's say they'd order the 2.4's for me from Energy directly!

Decisions decisions.............. :E
                    be careful from ordering anything from GG, From what i know from working at the san francisco stores, is that GG cut off all new ordering from vendors and distributors. GG is now being ran by a liquidation company named the Gordon Brothers, so all policies are out the window. If anything is bought defective, your stuck with it. i'm surprised the SoCal stores are still open, all stores up here closed back in december.

The 2.3's and 2.4's have the same sound in the highs and mids, but the 2.4's have deeper bass and can really shake a room. B&W speakers are great and i have auditioned the 802 series, but i personally like the wide dispersion of the veritas tweeter/midrange. really fills a room and surround sound performance is beyond satisfactory.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"