X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterS
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

primare vs rotel **preamps and 2channel amps**

i can get primare for a reduced cost.... still more than rotel at retail of course
    in terms of preamps and 2 channel amps who has the better offerings
    couldnt find a lot about primare...

anyfeed back apreciated
  • Spearmint
    • Sep 2004

Hi Peter,

I am not sure if I am going to be of help or not but here goes.

The Rotel power amps have a tendency to roll off the highs as well as boost the bottom end IMO; this probably gives them their “warm” sound. I also found the 1080 amp to be a bit woolly in the bottom end.

Now regarding the Primare amp I have only listened to the 3ch model. A very solid amp with a great sound although a tendency to be a bit on the dark side. The sound appears to emanate from behind the speakers as opposed to being forward with the Rotels. Very easy to listen to just depends on the type of sound you are after, BTW it is not to my liking for long term listening

I have had no experience with the current range of Rotel pre amps; I use a 1098 in my setup, although in 2ch there is an apparent veil over the sound, which was annoying me, so I bought the Primare Pre30. Big step up from the 1098 in the 2ch stakes, has remote control, HT bypass, adjustable input levels, as well as balanced in & out. Lacks a phono pre if that is important to you.

So depending on the sound you are after will determine which way you go as there is a big difference with sonic signature of the amps, although I cannot comment on the current Rotel 2ch pre’s.
    Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

Working...
    😀
    😂
    🥰
    😘
    🤢
    😎
    😞
    😡
    👍
    👎
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"