X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Orange Peel
    • Nov 2004

Sad day, replaced the 1095....

I received my new amp today, an Aragon 3005, hooked it all up, and WOW, what a NICE amp!!! Definitely seems more full, powerful, wide, etc. Very pleased with the purchase. Lots of detail, BIG sumbitch though, probably 3-4 inches longer than the 1095, so I had to AGAIN rearrange my setup It's lighter as well than the 1095. Just listening to the radio was a HUGE improvement, sounded more real, full, detailed and live than the 1095. Don't get me wrong, the 1095 is awesome, it's SAD as hell to take it out of my system, it looks amazing, sounds great, I just needed more and the 3005 seems to be doing well right now. I traced down my noise/hum in the system, it's my cable, I took it out of the wall and it's crystal clear. So I need a ground loop isolator or something to rid myself of that noise.

I think I will keep the 1098 in the loop, I was looking at an Aragon Stage 1, but a good friend has shared some advice with me and I will be taking it

Here's some pics for you to see, I hate rearranging my crap

And here's my lastest Rotel addition, my zone 2 amplifier for my bedroom, an RB-1050....

Scott Goldsmith
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Just curious, can you turn the blue light off??

Kevin D.

Comment

• Orange Peel
      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Kevin D
      Just curious, can you turn the blue light off??

Kevin D.
      Yep, you can go to dim mode or off, I like it on The ONLY thing it could have to make it perfect is a 12v trigger, man I wish it did!
      Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• tech_table
        • Jan 2006

Look nice "Orange Peel", but the green light on right it too bright. 8O

Comment

• DrJRapp
          Super Senior Member
          • Apr 2003

Scott

I told you you'd love it! It's such a sweet amp, right up there with the best from Krell, Roland, Statement, Classe. My RF7s really started to sing, and moving up the food chain in amps made me want to take my speakers to the next level also..... it's contageous. OBTW, I would stay with the black...it looks perfect with the rest of the gear on your rack. I had to do the same thing with my 3005, put it on top it's sooooo deep. I think I warned you of that though.

I use my Monster 3600 to turn it on or off. Klipsch/Aragon also sells a powercenter-switch that they have on eBay.
          Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• mpeak
            • Jan 2005

I purchased a Aragon 3005 (300wpc) off of Audiogon, got
            a good deal on it, nice amp! But I sold it on craigslist three weeks ago,
            I much prefer the Rotel RB-1090 (380wpc)
            over the Aragon 3005, it's sound is very
            addictive with the Klipsch RF-7. The Klipsch RF-7 have now
            been discontinued. I heard the new Klipsch RF-83 today
            and it just doesn't have the same "I'm live real wow factor"
            so I'm disappointed with the tame down more suble sound,
            nice but not the RF-7 sound that I awesome over so much.
            My Rotel RB-1090 is going to be a long time keeper, loving it!
            It's an absolute beast of an amp! And up there with some of
            the best of the best, read the Stereophile, InnerEar, AbsoluteSound, etc.
            on this monster bargin amp. Did Rotel do good with the RB-1090,
            h*ll YES!! The Rotel RB-1090 is much, much heavier than the
            Aragon 3005, so you're gonna need two people to help move
            the RB-1090!! Some may not like that extra heavy but I'm ok
            with it, being that I'm in bliss with it. Enjoy :T

Comment

• DrJRapp
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2003

I agree that the rounded top end of the RB1090 goes a long way to tame the ever so slight shrillness of an unmodified RF7. However, if you were to mod the XOvers (a la DeanG) then you would have appreciated the smooth extended top end of the 3005.
              Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• mpeak
                • Jan 2005

Rotel+KlipschRF=Excellence

I've debated about the DeanG xover, but after talking to 3 others on the subject
                that have had it done, and gave the likes and dislikes of it, I'm not willing
                to take what I didn't like to hear because the RF-7 do not give me any slight
                shrillness, not a problem here but I'm running different equipment/cables, etc.
                I'm 100% satisfied reaching the nirvana that I have, well beyond my expectations.
                I've run many very expensive gear and speakers and this is where I'm willing
                to rest for a long time, I'm done shelling out so much money and not even
                getting as close as I have with the sound I prefer. I've listen to others
                about the Klipsch Heritage line and went through the Klipschorn's, Cornwall,
                KLF-30, and such as well but I still prefer the RF-7's over any of those models.
                So I wasted time and money going that route, now I only listen with my own
                ears and what I like, and not to sound rude or anything but I'm quite pleased
                with the RF-7's just as they are, and I had a long conversation with Klipsch
                about the DeanG mod and came to the overall conclusion to stay stock, love
                the sound and there is nothing to fix here with this well thought out setup.
                Thanks for the help and info!!!

Comment

• MoonSpin
                  • Jan 2005

Doc Rapp said: However, if you were to mod the XOvers (a la DeanG) then you would have appreciated the smooth extended top end of the 3005.

DeanG mods and the like here, yet only like what 000000.00001% extended top here, pretty much not relevant in my book.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Apr 2003

There is actually a huge difference, but you don't have to take my word for it.....My Dean G X overs are winging their way to Scott (Orange Peel) as we speak. He should get them on friday, and we'll have some fresh insite into the RF7 mods. As for me, I'm out of the Klipsch Reference and into Martin Logan.
                    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Orange Peel
                      • Nov 2004

Originally posted by DrJRapp
                      There is actually a huge difference, but you don't have to take my word for it.....My Dean G X overs are winging their way to Scott (Orange Peel) as we speak. He should get them on friday, and we'll have some fresh insite into the RF7 mods. As for me, I'm out of the Klipsch Reference and into Martin Logan.
                      Das right I can't wait!!!
                      Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• MoonSpin
                        • Jan 2005

You mis-understood me message:

I have RF-7 w/DeanG mods.

I wouldn't call HUGE! That's a bit on the dramatic side!!!

Anyway, enjoy your Martin Logan speakers, not as much my cup of tea
                        anymore, had mine for about 8 months and had to have the vinyl ribbons redone due to failure. I much prefer Klipsch RF-7 sound from the Logan static ribbons. Good Day.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Apr 2003

Originally posted by MoonSpin
                          You mis-understood me message:

I have RF-7 w/DeanG mods.

I wouldn't call HUGE! That's a bit on the dramatic side!!!
                          The rest of your electronics chain is probably limiting your appreciation of the extended top end from the DeanGs. I.E. if you have Rotel or Parasound amps, or a receiver, your electronics may have a "rounded top". The DeanGs arn't going to create something that isn't there, they are, in your case, going to tame the shrillness of tweeter borrowed from the professional series that Klipsch uses in the 7, allowing you toi listen unfatigued for longer periods of time.

Sorry about your bad experience with the MLs...you seem to have a lot of difficulty with the more esoteric stuff.
                          Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Orange Peel
                            • Nov 2004

Well I got the DeanG Crossovers for the RF-7's and RC-7 in, thanks to Jerry for selling them to me!!!!! Install was very easy to do, I tested them out, played a CD I know and have been listening to lately, and they definitely seem more tame, not as harsh and bright, they sound more punchy, like the woofers are doing more than before. I have noticed more detail in the speaker, it really brings out the effects, clarity over what they already had, sounds great! In 2 channel listening the sound is better than before (I really didn't like 2 channel that much before), they are full and wide sounding, big soundstage, like I have it in 5 channel stereo with just the RF-7's cranking. I'm very happy, I will see what it sounds like with a movie playing, but they seem to be more smooth, detailed and not as harsh than before. A great upgrade for sure!!!

Thanks again Jerry, my system is really coming together, now if I can ever win a damn bid on a RCD-1072 I may be set
                            Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• Joey_V
                              • Jul 2005

As much as I liked the RF7s I auditioned... I love my Martin Logan Vantage that much more. Jerry is a lucky man to have those Summits.
                              Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
                              Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
                              System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Mar 2005

Nice to hear a good word about the new aragons...
                                I was look at a pair of the Palladium Monos, but keep wanting more power
                                B&W

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Apr 2003

The Aragon 3005 is a Dan D'Agostino (of Krell) design that is essentially a 5 channel krell KAV 3250. The Palladiums are another brilliant D'Agostino design that supposidly are true winners. I wanted the 500wpc (at the 4 ohms of my Summits) of the 3005 for my mains and Center.
                                  Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• ProStereo
                                    • Nov 2004

Out of the collection of speakers I have had, the two that I would not give up in my life time will be the B&W N800D, and the Klipsch RF-7. I think Jerry is a fool to give his RF-7's up, and will come to regret it one day!

Jerry once had this to say about DeanG RF-7 mods:
                                    -------------------------------------------------------
                                    know I can probably improve the livability of the Chorus IIs to the level of the RFs by modifying them physically and upgrading crossovers, etc., but why bother? To me, it says something is wrong with a product if I have to tinker with it to be able to live with it. I'm a listener, not a tinkerer. My life is too active and busy to spend 2 years tinkering with a speaker to make it sound right. Really, if I wanted to tinker I could also buy a crossover upgrade from DeanG that supposidly improves the articulation of RF7s. Then again if I wanted to tinker, I'd probably build my own speakers like I did many years ago. Now, I just want to plug and play and enjoy. I really think that a lot of people who call audio/video their hobby arn't in it for the joy of listening, but for the tinkering. However, if I want a project, I just go to work! .
                                    --------------------------------------------------------------------------

The RF-7's actually sound fantastic without any mods needed, you don't need DeanG mods to enjoy these speakers! You will not get bright or harsh with these speakers if run with the right setup, etc. that goes well with it, to tame down the horn is to take away some of the great involvement these speakers re-create!

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Apr 2003

There is truth to what is quoted above, however, I believe Prostereo is twisting it a bit. I wrote it about having to Modify a Chorus II to make it livable, not about the RF7s. Also, it was written well before I heard the DeanG modified RF7. You don't NEED the DeanG mod to enjoy or live with the 7s, or else I never would have purchased them in the first place. It's just that the mods bring the speaker to another level at very little investment in $$ or effort. Based on what he says, I'm not sure that ProStereo has ever done much serious listening to a moded RF7.

Will I regret selling my RF7s?...you betcha! I wish I had the funds and the space to store them for my grandchildren, right now they are taking up a lot of space in our dining room and the Mrs isn't really happy about that. It took a $10K pair of ML Summit speakers (that's OVER 4 times the cost of the 7s) to significantly surpass them in SQ. However, my 7s are going to a good home at a close friends where he and his family can enjoy them rather than having them sit in storage.
                                      Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• ProStereo
                                        • Nov 2004

Jerry, it wasn't my intent to twist anything, I was just quoting what I saw you posted in the comment about the RF-7 during your comments to the Chorus II. Not trying to twist anything here and don't see how I came off as trying to (?), sorry you feel I was doing such. As for the mods, it could be possible that you have better ears than I because I hear subtle difference in many such cases, nothing I would call huge either but that is where we all perceive things differently to which levels we like to describe to others. Sometimes it takes these ears quite a bit of studying to even hear the subtle differences, as with some of my co-workers can point them out right away.

The Martin Logan Summit and the Klipsch RF-7 speakers are two different kind of speakers. It's really different sounds that isn't fair to compare. Each can do things that the other can't. The RF-7's can shine in a much intrusive way, as the ML Summits can shine in a much less intrusive way so to speak, but both very nice speakers.

Comment

• Kevin D
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Oct 2002

Moving to the audio forum.. Never thought a 'replacing Rotel' thread would have moved even farther away from a Rotel topic..

Kevin D.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Apr 2003

Originally posted by ProStereo
                                            The RF-7's can shine in a much intrusive way, as the ML Summits can shine in a much less intrusive way so to speak, but both very nice speakers.
                                            Is that speculation on your part? After living with the RF7s for three years and the summits for a full month let me say this about that. Although they are radically different design concepts, there isn't anything that the RF7 can do that the Summit can't. The Summit is far from a laid back speaker. If anything is true it's the other way around. The sound stage of the Summit makes the RF7 sound small. Not puny but small. The Summit is a far more dynamic speaker than the RF7. Even though it is lower in efficiency, it is much quicker, cleaner, and it's built in 400 wpc amp for the dual 10" LF drivers really rock down deep, way below what the RF7s can produce. Of course one would expect this kind of performance from a speaker costing $10K a pair!
                                            Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Apr 2003

Originally posted by Kevin D
                                              Moving to the audio forum.. Never thought a 'replacing Rotel' thread would have moved even farther away from a Rotel topic..

Kevin D.
                                              Good move!...this thread was never really about Rotel from the beginning, and it's wandered around thru a whole bunch of interesting topics.
                                              Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Orange Peel
                                                • Nov 2004

I wondered where this went :lol: I don't think I will ever be able to part with my Klipsch, they have always been the speaker I love and when I finally got my first pair (RF3's) I was blown away, and it only got better from there

I will try another setup for my next house in a bedroom or something, just to bring diversity into the house
                                                Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• ProStereo
                                                  • Nov 2004

Jerry, I am talking from experience. I am VERY familiar with the ML Summit, and still have the demo in place in our store. I'm also very familiar with the RF-7's and the ML's DO NOT HAVE THE IN YOUR FACE Klipsch sound, that is unique to the Klipsch style for the RF-7. I am not saying the ML's can't get big sound, I am talking about IN YOUR FACE for which the ML's do not do in the same way as the RF-7. I'm not trying to be an audio-snob here, if you see it that way, it's the way you see/hear it. They are different. The ML's do not have a horn! I can appreciate each for what they are. I just don't agree with some of what you hear for myself, now back to enjoying our pride and joys!

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Apr 2003

Your store setup sounds random. It took awhile for me to get the Summit positioned properly so that everything comes together, but when it does WOW! For what it's worth, everyplace I went to to audition the Summit, from the lowly Sound Advice (Tweeter) to the very high end shops had them set up improperly. All had them too far apart and toed in like a box speaker (believe it or not ML recommends nealy flat or even toed out in some rooms). Nobody knows how to use an SPL meter to get optimum setup, (or read instructions), it seems. Most of the high end audio shops had absorbtive material behind the Summit, which is a killer to a dipole. SA had them in front of a glass wall and was powering them with a midrange Denon receiver. Stupid, stupid, stupid. Set up properly with adequite power (at least 250 wpc) the Summit CRUSHES the RF7 in soundstage size, probably the 7's biggest weakness. The midrange inner detail is much better on the Summit, (especially around 3Kz) because of the absence of a squaker on the RF7.

I've had at least 100 friends (perhaps as high as 200, not sure), many of whom are audio enthusiasts to one degree or another come here and comment about the acoustical size and dynamic improvement. A number of my friends who I convinced to buy 7 series are truely envious. More than a few notice that my system finally has some real midrange dynamics.

It does seem we both take our sound like our coffee, differently, you like it loud and in your face, I prefer big, detailed and orchestral.....to each his own.
                                                    Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Burke Strickland
                                                      • Sep 2001

Hmmm... you've moved up to new equipment in your setup that you really like, and you get to keep the 1095 as well... we should all have such "sad" days. :>)

Glad you (and your friends) are enjoying your (properly set up) HT equipment!

Burke

What you DON'T say may be held against you...

Comment

• Kevin97225
                                                        • Oct 2004

I'm running Klipsch RF-7's with Rotel RB-1090, RC-1090, and RCD-1072 and this combo has a great synergy together. My soundstage from the RF-7's with this combo is HUGE, large and wide. There is no lack of soundstage that the Rotel gives the RF-7 but I've listen to setups and yet to hear as large as a soundstage this one gives me, all I have to say is that I'm very pleased with my setup, I don't feel I need the "Very Best" because I'm getting close enough, and that's enough for me but I'm also very pratical where my $$$ goes. :T I can highly recommend this setup to anyone! :T

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Apr 2003

If you have the space and the $$ to have that much gear, I do suspect the soundstage would be HUGE. I'd be very dissapointed if it weren't. Setup had to be a bear to try and keep all those woofers from interfering with each other.

Practical?....you're kiddin me!
                                                          Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Kemp
                                                            • Nov 2003

At the end of last year i attended a local audio show and got to listen to the ML summits paired with the latest Audio Research amps (can't remember the models but it was huge amps). That was the best sound my ears have ever heard. Although they played "classical" type music and i'm more a hard rock person i really enjoyed it to an extent that i could enjoy classical music. I can't describe the feeling when i sat there and listened to them.

But as with all things people enjoy different sounds and characteristics. That's why i also don't think it would've sounded that awesome with rock, i might be wrong (would like to find out ).
                                                            Marius

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Apr 2003

I know exactly what you mean. Listening to The Summits evokes a feeling that IS hard to describe. There isn't any reason The Summit shouldn't sound great with Rock. I have a bunch of Jazz that I consider transitional jazz/rock and it sounds fabulous on the MLs.
                                                              Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• Kevin97225
                                                                • Oct 2004

DrJRapp, my comments on my setup was for 1 Rotel setup & 1-pr. of Klipsch RF-7. The only reason for the picture taken all together was during testing only, now the setup is in different parts of the house, and one at my business office at work. A single pair of RF-7 team up with Rotel RC-1090 & RB-1090 & RCD-1072, I am getting a huge soundstage with pin-point focus. Running more than one RF-7's is a BIG over-kill, way too much soundfield, nice but I prefer just one RF-7 pair at a time!

The ML Summits are nice, I enjoyed them when I spent time listening to them, very sparkly highs were nice, floating mids were nice. The Klipsch RF-7's have their own magical feeling to them. I liked the ML Summits but not enough to give up my setup that I'm really pleased with. I am not willing to put out that kind of $$$ for the ML Summits, especially since I'm pleased with what I have now, but like I said, I'm very pratical and I do avoid going through all the changing of equipment like some audio buffs enjoy. I find something I am extremely pleased with, along with a great value, and I'm all set! No speaker is perfect and it just goes to choice and taste.

Comment

Working...
                                                                😀
                                                                😂
                                                                🥰
                                                                😘
                                                                🤢
                                                                😎
                                                                😞
                                                                😡
                                                                👍
                                                                👎
                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                Search Result for "|||"