X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ryko
    • Jan 2006

Need some Speakers for music!

Doing a 2.1 system and I have been looking at way too much stuff. I went to some shops and all they have is HT setups and they :roll: refuse to let me try out a cd on the system..

Im looking for speakers that can handle hard rock, trance and rap music. Along with some jazz and classical. Something with widee soundstage...
    I like the sound of klipsch speakers, the spacious feel and dynamics. The mirage omni speakers sound amazing too!

Budget is around $300 a set. I know its not much, but what do you guys reccomend?
  • Ryko
    • Jan 2006

I was looking at these but this company is brandddddd spanking new..like 2005 new..http://www.radiient.com/s.nl/sc.2/category.32/.f

Also considering the Klipsch SB-2, and RB15..

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Ryko
      Doing a 2.1 system and I have been looking at way too much stuff. I went to some shops and all they have is HT setups and they :roll: refuse to let me try out a cd on the system..
      You need to take your business elsewhere... IMHO

Something with widee soundstage...
      Also a function of your room and setup in addition to the speaker.

Budget is around $300 a set. I know its not much, but what do you guys reccomend?
      I don't think you will find speakers and a sub for $300 that will be of high quality. I would suggest to start with a nice set of "bookshelf" speakers and add a sub when funds permit.

You might take a look at the used market. Maybe some B&W 601 or something similar. I have not heard the Klipsch that you mentioned...
      Danish

Comment

• Shane Martin
        Super Senior Member
        • Apr 2001

My gut feeling says to recommend a paradigm bookshelf speaker. Sure you can get towers for $300 but they aren't any good IMHO. I've recommended Paradigm twice to friends/family and they haven't let me down.

Comment

• dyazdani
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Oct 2005

I would agree, Paradigm also has some great bookshelves.
          Danish

Comment

• Ryko
            • Jan 2006

Sorry forgot to mention that i dont need a sub. Im building my own sub its going to be 2 8s ported and tuned to 30hz in one enclosure :T

I read some reviews that the Pardigim Atoms were a great set of bookshelf speakers. Anyone know where i can get them online?

As for the room its going to be perfect the way the speakers are going to be placed I already mapped that all out:W

What other speakers you guys reccomend?

Comment

• Shane Martin
              Super Senior Member
              • Apr 2001

Paradigm does not authorize online sales thus they are thru your local dealer. My local dealer will discount very nicely. The Atoms are the exact speaker I was thinking of.

Other speakers: Audio Advisor has some Boston Acoustics CR7/8's in that range. Boston makes a very nice speaker. I had a good experience recently with AA.

Comment

• Ryko
                • Jan 2006

Well im probaly going to HAVE to buy online. Because the only good place here that actuly showed me some respected and acted like they cared about me buying something from them is VERY exspensive. They sell KEF, True Audio, SVS and some other stuff i never herd of. I think the guy said the cheapest bookshelfs they had were 1200 a set. Not sure if that was only from True Audio though, He just kept talking about them more than any other company.

Comment

• Ryko
                  • Jan 2006

And i talked with people from Audio Advisor before in the past, they were great.

Man, i just really need something that is very smoothh highs and extreme dynamics for my rock. But then again still tight and punchy for my trance/rap...Im going to look into the Bostons..

Comment

• gd
                    • Jan 2003

Another good option is Cambridge SoundWorks, a low-cost, high-value line of speakers whose roots go back to respected designer Henry Kloss.

Their Newton line is excellent for the money... state of the art? - no... extremely good value? - yes... neutral, dynamic, efficient... nothing wimpy about these but the price.

You can order online, with a return policy... or if you live near an outlet (CA, MA) you can hear them firsthand in their extensive comparison rooms.

And, as noted, buying used is a good way to go... I like Monitor Audio, NHT, Canton in this price range.

Whatever you do, don't try to buy 'full-range' floorstanders for $300... won't happen.

Happy hunting.
                    greg (gd to you)
                    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                    production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Ryko
                      • Jan 2006

Yeah not looking for floorstanding anyway..Im going to look into those, thanks.

I actuly found a good audio shop today..2 of them. And got to demo the KEF iQ3. They sounded pretty good. Very detailed. The guy reccomended that I check out the PSB 25s. Whats your oppinion on the 2 sets?

Comment

• JPodL
                        • Jul 2005

Axiom and Ascend both make good speakers you can get on-line. Since you said you were building the sub let me suggest that you build the speakers,too. For $300 you can build a nice set of bookshelves.

Comment

• ThomasW
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

If you're going to build your own sub, then take the next step and make a pair of these They'll be a bit more than your $300 budget but they'll sound significantly better than anything you can buy at retail for that amount.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Ryko
                            • Jan 2006

Good news! I got to demo the KEFs against the Paradigm Titan and the Studio bookshelfs..--I didnt see any thing on the paradigms website about STUIDO speakers so im guessing he must of ment the Monitor Line..

Demoed some trance, rock and rap songs. Denon Receiver.

The Monitor had some SERIOUS midbass. I was really shocked on the bass output on those things. I highly reccomend that for people who do not want to use a sub and want some "omph" in their music. Seriously that thing knocks.

The Kefs had some bass too but it was not nearly as good as the Monitor. But, It was, to me, Smooother in the upper midrange frequencys.--Like during trance songs on high peaks no matter where you sat you were just like WOW..very envoloping type sound. The Studios did no have as wide a sound stage. They were VERY close in the sound though. The kefs had a more balanced and natural 3d type sound.

When listening to trance you can really tell the depth the KEFs had. With rock, some demo rock CD..The Kefs sounded pretty much identical to the Studio line. It was really hard to tell a diff between the 2--the Kefs sounded a bit more brighter other than that no real difference. Again the Rock cd they had sucked.

The titan did not compare to the kefs at all. It was like having a blanket over the speaker when the Titans were on and pulling off the blanket when switching to the KEFs.

This was all done at 6th ave electronics. I didnt know they carried that kinda of gear,(paradigm, kef etc) I was going thier to demo the RB15s and the RB25s and whatever else they had. And even still i didnt think they would of had a setup like they did. Thats why i didnt bring any CDs. --Didnt get to test either of those speakers because they had them both set up in diff spots in the store for HT use and I couldnt do any sort of A and B comparison.

**One thing that i did notice about the KEFs, is that they are power hungry. The guy was baiscly turning the volume up a quarter more everytime he switched the kefs and back down when he went to the Paradigms. He told me they are very power hungry.

Well i had fun testing the stuff out :B Gotta wait till tuesday so I can hear those PSB B25s.

And that do it yourself deal, ehh, i got 2 much going on now to be messing with all that. Thanks though.

Comment

• vBullet
                              • Dec 2005

¿Mission 782?

Comment

• Ryko
                                • Jan 2006

Nahh im good. Those reviews are never really that accurate. Id have to listen to them my self.

Comment

• David Meek
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Aug 2000

Originally posted by Ryko
                                  Id have to listen to them my self.
                                  That's the single smartest thing you can do. Good choice. :yesnod:

Do take 5-6 CDs along that you are VERY familiar with, so that you are able to more easily identify things you are looking for in a speaker and also things you are looking to avoid.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• Ryko
                                    • Jan 2006

Yeap im making a cds for that as I type

Comment

• crack09
                                      • Feb 2006

i'm also looking for a 5.1 speaker set, which brand it's better, KEF or M&K?? I have $1,500, and I think I can get KEF'S iQ serie or M&K 55 series, which do you recommend me?? I use 60% for movies and 40% for music in a 15 foot room.

Comment

• KeithM
                                        • Oct 2005

I'll agree with KEF's being very power-hungry. At that budget, I'd look at DIY or used. www.Craigslist.com has really good deals if you look around and wait. If you want it really soon, build the modula MTM.

Comment

Working...
                                        😀
                                        😂
                                        🥰
                                        😘
                                        🤢
                                        😎
                                        😞
                                        😡
                                        👍
                                        👎
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"