X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ron Reda
    • Jan 2003

Power Products

In looking at the pictures on this forum, I've noticed that a lot of people are using Monster Power products for line conditioning/surge protection. While I know it’s sometimes difficult to determine what kind of effect these types of products have on your system, how do you like them? Why did you choose them over other companies such as Panamax, Richard Gray’s Power Company, PS Audio, etc.? I’m in the market for one and am having a hard time deciding which one to get without breaking the bank. Thanks!
  • JohnnyH
    • Sep 2005

I'm wondering the same thing. I think I am going to add an APC H15 unit. I actually regulates the voltage, unlike many others. It is also much less money than the Monster products. I'd wait until it comes out with the Rotel face plate, but I'm sure it will cost more as well.

John

Comment

• bzrk
      • Oct 2005

try the new rotel product line?
      Gr. Sebastian

Comment

• Ron Reda
        • Jan 2003

Does anyone have any experience with APC?

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Ron Reda
          Does anyone have any experience with APC?
          Great company, I highly recommend :T
          Jason

Comment

• Slice
            • Jan 2005

Well, I have the Monster HTS 2600, but if I were doing it again, I wouldn't buy Monster. I don't like the arrangement of receptacles on the back of the unit. Specifically, the I/O for RF cables is in between the AC receptacle for the unit's own power cord and the receptacle bank for the components. It makes it unnecessarily tricky to keep the RF signal cables separated from power cords. What were they thinking?

Compare this to Panamax units where RF is at the end instead of the middle.
            - Slice

Comment

• Ron Reda
              • Jan 2003

Great company, I highly recommend
              Has your experience with APC been with HT gear or computers?

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

Both
                Jason

Comment

• Ron Reda
                  • Jan 2003

Slice,

Is it able to accommodate larger aftermarket power cords (cords with larger male ends) that would be plugged in side by side? Other than the arrangement of the receptacles, how do you like it?

Comment

• REOFan
                    • Jan 2006

Choose - Then Don't Look Back

My introduction to power conditioning was with a Monster HTS 2000 in my 2-channel audio system (after reading a Robert Hartley review in TAS). It made an incredible improvement - blacker background, clearer highs, improved bass, and enhanced clarity. I now use two with my TVs--one in the family room, the other in a bedroom. (I moved them from my audio system to my TVs.)

My dad is into TVs, so I bought him a couple of 2000s for his systems. His tangle of cords into generic power strips made me cringe. So we cleaned up his mess with the 2000s. They were a terrific bargain. I expect the latest generation of such to be as good if not better.

I then moved onto PS Audio: P300 for digital gear, tuner, and preamp; Ultimate Outlets for each Parasound JC 1 amp. This was a definite step up from the Monster strip I was using (and still value - I can't tell you how much of a value this unit is).

When I began reading about Shunyata power conditioners and power cords, I got the bug: had to try one. So I ordered a Hydra 8 and an Alpha power cord. Guess what? Still more improvement: less grain, improved bass, more depth to the soundstage. Next thing I knew, I was ordering more power cords and Hydra 2s for my amps. Now that I have Shunyata products, I am no longer curious about other products. Depending upon budget, a Hydra 4 or 8 might work very well for you. I can tell you that I'm done with power conditioning.

So I can recommend Monster, PS Audio, and Shunyata. I bet other products are also merit consideration. Buy products that work for you--fit your needs and price range. You can't go wrong. I expect you will experience improved performance and you will get some protection (as well as peace of mind). Once you begin, you won't look back.

Comment

• Kevin D
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Oct 2002

I'll go ahead and say this before it gets ugly (and it always gets ugly), you will find people that have incredible gains and you will find people who only find lighter wallets.

People replying to this thread need to have 1) experience with the products, 2) the understanding that people's experiences will be dependent upon the condition of the power coming into their house originally, and 3) the realization that without proof (which we can never have), one has to be considerate of all claims irregardless of how true one feels they are.

In addition, I'm moving this to a more appropriate forum.

Thanks,

Kevin D.

Comment

• Slice
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Ron Reda
                        Slice,

Is it able to accommodate larger aftermarket power cords (cords with larger male ends) that would be plugged in side by side? Other than the arrangement of the receptacles, how do you like it?
                        Ron, sorry for the late response. AFAIK, this unit should accommodate anything. Function-wise, I've had no problems, but then my house is only 12 years old plus I don't have a lot of other loads on the circuit; no cable or sat. box either. I'm far from an electrical guru, but my impression is that I probably haven't gotten a good value for my money, in hindsight.
                        - Slice

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"