X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peterS
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

crown CE1000 vs Rotel rb-1070

The newest interpretation of a classic Rotel award-winning power amplifier design, the RB-1070 continues the tradition of oversized toroidal transformer and high capacity power supply.

im heavily leaning towards the crown but the local stereo shop scoffs at the idea... stating its more of a proaudio thing

while this is true they are proven to be brutes and excell in the bass region

the only negative these have going for them is the loud fan

now as for the rotel im payin more for less power, but gain looks and the ability to put it in my component shelf since its quiet

two things bug me about the rotel besides the lower power
    1. the front heat sink does not seem to be functional... ie just for looks
    2. there are no gain controls!

i have the rotel 1070 cd player and a denon 3806
    i am building my own speakers and will run the tweeter and mids passively off the denon and will run the subs actively off either of the aformentioned amps

i know this is different than many of you would do but im on a budget so id like to utilize some of that power i payed for in the denon (HT will be delt w/ next)
  • peterS
    Super Senior Member
    • Dec 2005

here is some more on the crown for those unfamiliar

Comment

• mike c
      • Dec 2005

the crown has:10kOhms input
      rotel: 33kOhms
      (dont know what those are)

also note that wattage specified by the crown unit is 275wpc at 1khz (at low distortion, it would be lower than that, but still higher than the rotel 1070)

and the rotel has the all important 12v trigger.

if you want a unit without the noisy fan, consider the Crown K1 or K2
      or using two of the behringer A500 (both used as mono)

Comment

• peterS
        Super Senior Member
        • Dec 2005

thanks

the k-1 doesnt quote any distortion info....hmmm

as far as input impedence a very general statement can be made that higher is better

still confused on the lack of gains on the rotel... what am i missing ops:

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI peter,
          The lack of gain controls on power amps is common, unfortunately. I like them too. But from a purely functional point of view, there are enough gain controls scattered thoughout the system to get the job done.

A final comment. Don't pay too much attention to the spec sheets. Do a lot of critical listening. Your ears will reveal the truth.

Sparky

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

When Harman Int. bought Crown they forced them to design a cheap power amp to compete with the Chinese stuff. The CE series amps are not very good.

The Crown K Series are in a completely different league compared to the CE series. Our HT-Guide moderator JonMarsh was pretty deeply involved with the design and development of the K Series amps.

BTW since the Rotel heat sinks are bolted to the chassis they're functional.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• wildfire99
              • Aug 2005

I don't think I've heard ANYONE say good things about CE amps. In fact, several people recommended specifically NOT getting them when I was looking at a few.
              - Patrick
              "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• peterS
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

Originally posted by wildfire99
                I don't think I've heard ANYONE say good things about CE amps. In fact, several people recommended specifically NOT getting them when I was looking at a few.
                :E
                glad i asked

Comment

• Ryko
                  • Jan 2006

What about the XL line of amp...

That one to be specific

Comment

• mike c
                    • Dec 2005

again, this unit has a fan that MIGHT be audible

Comment

• pearsall001
                      • Dec 2005

Check out the Behringer A500 amp. I have 2 of them running in mono. Very, very, pleased w/ their performance. Cooled w/ heatsinks, no internal fan to generate noise. Get one from Parts Express w/ their liberal 45 day return policy. This way you can really give them a work out in your system, you probably won't send them back!!!

Comment

• peterS
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Dec 2005

ive been hearing good things about the crown macro tech....

Comment

• whoaru99
                          • Jul 2004

There are lots of people using pro amps for HT.

The Crown XLS402 seems to be pretty popular. Many are modded by putting a resistor in the fan circuit to slow it, or disconnecting the fan altogether (probably NOT what I'd do), or replacing the fan with one that's quieter.

I think the Macro Tech series is a good bit more expensive than those previously mentioned.

Crown's finest were (arguably) the Studio Reference series, but these are no longer in production from what I understand.
                          There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• peterS
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by whoaru99
                            There are lots of people using pro amps for HT.

The Crown XLS402 seems to be pretty popular. Many are modded by putting a resistor in the fan circuit to slow it, or disconnecting the fan altogether (probably NOT what I'd do), or replacing the fan with one that's quieter.

I think the Macro Tech series is a good bit more expensive than those previously mentioned.

Crown's finest were (arguably) the Studio Reference series, but these are no longer in production from what I understand.
                            still available though :T

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"