• yog
    • Dec 2005

DVD-A vs DVD-V

If you have the choice, wich setup do you consider:

5.1 MLP encoding on DVD-Audio

or

5.1 DTS encoding on DVD-Video?

Another question:

Is DVD-Audio is a type of encoding by itself?

Thank you!
  • csuzor
    • Nov 2004

dvd-a is far superior to dts, because dvd-a mlp is lossless, 24bit 96khz I believe. However, dvd-a is dead, so don't expect many new releases. dts is for movies and film videos. 24/96 lossless music will resurrect on future disk formats. In the meantime, have you tried sacd?

Comment

• Daryl Furkalo
      • Feb 2002

DVD-Audio is a high resolution music format, like SACD. DVD-A would prefered provided any bass management and time alignment that may be necessary can be done in your setup, otherwise DTS may well sound better. In my setup, I have an ICBM that performs bass management, and my speakers are equidistant so it isn't a problem.

Comment

• yog
        • Dec 2005

Humm! don't sure i understand.
        First i considere that DVD-A and DVD-Audio are same thing. Right?

After, "DVD-A would prefered provided any bass management and time alignment that may be necessary can be done in your setup" ???

Thank's for your time!

Comment

• yog
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by csuzor
          dvd-a is far superior to dts, because dvd-a mlp is lossless, 24bit 96khz I believe. However, dvd-a is dead, so don't expect many new releases. dts is for movies and film videos. 24/96 lossless music will resurrect on future disk formats. In the meantime, have you tried sacd?
          No i don't

Comment

• Daryl Furkalo
            • Feb 2002

Originally posted by yog
            Humm! don't sure i understand.
            First i considere that DVD-A and DVD-Audio are same thing. Right?

After, "DVD-A would prefered provided any bass management and time alignment that may be necessary can be done in your setup" ???

Thank's for your time!
            With DTS and Dolby Digital, when you setup your system, you set speaker distances, and output levels. Unfortunately with DVD-A and SACD, in early generation players, there is no bass management or very limitted, and no time alignment (speaker distance). Current generation players that have ilink or Denonlink allow the digital transmission and apply your system setup settings, instead of the six analog cable setup originally.

Comment

• yog
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Daryl Furkalo
              With DTS and Dolby Digital, when you setup your system, you set speaker distances, and output levels. Unfortunately with DVD-A and SACD, in early generation players, there is no bass management or very limitted, and no time alignment (speaker distance). Current generation players that have ilink or Denonlink allow the digital transmission and apply your system setup settings, instead of the six analog cable setup originally.
              I have a Rotel RDV-1060. With Digital output and 6 analog output. but the DVD-A signal pass only through the 6 analog output.

and that's why i'm asking what's the better output!

If for the DVD-A it's the analog, is it the same for Normal CD or DVD-V consider the processor of my DVD is better that the processor of my receiver (Harman Kardon AVR-110)?

Comment

• Daryl Furkalo
                • Feb 2002

Originally posted by yog
                I have a Rotel RDV-1060. With Digital output and 6 analog output. but the DVD-A signal pass only through the 6 analog output.

and that's why i'm asking what's the better output!

If for the DVD-A it's the analog, is it the same for Normal CD or DVD-V consider the processor of my DVD is better that the processor of my receiver (Harman Kardon AVR-110)?
                The DVD-A will be better than the DTS track. Regular CD's will probably sound better on the analog input as well. There shouldn't be any noticeable differences on DVD-V playback for DTS and DD.

Comment

• yog
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Daryl Furkalo
                  The DVD-A will be better than the DTS track. Regular CD's will probably sound better on the analog input as well. There shouldn't be any noticeable differences on DVD-V playback for DTS and DD.
                  I'am very surprise when you tell that probably regular cd will sound better on the analog input!

could you tell me why?

Thank you!

Comment

• Daryl Furkalo
                    • Feb 2002

Originally posted by yog
                    I'am very surprise when you tell that probably regular cd will sound better on the analog input!

could you tell me why?

Thank you!
                    The DAC's of the Rotel will be used for digital-analog conversion as opposed to the DAC's of your receiver.

Comment

• yog
                      • Dec 2005

So if sound is better with analog input it's because we presume that the DAC of the Rotel is batter than the DAc of my receiver?

Why company does't make Preamp 5.1 without processor?

Thank you

Comment

• Daryl Furkalo
                        • Feb 2002

Originally posted by yog
                        So if sound is better with analog input it's because we presume that the DAC of the Rotel is batter than the DAc of my receiver?

Why company does't make Preamp 5.1 without processor?

Thank you
                        I have a preamp like that, Sony TA-P9000ES. I use a Lexicon MC1 for all processing. The main reason you use a processor is for other sources, CD, satellite, Xbox etc.

Comment

• purplepeople
                          • Aug 2004

The reason SACD does not necessarily have bass management is because the SACD standard expects all 6 speakers to be capable of 20-50kHz full range. And this from the basic liner notes in any of my SACD albums. I expect that DVD-audio is the same but cannot confirm.

As for analog multi-channel preamps, there is also the Audio Refinement Pre-5 mfg by YBA.

ensen.
                          Those who claim to be making history are often the same ones repeating it...

Comment

• whoaru99
                            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by yog
                            In most cases, 6 analog outputs/inputs for DVD-A is the only choice since DVD-A format is not transmitted via the S/PDIF digital output.

For normal CD, you have to try both ways (analog and digital) because there is not really any way to say with absolute certainty which will sound better to you. Technical specifications do not necessarily indicate which one will sound better in reality.

I think DVD-V (which will be DD or DTS) will be only with digital connection, but I am not 100% sure about this aspect.
                            There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

Working...
                            😀
                            😂
                            🥰
                            😘
                            🤢
                            😎
                            😞
                            😡
                            👍
                            👎
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"