X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tboooe
    • Jun 2005

Any try Orb Audio?

Hi, I know this is may be crazy but I am looking for a low cost, small speaker system for my family room. I already have my reference system in a different room which I already paid too much for so I am just looking for a decent set of small speakers that will be used mainly for some movies (I am not a home theater fanatic) and mostly background music listening.

I really do not want to buy bose. I have heard some great things about Orb Audio. Since they sell direct, there is no way for me to listen to them first before buying (though they do offfer an unconditional money back guarantee). Has anyone here tried them? Are they decent? I am not looking to recreate the quality of my reference system but I do want something that sounds like absolute rubbish either. Am I asking too much?
    • Nov 2005

HI tboooe,
    Given the huge number of speaker companies and an equally large price spread out there, it would be nice if you could tell us what your budget is. I'm not up on the low cost speakers on the market so I can't help. but others can I trust.

I was in your postion not long ago when I started setting up my "budget" bedroom HT system. Low cost speakers, right. It didn't work out that way. I ended up buying 805S's and dual ASW800 subs. Bottom line is be careful. This thing can get out hand quickly.

The up side is I now have a butt kicking bedroom system (and an empty checkbook). I guess it's a good trade. I like the system a lot.

Sparky

Comment

• Snap
      Super Senior Member
      • Feb 2005

I have only heard them 1 time. They did not leave me with a Good or Bad impression. I just don't remeber how they reall sounded.

I do have a few Sugestions for you.

Jamo A320 is a very nice sounding speaker. Small, comes in black white or silver, and are very nicly priced. You can get the whole 5.1 system for 600 bucks. May be even less if you shop around.

Jamo A325. I have not used these speakers but they might be something worth looking at.

If I was not doing in ceiling speakers for the master bed room, I would put the A320 system in my bed room. Very nice speakers for the money.

NOTE: They come with their own mounting system. The bad thing about the A320 is that it can only move left and right. No vertical movement avail. :cry: The A340 can move in all directions, but the thing is HUGE for a Sat speaker! :yesnod:
      The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• tboooe
        • Jun 2005

Thanks for the replies. Karma, I am looking at not spending more than $1000. One big consideration for me is size. I want to something that is inobtrusive so it blends into my family room.

Snap: i will check out the Jamos.

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

If inobtrusive is a major goal, look at in-walls. Triad makes several very nice series of them, starting with the Bronze line. I'm not sure if they fit within your budget but they absolutely cover the inobtrusive angle.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• davidcox519
            • Jan 2006

I really like the Orbs and can recommend them highly. I've had them for over a year and to this day my wife and I, and our friends that come over, are amazed at the sound from these speakers. I replaced much bigger JBL speakers and these, with the Orb sub, have a bigger, deeper sound and much better detail and clarity. Bottom line is I love them and the wife loves them and you can't beat that.

Comment

• tboooe
              • Jun 2005

davidcox519:
              thank you for the response. do you have the orb mod1 or mod2 setup? did you also audition the gallo speakers?

Comment

• Alloroc
                Super Senior Member
                • Dec 2005

Hi,

Perhaps a bit obvious but what about the B&W MT series. Sound and look great, well made and I imagine you might fit the MT-20 into your budget.

Vincent.
                Vincent.

I don't want the world. I just want your half.

Comment

• davidcox519
                  • Jan 2006

I have the People's Choice system...3 Mod2 in the front and 2 Mod1 in the back. I've heard the Gallo A'Diva and the Orbs sound a little richer to me, especially on vocals and stringed instruments. Since I'm about 50/50 music and movies, this is really important. Music sounds great (I listen to music that is mostly guitar and vocals) and the dialogue in movies is not hard to discern, as it is on some other systems. The sub is also great...not boomy at all but very powerful and deep. I definitely encourage you to give them a try.

Comment

• vyger
                    • Feb 2006

davidcox519

in the same position as tboooe, would lilke to replace current satellites with Orbs. glad to read your input. Wanted to know what size JBL's you replaced.

thanks

Comment

• gd
                      • Jan 2003

No expereience with the Orbs.

I like the original Gallo Nucleus Micro, but can't recommend their subs.

If you are committed to your budget, try Cambridge SoundWorks... very credible line of speakers whose roots go back to the venerable Henry Kloss.

They sell online, but as you are in California, there may likely be a CSW outlet store nearby where you can audition in their rather extensive switch-on-the-fly showroom.

Modest appearance, but high value.
                      greg (gd to you)
                      Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                      production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• pearsall001
                        • Dec 2005

Check out SVSound.com Besides their subs they now make complete speaker packages. Never heard them but from what I've read they're very good & extremely reasonable. If they're anywhere near as good as their subs, they should sound fantastic. Plus they have a 30 day return policy.

Comment

Working...
                        😀
                        😂
                        🥰
                        😘
                        🤢
                        😎
                        😞
                        😡
                        👍
                        👎
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"