X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Bass traps? My bass dissapears...

Ok, so knowing my room needs treatment, and as soon as Im done workin 70-80 hr weeks, it will get it. (and yes, its still unfinished and bare, needs lotsa work still)
    But just today, i walked up to my processor and as I stood right inbetween the 802s... wow, listen to that bass, and as I walk away to the seating position, about 7 feet away from the speakers.... it almost disapears! :cry:

So now is this telling me I need some bass traps? Are we talking cylinders here? Placed behind the speakers?

I have plans made up for some tiles to be made for the reflection points on the walls, and some corner treatments for the ceiling.. but I keep picking up on people using cylinders or columns for bass traps... These are to prevent destructive interference at certain frequencies correct? Thus you actually hear more bass, as its not canceling out.
    Anyone feel free to comment. What and where would you start?

Current pic just taken, sorry for the bad quality, quick snap. ops:

EDIT: just realized this should have gone in spaced out, my bad.
    Last edited by Race Car Driver; 11 January 2006, 17:48 Wednesday.
    B&W
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

. What and where would you start?
    I'd start by 'mapping' the room. This means taking a series of measurements at numerous locations in the room.

You could also use a room-mode and RT/60 simulator to have some reference. Here's a link to Eric Desart's Excel based freeware

Although under construction here's a acoustic trap webpage I'm working on.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• Bob
      • Jul 2000

I had the same problem in my room, in spades. Bass everywhere but the sitting position. I started with the DIY Risch flat panels in the front corners and the first reflections which gave some improvement. Then I contacted Ethan at Real Traps and through his guidence placed traps in the corners and where the walls met the ceiling. Suddenly I had bass. Eventually I decided to experiment with ASC tube traps. I put the front corner traps from Ethan in the first and secondary reflection points and stacked tubes in the front corners, as instructed by ASC. Now I have excellent bass plus big, big improvement in the mid range. And it isn't just subjective. Each placement was followed by measurements.
      Were I to do it all over I would have called Rives and let them design a treatment. They will give you a design and DIY plans for treatment. And in the end, it costs about the same as buying the traps I mentioned. I have seen and heard two rooms that were Rives designed and they're the real deal.

Comment

• grit
        • Jan 2005

Bob, you got any contact information for them? Webpage, etc?

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Google is your friend

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"