X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kurtholz
    • Feb 2005

installed 20 amp mains,(WOW)

Hey all

well, i hate to admit it, had 2 20 amp dedicated circuits installed today, running my amps off one and the rest thru my monster3500 thru the other

i am of course, a well known believer in tweaks and geeks, but i have to admit, i really feel like there is a darker or clearer sound stage, it took all the hiss out of my system,

my dealer has been on me from the start to do this, it really does make a huge difference

now to even make the point stronger, my wife, the evil hater of speakers 4 ft out from the wall, the evil hater of 8 different components, the evil lady who doesnt believe i spent as much on sound as i did her Jaguar

i made her listen to some music with me earlier, she looked around the room, looking for what i had bought to make it sound so much better

i can't tell you how much difference this makes, i have heard this from others on the forum, but until now couldnt believe it really could make much difference

well, back to the music, i think she can take another hour or so,

:-)

Kurt
  • Race Car Driver
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Thats great to hear.. did you do it yourself? Or have someone come out and do it? I need to have it done my self, and with an unfinished basemennt, im thinking I may be able to do it my self.

May I ask about what it set you back?
    B&W

Comment

• kurtholz
      • Feb 2005

I am way to retarded to do anything , well, i can plug stuff in, haha

i'm noy sure what it will cost, i had my electrician do it, he will just bill it to one of my jobs ( i build and remodel houses)

no IRS agents here right?

it was no big deal, they just ran new wire and added new breakers to my existing box, i have room for 2 more, they also said they could have added a four plex outlet instead of the two

now, this is the wierd part, he measured how many amps it was drawing while running, i turned it up to about 40( on my Krell) which is loud, 60 is ear bleeding, but at that loud volume it was drawing less than 4 amps

i thought that was really low, considering i have 2 big amps plus big asw800 sub ?

good luck with yours, but when it comes to electricity, hire it done,

regards

Kurt

Comment

• wildfire99
        • Aug 2005

Since the power usage was low, maybe then it was better wiring that had an impact? Try cranking up War of the Worlds and check the draw during transient peaks... mwah hah hah.

If your wiring is already 12 gauge, then you just swap outlets for 20A rated models and swap the 15A breakers for 20's. Easy as pie, unless you need to install new wire, or your breaker box is full. If it is, then you can get half-height 15A breakers to help cut down on space usage for other circuits.
        - Patrick
        "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• aud19
          Twin Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2003

My guess is the new wiring and dedicated line has more to do with the improvement than the 20amp status... though if you're going to do it, you may as well leave the headroom
          Jason

Comment

• Glen B
            Super Senior Member
            • Jul 2004

Originally posted by wildfire99
            If your wiring is already 12 gauge, then you just swap outlets for 20A rated models and swap the 15A breakers for 20's. Easy as pie, unless you need to install new wire, or your breaker box is full. If it is, then you can get half-height 15A breakers to help cut down on space usage for other circuits.

Swapping out 15A outlets for 20A offers no advantage. The only difference between the two is that the "T" slot in a 20A outlet permits true 20A equipment to be operated only a 20A circuit. Both outlets are otherwise identical across same brand and class lines (same contact thickness and current-carrying capacity). If this were not the case, the NEC would not permit 15A duplexes to be installed on 20A circuits (i.e., circuits with 12 gauge wire and 20A breaker).

Comment

• kurtholz
              • Feb 2005

they ran brand new wire and installed new hospital grade outlets with new breakers on my existing box, it was big thick wire to, had to worm it up the wall and thru the atttic and then down the wall to the breaker box with new 20 amp breakers, took all day

it works, after several days of listening, it is proven to me

kurt

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"