IS DVD-Audio & SACDs death around the corner???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UCLAman
    • Oct 2005

IS DVD-Audio & SACDs death around the corner???

Just got back from the CES show in Vegas! Happy to report that as a first timer I was impressed!!! I got a chance to visit the new DVD technology booths - HD-DVD and Blu-Ray. I was sad to hear that no manufacturer carrying either new DVD format will not carry either DVD-Audio or SACD!

WHat is going to happen to these music formats??

Are my DVD-Audio DVDs going to serve as future glass holders? I am worried.

What have others heard???? Am I way off??
  • Shane Martin
    Super Senior Member
    • Apr 2001

My local places have stopped carrying both formats. Only Dual Disc is considered "hi rez" here.

IMHO they are dead.

Comment

• locomk
      • Dec 2005

guess they were the music forms of BETA.

Comment

• wildfire99
        • Aug 2005

Format wars help everybody win!
        - Patrick
        "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• junior77blue
          • Nov 2004

Unfortunately the problem for us 'early' adoptors of SACD & DVD-A...

Same goes for my sony MD...ugh...

Comment

• mtodde
            • Jan 2005

I have 2 SACD players and 160+ SACDs...even though I've recently returned to vinyl SACD will be alive & well at my house for some time to come.

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

DVD-A may survive as the offshoot Dual Disc but as much as I've heard reports to the contrary, it's not looking good for SACD...
              Jason

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

So when the hell is HD-DVD and blue ray going to finally be avail?
                I keep hearing about it..
                B&W

Comment

• UCLAman
                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                  So when the hell is HD-DVD and blue ray going to finally be avail?
                  I keep hearing about it..
                  Relax! It will be avaiable as early as March - HD DVD. Toshiba I believe will be the first to release its player at $799. Blu Ray will be out in the second quarter (i was told at CES). The players for Blu Ray will start at about $1400!. If other have more info please chime in!

My concern was that while at CES, no rep could confirm for me that 6 channel analog music outputs (DVD-Audio and SACD) would be available on any player from any company!!! However I was told that DTS-HD will be a new improved music/audio format that can be delivered by optical or digital coax! (Blu Ray rep explained this to me) Not sure how this will be incorporated in to CDs/DVDs. WIll this be the new "6-channel format" to replace DVD-Audio/SACDs ?? Or will this be on all DVDs including movies that are on Blu Ray? We may have to wiat and see.

Comment

• gd
                    • Jan 2003

Whataya gonna do? -- if something doesn't sell, or is poorly-conceived to begin with, it cannot survive.

The accountants run everything (i.e., predictable results count the most)... if a successful long-term format is to be fashioned, it has to be accepted by the masses... and since the masses aren't very interested in hi-res music (or music in general, other than downloaded-for-free background noise), the industry needs to spoon-feed them something they will buy... that means video.

If one or the other forthcoming hi-def video formats can survive, then hi-res music stands a chance of being able to piggyback on these high-capacity discs... and even then it's likely it will be neither DVD-A nor SACD... if we want lots of hi-res music titles, the only way it will happen is with 1. cheap, easy-connection players, 2. lots of video titles... this is the simple reason VHS and DVD thrived (Beta was better quality, remember? - obviously, that's not important).

I learned my lesson with laserdisc... this time around, I bought cautiously -- the cheapest universal player... and I restricted myself to only must-have hi-res titles... not state-of-the-art, but enough to easily discern the benefits of hi-res.

There's no magic formula to spot The Next Big Thing... you can only do your homework, buy what you like, and hope many others will agree with your preferences... and that means detecting and weeding out such stop-gap gadgets as DualDisc -- poorly-conceived, rushed to market, underperforming.

Music lovers and audiophiles will increasingly have to ride on the coattails of home theatre... and/or always pay a rising premium for their hobby.
                    greg (gd to you)
                    Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                    production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• Herbonbay
                      • Jan 2005

I think one of the primary reasons that SACD and A-DVD never took off is because the high end audio shops never pushed it. Over the last few years I think I've been in every dealer with in 100 miles of Washington DC, and never once has a dealer said " You've got to hear this system playing an SACD!" never! Why? It always seemed like such a missed opportunity to sell equipment most people didn't have. When you hear a well recorded SACD ( emphasis on well) it's hard not to be impressed. If it was promoted I think it would have flown. Locally, Tower Records and Best Buy have been selling both formats priced to eliminate them from their inventory, great if your buying, but indicative of the end. BTW, the Rolling Stones re-issued CDs from ABCO, they come in a cardboard CD case, are actually stereo SACDs I bought a bunch of them from Best Buy for around 12 bucks a pop.
                      Herb

Comment

• Stockinv
                        • Jan 2005

I only have a couple of SACD's, but I don't notice that much difference between them and a well recorded DVD. I think this is the reason that this format is languishing. Anyone else share this opinion?

Comment

• aud19
                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2003

My well recorded DVD-A's sound better than my well recorded DVD-V's, can't speak for SACD though.
                          Jason

Comment

• basementjack
                            • Dec 2004

is there any place online that specializes in stocking sacd or dvd-a? I never bought one a while back, and now I'm seeing combo players for under $100, I'm thinking of getting one, but - it makes little sense to do so if the formats are being retired, and even less sense if the already producted media is unavaliable anywhere.

Comment

• Alaric
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Jan 2006

SACD availability

Try Chesky.In my experience , a "budget" SACD player will sound about 100X worse than a half-decent redbook player.My $.02.
                              Lee

Marantz PM7200-RIP
                              Marantz PM-KI Pearl
                              Schiit Modi 3
                              Marantz CD5005
                              Paradigm Studio 60 v.3

Comment

• Holland
                                • Oct 2005

Best Buy has the toshiba HD-DVD player for $499 in pre-order.

Comment

• mickster1972
                                  • Feb 2005

SACD, DVD-A, dualdisk and vinyl availability

Originally posted by basementjack
                                  is there any place online that specializes in stocking sacd or dvd-a? I never bought one a while back, and now I'm seeing combo players for under $100, I'm thinking of getting one, but - it makes little sense to do so if the formats are being retired, and even less sense if the already producted media is unavaliable anywhere.
                                  Also, try www.acousticsounds.com I've gathered most of my DVD-A and SACD titles from them.

-Sean
                                  "MMMMMMM..... Floor Pie..... Marge, where's the silver digging thing?"

-Homer

Comment

• aud19
                                    Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                    • Aug 2003

Best Buy had a pretty good selction online
                                    Jason

Comment

• Shane Martin
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Apr 2001

but I don't notice that much difference between them and a well recorded DVD. I think this is the reason that this format is languishing. Anyone else share this opinion?
                                      I think the reasons are 2 fold:

1. Hookup issues. You can't play sacd's thru digital outs. The analog out bs is tough to swallow for folks.

2. Most people are happy with mp3 as it is. This is the biggest reason. It ain't portable which is now the thing people want most.

Comment

• Gump
                                        • Sep 2005

Lack of consistency in the quality of sound re-production hurt these formats alot IMO.
                                        When these formats first came out I rushed out and bought several of my favorite artists in both SACD and DVD-A. Some of these disc's sounded great, phenomenal! Others sounded the exact same or even a little worse than a normal CD. I felt like I'd been scammed several times. It didn't take me long to become very cautious and wary about which SACD/DVD-A to sink my twenty bucks on. If a certain level of quality had been consistently maintained , the word might have spread and the consumer interest might have grown. Instead the reviews were sporadic at best. How can you build confidence in a product that way? They only have themselves to blame. They became greedy and "re-recorded from the master tapes in SACD/DVD-A!" even when they new the results on some of these "re-masters" was sub-par.
                                        Buyer Beware!!

Comment

Working...
                                        😀
                                        😂
                                        🥰
                                        😘
                                        🤢
                                        😎
                                        😞
                                        😡
                                        👍
                                        👎
                                        Searching...Please wait.
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                        Search Result for "|||"