X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Herbonbay
    • Jan 2005

Thiel center

I'm considering the purchase of a pair of Thiel cs 1.6s. The one point that has me thinking twice is the coat of the SCS3 center. The 1.6s are $2100 to $2400 a pair, but Thiel wants $1400 for the SCS3 ( a 2 way coax design ) center. It's as if Thiel is fighting the whole idea of a center and wants you to pay for your departure from their tradition. Does anyone with a pair of 1.6s also have the SCS3, or better yet, does anyone use a non Thiel center with the 1.6s?
    Herb
  • NonSense
    • Nov 2003

I don't own any of the Thiels' but in general it is good practice to keep the front three speakers in the same family. As each manufacturer has its unique sound, keeping a matched set across the front should give a better sound stage. It all depends on what you are willing to sacrifice.

I'm not surprised at the price of the center, and this isn't only with the Thiel product. The added expense is likely due to the reduced volume (only 1 is sold, not a pair, and only for HT systems) plus the added expense of magnetically shielding the enlosure.

I paid a similar price ratio for my center channel compared to the mains, and have not had any regrets. I had to weigh my decision against how long I would need to live with a poor decision. Pay now is usually less than the pay later (or twice) scenario.

Not sure if this helps, but misery does enjoy company.
    Bruce

Comment

• Matt Sprouls
      • Apr 2003

That is why I when with the Thiel 2.4's for my mains. I was concerned about the front sound stage so by going with the 2.4's I also went with the MCS1 for my center since they have the same tweeter mid-range setup. I know I spent more money by doing this but it has paid off by giving me the front stage I was looking for. Thiel makes some great stuff if you don't mind paying for it.
      Regards,
      Matt

Comment

• Herbonbay
        • Jan 2005

I agree with all of your points and will most likely end up with the SCS3, but you have got to admit that the price difference is a little hard to explain. Thiel, also promotes the SCS3s as a surrounds. In this case I'd be spending $2100 for the CS 1.6 fronts and $2800 for the surrounds. I'm also concerned by the difference in Sensitivity, The 1.6s have a sensitivity of 90dB while the SCS3s come in at 87dB. I love the 1.6s ( I'am selling my B&W Nautilus 804 with the HTM2 center to make the purchase) maybe I'll love the SCS3 just as much. Thanks Herb
        Herb

Comment

• NonSense
          • Nov 2003

The sensitivity should not be an issue. You should be able to compensate using an SPL meter and the level adjustment on the HT system.

In my opinion, using a center channel for surrounds would be a waste. The added expense of the magnetic shielding would not be required, and the balance driver configuration which is important for a good center channel, would likely add very little to a surround implementation except to the cost. What about the PCS?
          Bruce

Comment

• Herbonbay
            • Jan 2005

I couldn't agree more regarding the use of the SCS3s as surrounds, but they are the speakers that Thiel promotes for a surround system to maych the cs 1.6s. I simply mentioned the fact to illustrate how out of sync the pricing is in this series. Your best bet would be to buy 5 cs 1.6s. Herb
            Herb

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"