X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Markmm
    • Nov 2005

SVS Sub Question

Trying to decided amongst the SVS Subs. Has anyone compare the Ultra's with the Plus's. For $1200 you can get sub with 1 12" Ultra or 2 12" Plus's. Are the Ultra's that much better or would it be better to have the 2 12"'s?

Thanks!
  • PewterTA
    • Nov 2004

It depends on what you are looking for...

If you want something to give you the most "boom" at the loudest possible SPL (ie you like it really loud) then the 2 plus are the way to go.

If you don't listen to it at such loud volumes, but like the detail to your music, the Ultra is the way to go. The Ultra gives you a sense of detail that the plus can not produce. I'm talking about feeling the weight of bass string as it's plucked vs an explosion vs a landslide. The ultra will give you that sense that everything is different where the plus will to an extent...but just doesn't have the ability to it.

My best analogy is it's like driving your favorite car (say a Corvette Z06 for example or BMW or whatever), taking it onto a road coarse and pushing it to it's limit. Then after you're done, slapping on some aftermarket suspension and going around the course again... except this time you feel every little minute pit in the road, can feal each tire give and take...you just have an over all better sense of what the road feels like while driving.

Hope that makes some sense.
    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
    -Dan

Comment

• Markmm
      • Nov 2005

Thanks for the input. No, not looking to shake the neighbors, or make it sound like some high school kids car stereo thumping. Would prefer acuracy and intended sound to booming. Thought maybe 2 speakers would be more accurate at mid levels, especially if down the road my room is much bigger (hoping to move soon).

Comment

• Chris D
        Moderator Emeritus
        • Dec 2000

I have two SVS PC-Ultra subs. Love 'em. Unless you have a LARGE area that you are playing these in, like a huge theater room or living room that's open without walls to multiple other rooms, I would say go with the PC-Ultra. It will give you more fidelity, accuracy, and low-end punch.

If you're still not sure, just call or E-mail SVS. I know those guys personally, and they are happy to talk to individual customers with recommendations for their particular setup, and they do so honestly without trying to trick you into buying the most expensive thing.
        CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
        - Pleasantville

Comment

• Markmm
          • Nov 2005

Thanks Chris. Do you have tube or box ones? I'm leaning towards the boxes. Do you think there is that much difference between the Ultra and the Plus speaker? Looks like about a $300 difference.

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

Chris has the Tubes... hence the PC-Ultra, they are a lower natively tuned sub than the boxes, but there's really not much difference (except in weight!).

Either one you will be really thrilled with. If you can push the extra, the Ultra Drivers are recommended...if not... the Plus is a phenominal one as well.

Since you think in the future you might need the extra SPL from the sub due to a larger room configuration, if you don't mind the cylinder style buying an ultra now would work, then if needed you could grab another ultra down the road. That way you wouldn't be stuck with the PB12-Plus/2 and want a PB12-Ultra/2 and have to work out selling the Plus/2.

Just a thought.
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• Markmm
              • Nov 2005

Thanks! I'll shoot for a single Ultra now. And add more later. That'll give me more options for placement with two down the road. Now just to decide on the box or cylinder.

Comment

• Chris D
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Dec 2000

Sounds like very smart thinking. I think nowadays SVS is saing box vs. tube just depends on your style preference. I think cylinders are supposed to give you the most accuracy, though.
                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                - Pleasantville

Comment

• Shane Martin
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Apr 2001

they are a lower natively tuned sub than the boxes, but there's really not much difference (except in weight!).
                  They are tuned the same. The difference is aesthetics.

If you have a big room then the plus is the way to go, if you don't then the extra headroom is not needed and the ultra is the choice.

SVS will likely tell you to get the plus because its' the biggest bang for the buck they have.

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                    • May 2004

The Plus drivers are their best value at the moment. I find the above comments confusing. I've always thought that the Ultra drivers and the Plus drivers do not differ too much in performance at low to moderate levels. The only time that you can really hear the difference is at higher than normal to really loud volumes, the Ultra will play cleaner with less distortion. I've owned the PB12plus/2 before and for me, I can never see myself with anything that will play louder than that. I'd actually order the PB12plus/2 first and try it out at home, if not satisfied, exchange it for a Ultra. SVS can arrange for a shipping courier pick up for you, as the 12plus/2 weighs a good 120 lbs.

Comment

Working...
                    😀
                    😂
                    🥰
                    😘
                    🤢
                    😎
                    😞
                    😡
                    👍
                    👎
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"