X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • locomk
    • Dec 2005

speaker connection question?

I was at a high end audio store, and the salesman told me the best way of hooking up my speakers was to run one wire (either positive or negative) to the high pass and than one wire (positive or negative) to the low pass. so that the wires were at a angle, and then let the strap connecters connect highs and lows. his reasoning was that more power would pass through all the terminals and there would be better balance between highs and lows in the sound.

is this true, anybody do this or recommend something else.
    Attached Files
  • whoaru99
    • Jul 2004

Originally posted by locomk
    I was at a high end audio store, and the salesman told me the best way of hooking up my speakers was to run one wire (either positive or negative) to the high pass and than one wire (positive or negative) to the low pass. so that the wires were at a angle, and then let the strap connecters connect highs and lows. his reasoning was that more power would pass through all the terminals and there would be better balance between highs and lows in the sound.

is this true, anybody do this or recommend something else.
    IMO it's BS...

The straps are typically so short and of sufficient cross-section for the current that the terminals are effectively one with each other and no difference will result.

If any argument could be made, and that's a BIG IF, I'd say the feeds should go to the low frequency terminals since that's were the majority of power will be required, then leaving only the small current, relatively speaking, to travel through the jumpers to the high frequency section. Since the current to the high frequency section is much less, there is less voltage drop (not that it's in any way significant in this example) on the jumpers. Hence, theoretically better performance that way, IMO.

To be clear though, I believe it matters not...
    There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• locomk
      • Dec 2005

yeah i thought it was some bs when i heard it, just thought i'd post the question to see if anyone else heard of it before. i just did it on my system and seems like i lost some bass, so i'm changing it back.

Comment

• JonMarsh
        Mad Max Moderator
        • Aug 2000

This technique is called bi-wiring, and some folks swear by it- others swear at it. The thinking behind it is that it will lower the interaction between the HF spectrum and LF spectrum when you have long speaker cables. In practice, if you're using the same weight of cable, the main benefit might be lower net resistance and inductance.

Since I don't favor long speaker cables, and will re-locate power amps to avoid them, I have never used this technique myself, and generally prefer a hell for stout low impedance cable that's not too long, and uses a braided geometry for low inductance, and lots of copper for low resistance.

~Jon
        the AudioWorx
        Natalie P
        M8ta
        Modula Neo DCC
        Modula MT XE
        Modula Xtreme
        Isiris
        Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
        Minerva Monitor
        Calliope
        Ardent D

In Development...
        Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
        Obi-Wan
        Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
        Modula PWB
        Calliope CC Supreme
        Natalie P Ultra
        Natalie P Supreme
        Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
        Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• David Meek
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Braided copper bridge cables, eh Jon? :T

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• caleb
            • Aug 2004

Forgive me Jon, but this is not bi-wiring as we know it.

All in all we can this B-S.

Real bi-wiring involves TWO SETS of wires, joined at the amp and separated at the speaker.

Or have I been smoking something for the past 30 years?

Comment

• Nov 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh
              This technique is called bi-wiring, and some folks swear by it- others swear at it. The thinking behind it is that it will lower the interaction between the HF spectrum and LF spectrum when you have long speaker cables. In practice, if you're using the same weight of cable, the main benefit might be lower net resistance and inductance.

Since I don't favor long speaker cables, and will re-locate power amps to avoid them, I have never used this technique myself, and generally prefer a hell for stout low impedance cable that's not too long, and uses a braided geometry for low inductance, and lots of copper for low resistance.

~Jon
              HI,
              Yes John, caleb is right. I think you just minunderstood the post as I did initially. Gosh, there is enough snake oil surrounding cables without adding this one. The dealer should be taken to the famous Dark Tales of Cable Blasphemy Tower for 20 years of torture.

BTW, I biwire and think it is good, better. Maybe I should also be taken to the tower. :evil:

Sparky

Comment

• PewterTA
                • Nov 2004

I did find out that connecting the wires (both) to the HI terminal created a better "sounding" sound. As in I thought the Highs seemed clearer and more defined. It was enough that I changed all my speakers over to be binded to the HI posts instead of the Low.

But as far as what your saying locomk... all I could say is try it... I don't think it would really matter at all in my personal opinion.
                Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                -Dan

Comment

• NewBuyer
                  • Feb 2005

Originally posted by PewterTA
                  I did find out that connecting the wires (both) to the HI terminal created a better "sounding" sound. As in I thought the Highs seemed clearer and more defined...

PewterTA, that is interesting. Could it possibly have been just a placebo effect happening there? :scratchhead:

Comment

Working...
                  😀
                  😂
                  🥰
                  😘
                  🤢
                  😎
                  😞
                  😡
                  👍
                  👎
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"