X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Spearmint
    • Sep 2004

Crossover for 2ch operation

I am looking at getting a dedicated 2ch pre amp and still would like to use my subs, so I am looking at some form of crossover.

Now I realise there are some very expensive and good units on the market, but what do people think of using car audio crossovers, are they of good enough quality?

I have been lent a Coustic XM-1e crossover, and have inserted it between my current Rotel 1098 and Elektra Reference power amp, and also my subs.

The unit appears to work fine, I turned the volume up to full on the 1098 with no material playing and could not detect any additional noise from the speakers, and the best thing was no hum from the subs.

Does anyone else use this type of crossover in their home setup, and if so what are some of the units you use?
    Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "
  • bigburner
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

Originally posted by Spearmint
    I am looking at getting a dedicated 2ch pre amp
    What are you planning to get Richard?

Comment

• Spearmint
      • Sep 2004

At this point in time I am not sure.

Yesterday we had a bit of a GTG at Alain’s place (Alebonau) and compared several DAC’s as well as his MF A5 pre against a Rotel 1098 in bypass mode and a Benchmark DAC1 being used as a pre. BTW no comparison the A5 creamed the others with the DAC1 coming in a not so close second, and the 1098 an average third.

Elektra has supposedly got a new 2ch pre due out sometime in January, although this unit from all accounts does not have the HT bypass function, which in my case is a requirement due to only having the one room and equipment.

So at this point in time I guess I will start looking at different options although one dealer has told me the AR SP16 is a great rig, but as yet I haven’t had a listen to it.

Maybe I should also look at the Plinius pre's as well.
      Richard

"Sometimes it is easier to ask forgiveness than to get permission... "

Comment

Working...
      😀
      😂
      🥰
      😘
      🤢
      😎
      😞
      😡
      👍
      👎
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"