X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • comeup
    • Jul 2005

Analog or Digital

Assuming the dacs are equal in quality which sound do you prefer, i'm sitting here listening to Dianna Kraul in digital and it sounds great I also like analog. Don't know which I like better. I know most audiophiles like analog. I'm curious to know what most of you like.

Which do you prefer and why?
    Blake
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

I'm not sure I understand the question. You lost me with the opening half of the question. Did you mean to ask who prefers a analog source, such as tape or vinyl, and who prefers a digital source which then needs to be converted to analog through a DAC, such as a DVD or CD?
    I think that I am very much in a minority here in that this would be my preference:

Best— Vinyl, best sound, most fun
    Second— DVD, mediocre sound but high fun factor because I like to watch the performance
    Least— CD and SACD, good to very good sound. Zero fun factor but, good for background noise in the car or for listening to any music you like that isn't available on vinyl.

Comment

• Lex
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Apr 2001

Kraul may be the German prounciation of Krall. But Diana Krall is her name.

Blake, do you mean, using the digital outputs of your CD player vs the analog outputs, and then of course, using the appropriate inputs on your pre-amp? Of course, in the end, it's all analog. So, it's a matter of what DACs are used. DACs in CD player, separate DACs, or DACs in pre-amp/pre-pro. That is if the medium is CD or DVD. Of course, if the alternative medium is vinyl, then the story is different.

Doug
      Doug
      "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI Blake,
        Yeah, your first sentence threw me too. I assume you are simply asking which medium do we prefer.

For me, when I'm in mood to hassle with it, it's analog all the way. But I listen to CD's a lot and digital playback has improved emensely. In my bedroom system I only have digital music available. To listen to vinyl I fire up the main system and am carried away by the music and sound.

Actually, if you are aware of the weight of opinions held by audiophiles, and if you assume we are not all crazy, why are you asking? Just assume it to be so and go buy an analog playback system. You can confirm for yourself and I'm sure you will.

It's very gratifying to find so many hard core analog lovers here. Being a HT based forum I expected strictly digial.

Sparky

Comment

• comeup
          • Jul 2005

Lex you hit it right on talking about the rca or digital on the back of a cd or dvd player. Sorry for the confusion should have been more specific. I notice a difference in the sound between the coax and rca. The rca appeared to be quieter than the coax on a Rotel RCD 1070 cd player connected to B&K Ref 50, but the coax is louder with a brighter sound. I like both but the sound is different. Karma I don't have vinyl anymore pretty sad I gave it all away years ago. I do have a Akai reel to reel with tons of music on tape in storage maybe i'll pull it out and compare it to todays cd players. I might be surprised how good could sound.

peace
          Last edited by comeup; 27 December 2005, 02:10 Tuesday.
          Blake

Comment

Working...
          😀
          😂
          🥰
          😘
          🤢
          😎
          😞
          😡
          👍
          👎
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"