X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • comeup
    • Jul 2005

Using Your Laptop As Your Music Server

I have an Apple Ibook laptop and just bought a device called Airport Express that connects your cpu to your stereo system wirelessly and it sounds great. Apple claims that you don't lose any sound quality. Its not RF or bluetooth I don't know the techinolgy they use but it's great. Oh I forgot you can use it with a PC also. All you need is a wireless card. The Express only cost 129.00 dollars thats a steal for what it does.

Am I the only one using this device?

Does anyone else know about this?

Comments Please
    Last edited by comeup; 23 December 2005, 12:41 Friday.
    Blake
  • mjb
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Yes, I use them in my home too, they're really excellent! They are 802.11b/g wireless devices, and the music is transferred using a zero loss audio codec ('Apple lossless', transcoded on the fly) regardless of the original format. There's also both analog and optical outputs. Enjoy!
    - Mike

Main System:
    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS
    Classé SSP-800, CA-2200, CA-5100

Comment

• ekkoville
      • Aug 2004

What is the model exactly? I have found the Airport Express but I am struggling to find something to connect to the computer.

Comment

• junior77blue
        • Nov 2004

You found the right model.

You just need any wireless router connected to your PC. Preferably wireless G technology.

Netgear, linksys, & D-link are among the top brands for such devices. Any local computer store or electronics store will carry these, i.e. BestBuy or Circuit City.

Apple also makes one, but it's pricey ($200) and really 'made-for-macs'. It's called Airport Extreme.

Comment

• comeup
          • Jul 2005

If you have a wireless card on your computer and the airport express no other routers are needed. Download itunes from apple and you are on your way. Setup is a little tricky it took a while to get it set up on my wifes pc. Don't forget to buy a Y connector for connecting the airport express to the back of your receiver or preamp. Talk to an (Apple Rep). The Y connector is RCA left & right on one end and a single phono on the other end. Go to Apples website/accessories.

Go to any Comp USA or Apple Store the price is the same everywhere, also Apples customer service is top notch.
          Blake

Comment

• mjb
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Just to concur with Blake, the Airport express device is also a firewall/router/dhcp server/printer server/etc/etc, so you do not need an additional router, just a wireless card for the PC - or, it can join an exisitng wireless network. The audio-out socket is also optical out, but optical needs a 3.5mm-Toslink adapter.
            - Mike

Main System:
            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• ekkoville
              • Aug 2004

Thanks, confusion is now gone! Sounds like a great piece. Has anyone here compared the two different cables for there own sake. I like the sound of optical vs. RCA and let my Rotel piece do the DAC work.

Comment

• junior77blue
                • Nov 2004

I haven't compared, but will try them out now. I forgot there was an optical out on the airport express.

Comment

• mjb
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

Originally posted by ekkoville
                  Has anyone here compared the two different cables for there own sake. I like the sound of optical vs. RCA and let my Rotel piece do the DAC work.
                  I haven't done any comparison tests, but like you I prefer (and use) optical utilising the 1098's DAC's. The sound is excellent - and in theory bit for bit identical to digital from any other source (assuming Apple Lossless all the way).
                  - Mike

Main System:
                  B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• comeup
                    • Jul 2005

I haven't used the optical yet compared to rca, haven't gave it much thought because the dacs in the Apple laptop sound so good. Humm i'm pretty sure the dacs in the B&K are much better thanks for bringing it up guys I will be trying it out real soon. I'll post results when I Compare. Hopefully more people will read this thread its such a nice feature to have I have over two thousand songs on computer......

peace
                    Blake

Comment

• Snap
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Feb 2005

wow that is a TON of music!

WOW!
                      The Bitterness of poor quality last longer than the joy of low prices.

Comment

• wildfire99
                        • Aug 2005

Is it? I have 1900 on mine, and I haven't ripped about half my collection. Of course, a ton of those (~700) are thanks to Napster (subscription... technically not "mine" but I can have tons of stuff in rotation). The sad part is that even with all those songs I still recognize most of them by memory as soon as they start. I need more tunes.

I guess that does equate to 150 or so CDs... but they don't take up much rack space for me compared to DVD's (500+). For 15 years of collecting that's not so bad.

Since my computer is my testbed for audio also I already have wires snaked to it, and I use coax digital out when I want to just play tunes.
                        - Patrick
                        "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• Crimson
                          Moderator Emeritus
                          • Aug 2000

You may also want to look at the Slim Devices Squeezebox and the Roku Soundbridge. I use a few Airport Express base stations and Squeezeboxes at home, all strictly for music. Both have their pros and cons in terms of capabilities etc., but are identical in sound feeding external dacs. I've never used the Soundbridge.
                          Q.

Comment

• ekkoville
                            • Aug 2004

You know, my thought was to use the optical out. But now i am thinking of the rca's in favor of optical because I can hook it to Zone 2 on my pre and it won't allow a digital feed out of zone two, just analog.

Comment

• junior77blue
                              • Nov 2004

Could you use both the analog and digital 'input'? Probably more headache than its worth.

Comment

• ekkoville
                                • Aug 2004

Also, the optical vs. coax debate is still going on in another thread, but here's a cable that may make you think about coax for the Express piece, http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/R...if.html#rcabnc

Comment

• comeup
                                  • Jul 2005

Originally posted by junior77blue
                                  Could you use both the analog and digital 'input'? Probably more headache than its worth.

I don't think so, I believe the toslink is an adapter connecting to the rca, but I could be wrong I went to buy one yesterday and they were out. I think thats what the saleman said.

peace
                                  Blake

Comment

• PewterTA
                                    • Nov 2004

I almost picked up the Apple Airport Express, but then as I feared, I didn't want the airport express's DACs being used since there was no optical out (optical out takes the analog from the airport express and converts it to an optical signal... Definitely not my liking... I'm still working on what I want to use, but for now I just use the optical cable out to 1098. ...and hopefully it's not shocking that I have about 28,000 songs on my PC, more if I had more storage as they are backed up to tape.
                                    Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                                    -Dan

Comment

• Crimson
                                      Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2000

but then as I feared, I didn't want the airport express's DACs being used since there was no optical out (optical out takes the analog from the airport express and converts it to an optical signal
                                      Not really. If you use the AEx's digital out, you are bypassing the units dacs. Utlilizing the AEx's optical out (via a Toslink mini) does not take the units analog out and convert it to digital. Where did you hear this?

Not to belabor the point, but the AEx can use either a standard 1/8th" stereo to dual RCA Y cable (available at any Rat Shack) for analog outs, or a proprietary (read Monster) mini-Toslink to Toslink cable that retains the signal in the digital domain.
                                      Q.

Comment

• mjb
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Mar 2005

Pewter, if you rip using Apple Lossless, and use AEx optical out (yes, it has optical out as Crimson says), there is no loss - its loss less all the way - thats the whole point. You only use the AEx's DACs if you use it's RCA output. Give the unit a try, you'll be amazed!
                                        - Mike

Main System:
                                        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• ekkoville
                                          • Aug 2004

Do you think the mini to digital coax cable I linked above would work? Digital out to a mini seems like the signal would be the same regardless of cable type.

Comment

• mjb
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • Mar 2005

Do you think the mini to digital coax cable I linked above would work? Digital out to a mini seems like the signal would be the same regardless of cable type.
                                            Nope!

The AEx uses a dual purpose 3.5mm jack - its both an analogue and a digital fibre output in the same hole. To use the optical part, you need a 3.5mm to Toslink adapter or a purpose cable. Google throws up loads to choose from.

- Mike

Main System:
                                            B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• JonMarsh
                                              Mad Max Moderator
                                              • Aug 2000

RAMelectronics has a lot of these kinds of specialty cables that are hard to find elsewhere. It's funny that Apple uses this type of dual functionality connector on their PowerBooks (got a PB17 myself), but you usually can't walk into an Apple store and buy one.

This page can help you out.http://www.ramelectronics.net/html/a...nk_cables.html

I've been pondering the best route to go for a dedicated music server, and was considering the Mini and external FireWire HD except it didn't have digital out without going to something like a Voyetra USB to Toslink converter. Well, January may solve that with some new product announcements.

~Jon
                                              the AudioWorx
                                              Natalie P
                                              M8ta
                                              Modula Neo DCC
                                              Modula MT XE
                                              Modula Xtreme
                                              Isiris
                                              Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                                              Minerva Monitor
                                              Calliope
                                              Ardent D

In Development...
                                              Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
                                              Obi-Wan
                                              Saint-Saëns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
                                              Modula PWB
                                              Calliope CC Supreme
                                              Natalie P Ultra
                                              Natalie P Supreme
                                              Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
                                              Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• mjb
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2005

Found this while surfing: Airport Express Dissected!
                                                It appears the design uses Burr-Brown PCM2705 DAC's fed by an internal ethernet to USB bridge.
                                                - Mike

Main System:
                                                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• ekkoville
                                                  • Aug 2004

I picked up the Airport Express this week and believe it or not it won't set up. The light on the Express just blinks amber continuously. The software when using the Assistant says error using wireless device. I am running a PC and an existing wireless network with cable internet. Any suggestions? Also, do I need a Base Station for this, I didn't think so.

Comment

• mjb
                                                    Super Senior Member
                                                    • Mar 2005

Erik, I can't help you specifically because I'm a Mac person - but, you need to run the Airport Admin Utility that probably came on the CD and join your new AEx to your existing wireless network, and enable AirTunes (you will have to temporarily attach to the AEx in order to set it up - depending on your wireless software, you'll find "Apple Network xyz" in a survey or scan). The flashing amber light means its not setup, and/or there's no broad-band attached. You don't need a base station, just the right software/setup and a manual!
                                                    - Mike

Main System:
                                                    B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• ekkoville
                                                      • Aug 2004

By "temporarily attach" you mean with a RJ-45 cable?

Comment

• mjb
                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                        • Mar 2005

nope, wirelessly - normally your PC is 'attached' to your existing wireless network. You need to 'attach' to the new AEx network in order to set it up. How you do this depends on your windows software, but if you do a wireless survey or scan, with the AEx on, you should see it as an available network - attach, and run the setup Admin Util. You'll need to set up the AEx to 'attach' to your existing wireless network too. Afterwards, you'll 're-attach' to your normal wireless network and life will continue as before, except that iTunes will show the AEx available. Its really not too complicated, just hard to write!
                                                        - Mike

Main System:
                                                        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• comeup
                                                          • Jul 2005

Erik I'm a mac user also, but my wife has a pc and it took me two days to get it going. Be sure to join existing network and name your Airport Express example music server, then you must open itunes, then on the lower right hand corner of the window you will see something that says computer click it and pick what ever you named your Express and it should work.

P.S. Remember Apple has great customer service call if you have too, but I think you will figure it out.
                                                          Blake

Comment

• martino
                                                            • Aug 2004

may I jump in here?

I to have been thinking of the AEx..I run a PC and use Musicmatch (WAV) instead of itunes (AAC)..will the AEx still work foe me or does one have to use itunes?
                                                            I also run a Rotel 1098. The optical connect sounds great.
                                                            Thanks for the great info guys..

Martino

Comment

• ekkoville
                                                              • Aug 2004

I don't think anything other than iTunes will work. But I got music going and the icon in iTunes but I can't seem to release the AX network and reconnect to my wireless network. When I do it manualy, the AX won't stream music. Still have blinking amber light though, very disturbing. I read on a an apple forum some people have plugged the AX into the router directly during setup.
                                                              ____________________
                                                              Erik
                                                              Just another case of the man trying to keep us down! :B

Comment

• mjb
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Mar 2005

I don't think anything other than iTunes will work. But I got music going and the icon in iTunes but I can't seem to release the AX network and reconnect to my wireless network. When I do it manualy, the AX won't stream music. Still have blinking amber light though, very disturbing. I read on a an apple forum some people have plugged the AX into the router directly during setup.
                                                                I'm glad you got some music out of it!!
                                                                The AirTunes part only works with iTunes (kinda makes sence).
                                                                The flashing amber light means the device does not have an IP address - depending on your configuration this might not be 'disturbing'.
                                                                Here's Apples' Airport Support site.
                                                                - Mike

Main System:
                                                                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• Crimson
                                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                                  • Aug 2000

The most reliable way to set up an AEx on an exisitng wifi network running windows is by using the Setup Assistant and a wired ethernet connection to the AEx from a PC/laptop that is wirelessly connected to your existing network. Once the unit has been set up, you can disconnect the ethernet connection and it will work wirelessly. Wiring the unit to a router for setup can be problematic.
                                                                  Q.

Comment

• ekkoville
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2004

Maybe a dumb question, but I don't use encryption here at the house. But the AX upon setup wants a password, I enter one I create, and it says "cannot read from base station....bad param error (-4)". I am using my wireless network and a ethernet cable from the pc to the AX for setup. ?????
                                                                    ____________________
                                                                    Erik

Comment

• ekkoville
                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                      • Aug 2004

It's working!! Almost hucked this thing right in the circular file. But I wasn't going to quit. Thanks for the input, it really helped.
                                                                      ____________________
                                                                      Erik

Comment

• mjb
                                                                        Super Senior Member
                                                                        • Mar 2005

It's working!! Almost hucked this thing right in the circular file. But I wasn't going to quit. Thanks for the input, it really helped.
                                                                        :T Excellent! Fantastic. I knew it wouldn't beat you!
                                                                        - Mike

Main System:
                                                                        B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• ekkoville
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Aug 2004

I also have a pc upstairs with iTunes on it and it also sees the AX and streams to it. Great little piece it is.
                                                                          ____________________
                                                                          Erik

Comment

• comeup
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Jul 2005
                                                                            • 356

Glad you got it Erik

It beats the heck out of buying musiccast from Yamaha for 2100$. How do you like the sound?
                                                                            Blake

Comment

• ekkoville
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Aug 2004
                                                                              • 392

#39
                                                                              I think the sound is great. Much better than I thought. I have several tracks ecoded at 192Kb and they sound awsome, even on my Rotel pre and main sytstem. If only I could figure out how to convert or use music I buy from iTunes in am mp3 format. My portable player dosen't recognize the AAC format.
                                                                              ____________________
                                                                              Erik

Comment

• mjb
                                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                                • Mar 2005
                                                                                • 1483

#40
                                                                                If only I could figure out how to convert or use music I buy from iTunes in am mp3 format. My portable player dosen't recognize the AAC format.
                                                                                To circumvent the DRM, its possible to burn protected AAC files as a regular audio CD and then re-rip to MP3 - there will be some quality loss doing this. Its a DRM issue, imposed by the record companies, not an AAC limitation. Apple at least lets you burn your purchased music as an audio CD. Unprotected AAC files can be directly converted from the Advanced menu -> convert selected to... having selected MP3 in the preferences/importing options.
                                                                                - Mike

Main System:
                                                                                B&W 802D, HTM2D, SCMS

Comment

• ekkoville
                                                                                  Senior Member
                                                                                  • Aug 2004
                                                                                  • 392

#41
                                                                                  Just an update regarding the Airport Express, new updated iTunes sofware and a firmware update for the Airport Express gives you the ability to play music from more than one Express and your computer simultaneously. It works great and seems to be a big step for an affordable wireless server system.
                                                                                  ____________________
                                                                                  Erik

Comment

Working...
                                                                                  😀
                                                                                  😂
                                                                                  🥰
                                                                                  😘
                                                                                  🤢
                                                                                  😎
                                                                                  😞
                                                                                  😡
                                                                                  👍
                                                                                  👎
                                                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                  Search Result for "|||"