A good "stereo" sub for my 2 channel Rotel???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • thyname
    • Jan 2005

A good "stereo" sub for my 2 channel Rotel???

Hi there;

I have a stereo system with Rotel RB-1080 RC-1070 RCD-1072 and Axiom M60 floorstanding speakers. Quite happy with what I have, and don' seem to decide yet on building a HT. However, I am thinking of doing it one at a time, starting with a sub. I am a "stereo guy" with more than 400 redbook CDs, and I listen to music around 80% as compared to 20% HT (for now through my Sony HTIB, sorry!).

I have read great reviews for this HSU VTF 3. As I don't have a sub, and plan to get one soon in the future, first in a 2.1 stereo setup, and then later in a Home theater, I am pretty much sold on this one. Is there something else out there I should consider? Again, it is very important for the sub to be a "musical" one, if this is the right word, and I am prepared to pay no more than for the HSU VTF 3. My room is quite large (22X20X8) but planning to move soon, so the size of room is not very important for now. Any advice would be really appreciated!
  • IntegrateMe
    • May 2004

Are you concerned about the size of the sub?

Comment

• thyname
      • Jan 2005

Not really. Not a monster though.

Comment

• pramod
        • Dec 2005

I have "REL STARTA 5" SUB and it is making my music rock.

Comment

• RobP
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Nov 2004

I just purchased a Martin Logan Descent, it has two inputs one for LFE and the other for 2 channel, Plenty of highly controlled output., If you can find a dealer, give it a try.
          Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• bigburner
            Super Senior Member
            • May 2005

I'm happy with the musical qualities of my B&W ASW750 but I think that my friend's REL STORM 5 is more musical because it's faster and more precise. It ain't no monster either.

Comment

• miner
              • Mar 2005

I recently purchased a B&W ASW800 (discontinued) - am happy with it. I was also looking at Martin-Logan subs. If I was not able to find my B&W the M-L would have been my choice.

Comment

• thyname
                • Jan 2005

Thank you for the advice guys. I will check these out. I am surprised nobody has mentioned SVS though.

Please note that my budget for this sub is around USD 800.

Comment

• htsteve
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Sep 2004

Martin Logan Grotto

Thyname,

For your price range, I would consider a Martin Logan Grotto. The new price is a bit higher than your stated budget, at about $1000 retail. You should be able to get a bit off froma dealer or consider a used Grotto. I have the bigger brother (Depth) in my system. I've heard the Grotto. It is quite musical, and would be a fine start to a home theater. It also has a 25 Hz control that allows you to tailor the sub to your specific room.

One feature to consider in the sub is an LFE out. This allows you to add additional subs in the future and not need additional sub preouts or splitting your interconnects.

Comment

• grit
                    • Jan 2005

Lemme just chime in and say that I've been surprised to find that I'd prefer to have NO sub with my music. The largest reason for this is an inability to send the signal to the sub in analog bypass mode. On top of that, my speakers (B&W 703's) do (IMO) an excellent job without needing a sub. You may consider gearing your sub to your home theater needs and expecting less out of it for music.

Just a thought from one person's experience. Your mileage may vary.

Comment

• gd
                      • Jan 2003

Originally posted by thyname
                      I am surprised nobody has mentioned SVS
                      OK, here ya go...

I've got the 25-31 PCi cylinder in my music-first HT, and it performs like a champ for music and movies.

I've also auditioned Hsu subs, and find them and SVS to be fairly equivalent.

If you can find your way to a REL to audition, you might find a small measure of extra 'speed' and articulation for music... but only the biggest of them deliver the weight and thunder that SVS / Hsu do for considerably less money.

This is where your interpretation of 'bass' and 'low-end' come into play... as with any other speaker, audition as much as you can... if you can't do that, then your original impulse to go with Hsu should work out fine.
                      greg (gd to you)
                      Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                      production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• comeup
                        • Jul 2005

Thyname I have the REL Q201E that rocks with music and is reaslly good with movies tight and clean for about 1200 bucks I know you only want to spend eight ,but it normally cost 1600 at Magnolia Hi Fi. I auditioned the B&W ASW675 and it kicked butt with a 500 watt D AMP for your price of 800 bucs and its a small sub. I believe this one is on sell til the end of the year at any B&W dealer it normally cost a G. Had a hard time deciding on which one to get.

peace
                        Blake

Comment

• bzrk
                          • Oct 2005

if you want a sub REL is the way to go...

i have a strom 5
                          Gr. Sebastian

Comment

• PewterTA
                            • Nov 2004

Most people won't suggest SVS for a mainly music system because all their subs are ported and aren't "as fast" as a sealed enclosure type sub...

Not saying SVS is bad by any means with music, they are just better suited for HT usage. 25-31 PC-Plus subwoofer is pretty good with musical passages and would be your best choice for music & movie use from SVS.

However, the REL is a much better choice if you are going to really only use it for music.
                            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
                            -Dan

Comment

• comeup
                              • Jul 2005

I heard the REL Q150E is a nice little sub for $800 now at MAG HIFI all kinds of great reviews all over the place, although a little small for home theatre but great for music.

G Luck
                              Blake

Comment

• thyname
                                • Jan 2005

I checked Rel out (of course online for now). They seem to have great review for a musical sub. I even called and chatted with USA distributor. However they seem to be out of my price range. Strata is discontinued, and replaced with Britannica series which starts at close to USD 2K.

Totally agree regarding SVSs. It is true I like a good "musical" sub for my current stereo system, but also future-proof for my future HT. Probably too much to ask for.

Comment

• IntegrateMe
                                  • May 2004

Check out the Velodyne SPL-800R. While the REL subs are very musical they are also rather pricey for your budget. I doubt you will find a better sub than the SPL-800R for that price. It's sealed too!

Comment

• thyname
                                    • Jan 2005

I never owned a sub (exluding the one that comes with my HTIB, and the one with my PC, and the one with my Sharper Image mini). But I have read that sealed subs are suitable for music. Is that true?

Comment

• bigburner
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • May 2005

I am surprised nobody has mentioned SVS though.
                                      Mentioning SVS can get a thread closed down. http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=17219

Comment

• Mark_C.
                                        • Jan 2003

REL really is the best way to go for two-channel systems. I'm using a Storm III with my Nautilus 804s. Used REL subs like the Storm III can be found for about $1,000 at audiogon.

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
                                          • May 2004

I am surprised that this thread is not closed already. Considering that it is the Rotel forum and other brands of equipment are being mentioned.

I think that HTG feels threatened by SVS's affiliation with another well known and respected internet-only retailer.
                                          Steel

Comment

• sprout
                                            • Jun 2005

Originally posted by LikeCoiledSteel
                                            I am surprised that this thread is not closed already. Considering that it is the Rotel forum and other brands of equipment are being mentioned.

I think that HTG feels threatened by SVS's affiliation with another well known and respected internet-only retailer.
                                            Steel
                                            Surely no problem :E

He is partnering it with all Rotel gear :T :T :T :B

I have had a few subs and my conclusion is this:

I prefer the very well made smaller (driver) models as they give you the speed required.

For years with stereo only I used a REL Q100E, a sub I still highly rate (and own)

However, i bought a Velodyne DD10.
                                            It was excellent, and helped me so much with the setup and room acoustics learning curve.

I have since sold it and now use a REL Stadium III.
                                            This I love, but i would recommend anyone who is serious about a sub make use of a feedback destroyer/microphone and PC.

Cheers

sprout

Comment

• comeup
                                              • Jul 2005

I would not go with anything that has a port hole in it, even at low volumes they sound boomy, at least all the ones i've had i'm pretty sure there are exceptions. If you have an small room you would be suprised how good a closed quality small sub would sound with HT.

G luck searching
                                              Blake

Comment

• thyname
                                                • Jan 2005

I decided to hold off ordering a HSU for now. I spoke with a Magnolia guy over the phone. Unfortunately Best Buys close to me don't hava a Magnolia HT room just yet. He told me that they have REL Q150 in stock in sale for $899 instead of msrp 1099 (is that a good price??), as well as a Martin Logan Grotto for $999. I am going there for an audition soon these days, and probably buy it before Xmas if I like any. Q150 is small I believe but sealed.

My plans for the future (2-3 years) are that I have a separate stereo and HT. That means that I can have a nice "stereo" sub now, use it later with my home theater (in less than one year) and then buy a "monster, HT" sub for my HT and use this one in my second system, stereo only. And as for the Rotel, I love mine and I will get a Rotel gear in the future, no doubt about. Unless I become suddenly very rich and can afford something wild :-)

Comment

• Orange Peel
                                                  • Nov 2004

Originally posted by comeup
                                                  I would not go with anything that has a port hole in it, even at low volumes they sound boomy, at least all the ones i've had i'm pretty sure there are exceptions. If you have an small room you would be suprised how good a closed quality small sub would sound with HT.

G luck searching
                                                  Yep, there are exceptions, you should listen to them.
                                                  Scott Goldsmith

Comment

• howburger
                                                    • Jul 2005

Grit, check this thread

Grit:

I had the same concern about no sub in bypass mode. I'm building a pair of dipole subs and am going to use this route to incorporate my subs.

**Link removed**

Harold :T
                                                    Because I'm the man in black.........

Comment

• Kevin D
                                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                                      • Oct 2002

Discussing different subs is no problem and we don't have an issue with SVS. It is true that this isn't a Rotel specific question so I'm moving it to one of the audio forums. I'm pretty sure that the other post got locked because it 'got out of hand' before it got moved.

Harold, I also removed your link. We would appreciate not linking to other forum sites.

Thanks,

Kevin D.

Comment

• ekkoville
                                                        • Aug 2004

I think the Rel is a great option under a grand. I have a ten year old Strata and it is the best music only sub I have listened too. Having said that you should still listen to whatever you can, but every sub I seem to audition is just too boomy, almost smothered low end compared to the Rel. My .02 only.

Comment

• Mukaudio
                                                          • Oct 2005

I would agree with Grit. If you're all about Redbook (which is 2.0 channel), you're probably using stereo bypass mode, which means no subwoofer output.

I had Paradigm Studio 20s coupled with a Paradigm Seismic 10 and I ended up returning them in favor of two Paradigm Studio 100s because I anticipate buying a nice cd player (along the lines of a Linn Genki) in the near future and I want to bypass the DACs in my Marantz AV-Receiver.

So if lower extension in 2 channel is what you're after, I would recommend looking at upgrading your front speakers, not adding a "musical" sub.

Mark.
                                                          Mark

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
                                                            • May 2004

Kevin,
                                                            Lex said yesterday that he did have a problem with SVS. The post from yesterday was a newcomer asking about subs. How is this thread different?
                                                            Nothing got "out of hand", only a question was asked.
                                                            Steel

Comment

• thyname
                                                              • Jan 2005

REL Q150E it is!! I had the chance to go to Magnolia at BB tonight (thank God for holidays they keep it open late these days). I was surprised they were really good there, did not expect this from BB affiliate. Dedicated audio room, a decent selection of speakers and electronics. They even let me listen to different combinations for one hour, having the chance to switch things myself (nice touch-on screen selector). Anyway, to make long story short, I liked REL and got if for USD 899. I felt that it was "faster", more accurate and "tighter" than Martin-Logan's Grotto, even though the latter being deeper but kinda boomy. It also has a cool high-pass function, different than other subs' high-level pass. It makes sure than the sub gets same signal at the amplifier binding posts as the speakers, by hooking a high-level cord right there, perfect for stereo use (or at least so I think).

I hooked it up this midnight, but then I woke up my wife and she was screaming to me about waking up neighbors or something... anyway.... I have to wait until tomorrow after work to "play" with it. Any recommendations on setup from REL users would be really appreciated!

Thank you guys for all the advice and input in this thread, which amazingly came up strong and very very informative. I am so impressed and thankfull.

Comment

• ekkoville
                                                                • Aug 2004

thyname, I think you made a great choice. My Rel, like most, is set up with the high-pass speakon cable right at the amp also. So, when I us analog bypass mode on the pre, the sub gets all the signal and the crossover filters unwanted freqs.
                                                                ____________________
                                                                Erik
                                                                Just another case of the man trying to keep us down! :B

Comment

• thyname
                                                                  • Jan 2005

That is what I did last night - high pass speakon cable connection to my Rotel RB-1080 amp binding posts where speaker wires go. I have a 2 channel preamp, RC-1070 and I always leave it on "0" dial. Going through the instruction booklet briefly last night was a little complicated in terms of tunning it up. I need to do a lot of tests and try different placements I guess.

Comment

• rick c
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Aug 2004

REL Q150E it is!! I had the chance to go to Magnolia at BB tonight (thank God for holidays they keep it open late these days). I was surprised they were really good there, did not expect this from BB affiliate. Dedicated audio room, a decent selection of speakers and electronics. They even let me listen to different combinations for one hour, having the chance to switch things myself (nice touch-on screen selector). Anyway, to make long story short, I liked REL and got if for USD 899. I felt that it was "faster", more accurate and "tighter" than Martin-Logan's Grotto, even though the latter being deeper but kinda boomy. It also has a cool high-pass function, different than other subs' high-level pass. It makes sure than the sub gets same signal at the amplifier binding posts as the speakers, by hooking a high-level cord right there, perfect for stereo use (or at least so I think).

I hooked it up this midnight, but then I woke up my wife and she was screaming to me about waking up neighbors or something... anyway.... I have to wait until tomorrow after work to "play" with it. Any recommendations on setup from REL users would be really appreciated!

Thank you guys for all the advice and input in this thread, which amazingly came up strong and very very informative. I am so impressed and thankfull.
                                                                    FWIW not to second guess you but if the Grotto sounded boomy i can gaurantee you they did not have it setup properly, thats what the 25hz control is for.Regardless congrats.

Comment

Working...
                                                                    😀
                                                                    😂
                                                                    🥰
                                                                    😘
                                                                    🤢
                                                                    😎
                                                                    😞
                                                                    😡
                                                                    👍
                                                                    👎
                                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                    Search Result for "|||"