Paradigm ADP 470's or Ref 20's for surrounds?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MattCXII
    • Feb 2004

Paradigm ADP 470's or Ref 20's for surrounds?

Hey,

Im debating between the two above mentioned speakers for my surrounds but Im not sure which speaker will better suit my needs. I plan on listening to multi channel music and HT... of course.

Is one better or worse for multi-channel music? I have heard that there are problems with running Dipoles for your surrounds when you want to listen to 5.1 music.

i appreciate all your responses.

Matt
  • mtodde
    • Jan 2005

I'm using Studio 20s for my surrounds and really like them. They are great for music and movies. I did listening test with both the ADP and the 20 and preferred the 20s for music by a wide margin. They also fit my room better than a wall mount speaker would.

Comment

• ht_addict
      • Dec 2002

Originally posted by mtodde
      I'm using Studio 20s for my surrounds and really like them. They are great for music and movies. I did listening test with both the ADP and the 20 and preferred the 20s for music by a wide margin. They also fit my room better than a wall mount speaker would.
      My preference is exact opposite of mtodde. I had the 20's for rears but due to the room layout going with the ADP's made everything much better. My seating area is up against a wall so the 20's sat on stands to the sides directed in. With the ADP's I have them mounted on the wall above my head. The surround experience is that much better. To each his own.

Comment

• MattCXII
        • Feb 2004

I appreciate your comments but since I cannot hear these speakers I need to go largely on comments from you fine folks. Anymore comments that can push me to either "speaker team" would be much appreciated.

My room is going to be 10.5 feet wide if that helps out a bit. Im a little confused as to placement as well. Should the surrounds go right beside my couch or behind it?

Comment

• wildfire99
          • Aug 2005

I felt the ADP's were better for music (where you really should only have diffuse ambiance back there), whereas the monitors were far and above preferred for movies (where the rear channels will actually convey directional information).

If I could only have one, I'd take the 20's easily. Your room is kind of small, so you'd want to mount them above the listener's heads pointing towards the ceiling I think, which kind of negates a bit of that directional effect. Your dealer should be able to set up a demo between the two.
          - Patrick
          "But it's more fun when it doesn't make sense!"

Comment

• ht_addict
            • Dec 2002

Originally posted by MattCXII
            I appreciate your comments but since I cannot hear these speakers I need to go largely on comments from you fine folks. Anymore comments that can push me to either "speaker team" would be much appreciated.

My room is going to be 10.5 feet wide if that helps out a bit. Im a little confused as to placement as well. Should the surrounds go right beside my couch or behind it?
            If your using the 20's you'll want them behind the couch. Thats the problem I ran into since my seating area was right next to the back wall. I had to have my 20's on stands at the sides pointing in. Now if I was watching a movie by myself it was okay but for those seated on the outer edges, it was a problem. With the ADP's I made up some platforms that I mounted onthe wall above the seating area and the surround sound is that much better.

Comment

• Leef DaLucky
              • May 2003

I put the 20's in as well.
              I tried out the ADP's but didn't really like the timber matching.
              Mine are toed-in, on the back wall (like Addict's old setup).
              I'll eventually have a dedicated room that the couch will be away from the back wall, and i can properly mount them.
              They're both fine, but i'd (personally) lean towards the 20's more for HT and multichannel music.
              Yes, it's true that when you have a lot of people over someone sitting right beside it might have a problem with it. But, hey, it's your system. YOU listen to it everyday and have gatherings maybe once/month? Screw the guests

cheers,
              mikey
              "...Because Good is Dumb...!"
              -Dark Helmet

Comment

Working...
              😀
              😂
              🥰
              😘
              🤢
              😎
              😞
              😡
              👍
              👎
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"