X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RobP
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Older Classe or New Rotel Amps?

I have been looking around at a couple of multi-channel amplifers for my HT that also doubles as my 2 Channel area. With the budget that I set for myself, I can either purchase a new Rotel RMB1095 or a pre-owned older model Classe unit.
    Thinking of this I called my dealer this evening who told me that the older Classe stuff is really not that great, and went on telling me that the newer line which he sells is wonderful. I took this comment with a grain of salt knowing that he wants to sell me a new amp. But it somehow got me second guessing myself on the older Classe amps.

So, with all of this, my question is which is the better value for my dollar? The New Rotel or Lets say a Pre-owned Classe CAV-180?
    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"
  • dyazdani
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Oct 2005

I hate it when people do that - a likely story from the dealer's POV. I guess you have to gauge how well you know the guy. I've got a good relationship with a few that I know give me a honest evaluation.

It would be hard for me to accept that a piece of Classe gear "is really not that great" without hearing it for myself. You might think of buying a CAV series and A/B with the Rotel. Usually, you can sell a nice amp like that for about what you paid.

I'm not knocking the 1095, a friend of mine has it with some 803S and it's pretty nice.
    Danish

Comment

• GregLett
      • May 2005

Sounds like he just want's to sell you a new amp. I would bet you would be happy with either, the only question is how much you want to spend. I have a
      15 year old Rotel that I'm quite happy with, sound wise. I only want to replace
      it for looks. Want to take my setup all silver :B
      Greg

Comment

• RobP
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Well, I currently have a Rotel RSX1065 receiver that is 120 watts x2, or 100w x 5 and it does sound really nice, but I would like a little more power and control in the bottom end. I am sure that the 1095 would suffice, but at a price of 2K I think that I also add a few $$ and get a CAV180 and get a better sounding amp.
        :T
        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• GregLett
          • May 2005

:T works for me looks like you just missed one on Audiogon.
          Greg

Comment

• RobP
            Ultra Senior Member
            • Nov 2004

Yeah, that was a little more than I wanted to go, They had a CAV500 which is 250w a channel sell for 3500, now that would be awsome!!
            Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

Working...
            😀
            😂
            🥰
            😘
            🤢
            😎
            😞
            😡
            👍
            👎
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"