Clear All
  • Masters2010
    • Nov 2005

Help me find a CD player

I'm looking to get a cd player to go along with my current set up:
    A pair of Spendor Ls3/5a speakers
    Meitner Audio STR-50 Amp
    Lazarus Cascade Basic Preamp

I would really prefer to buy something new, though I am open to buying used. I'm really just looking for something that would go along well with this set up, and I don't really know how much I could get a decent cd player for. As a guideline, I'd look from 500-750 though that is only a guideline and would look at others as well. Thank you
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

The Rotel 1072 seems to be quite popular for around that price
    Jason

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

I haven't shopped for CD players in a while, but in that price range there are a few choices I've seen around.
      • Various Rotel Models: 1072 and some of the slightly older ones like 971
      • Rega Planet (original and 2000)
      • CAL: CL-15
      • Music Hall CD25
      • Arcam (various)
      • Audio Refinement Complete

As always, there are a lot of choices out there. I would think you'd be happy with most of them in this price range. I've heard the Arcam, Rega, CAL, and the older Rotel models and all were good quality.
      Danish

Comment

• Masters2010
        • Nov 2005

I'm thinking about the 1072 because of all the good reviews it has recieved. There is a retailer here in Rhode Island that my dad made his purchases from, so I'll see what sort of price he can get me. Are there good retailers online for buying these kind of things? The only one I know of, audioadvisor, doesn't have it. Also, whereabouts can you find these used?

Comment

• gd
          • Jan 2003

There are no authorized online retailers for Rotel.

Your local authorized retailer should be able to give you 10% off MSRP. though that's not necessarily guaranteed.

Used 1072's show up often on http://cgi.audiogon.com/ ... it's a fairly safe place to make transactions, but do your homework, as always.
          greg (gd to you)
          Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
          production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• gianni
            • Nov 2002

The 1072 is a solid machine for the money. I really like mine. At that price point, the Arcam CD73 is also worth an audition.

Comment

• krek
              • Jun 2005

Cambridge audio 640C version 2 (contains 2 Wolfson WM8740 24-bit/192kHz DACs instead of 1). Haven't heard it yet, but version 1 got a lot of good reviews.

Comment

• GregLett
                • May 2005

The 1072 is great, but I think it's at it's best when paired with a Rotel preamp.
                When I changed my preamp the 1072 didn't fit my system anymore, I had to sell it.
                Greg

Comment

• audiofan
                  • May 2004

GregLett, which rotel pre-amp did you have before? I currentl have rc-1070 and rcd-1072. I will upgrade pre-amp/amp to either integrated amp Plinius 9200 or Musical Fidelity A5 soon.

Comment

• GregLett
                    • May 2005

Audiofan
                    I had the RC-1090 with a Rega Planet 2000. I then auditioned the 1072, and switched to that. The Rotel combo was great. Then I decided to get a Tube
                    preamp, that made the 1072 sound very thin. I sold that and got a Jolida, which was a better match for the preamp.

Rotel products go very well together, once you change your pre/pro you may not like the 1072 that much anymore. You may end up changing the cd player also, like I had to.
                    Greg

Comment

• aud19
                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2003

Or you could splurge and get a Benchmark Dac1
                      Jason

Comment

• audiofan
                        • May 2004

How is the sound when connecting rcd-1072 through Benchmark DAC-1?
                        thanks.

Comment

• NMyTree
                          • May 2004

Rega has a new CD player now called the Rega Apollo. It replaces the Planet. If you shop around a little, you could probably find the Planet brand new for your price range.

The Apollo is roughly $995-$1,000.

The Rega Apollo:

Sorry, we can’t find the page you’re looking for.

The Joilda 100A is a wonderful (tubed) player, but it all depends on what type of sound you prefer. I love the Jolida, but auditioning it first, would be the wise thing to do. For some people, it's not their cup of tea.

The Eastern Electric Minimax CD Player is also a wonderful player, which usually sells within your price range, used on Audiogon. Brand new they run a little over $1,000.

Last edited by NMyTree; 08 February 2006, 09:41 Wednesday.
                          Tony

Comment

• whoaru99
                            • Jul 2004

You should really try just some decent players without external DAC before you decide to spend the extra money.

Better yet, as I and my brother did, gather several different players and try them with and without the external DAC.

I'm not rich, not in the poor house either, and I like gadgets as much as anyone; but I could not justify the DAC1 after hearing the Music Hall CD-25.

Before I get flamed for "bashing" the DAC1 I have to say it sounded fine, just IMO did not seem to be a $1K improvement in all cases.

With one player the sound was really improved, with other players I thought on par, but with the Music Hall, it was better on it's own.

If you need icing on the cake, give it a shot. All you have to put up is the shipping and some time. If, like me, you have no real acoustic treatments for your room, $1K may be better spent there.

Again, all IMO and YMMV.

Try the Music Hall CD-25 though...
                            There are some things which are impossible to know, but it is impossible to know which things these are. :scratchhead:

----JAFFE'S PRECEPT

Comment

• pearsall001
                              • Dec 2005

Check out Opera Audio Consonance Droplet5.0 tube CD player. I've had it for a couple of months now. This player is absolutely incredible.

Comment

• DrJRapp
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Apr 2003

Originally posted by NMyTree
                                Rega has a new CD player now called the Rega Apollo. It replaces the Planet. If you shop around a little, you could probably find the Planet brand new for your price range.

The Apollo is roughly $995-$1,000.

The Rega Apollo:

Sorry, we can’t find the page you’re looking for.

That looks like it could be a winner with those wolfson DACs
                                Jerry Rappaport

Comment

• NMyTree
                                  • May 2004

Originally posted by DrJRapp
                                  That looks like it could be a winner with those wolfson DACs

I'll find out in about 3-4 weeks (and then another 2-3 weeks of listening time). I ordered one last week, but it will take that long before it arrives at my local dealer. Best thing is, I've had a $200 credit with him for about four years, which I had never cashed-in on. But when I heard about this player, I had to give it a listen.

I have several CD Players in my house and with two systems I like to have at least 2-3 CD players, hooked up in each system. I like to have one solidstate player, one tube player and at least one HDCD decoding CDP in each system.

With over one thousand CDs in my collection( which includes over one hundred HDCD discs), I want to make sure I never run out of CD Players....lol :B

By the way Jerry, I have a question for you.

Have you ever had the opportunity to audition or hear the Balanced Audio Technology VK-D5 CD Player? I have some interest in this player for my office system.
                                  Tony

Comment

• JKalman
                                    • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Masters2010
                                    I'm looking to get a cd player to go along with my current set up:
                                    A pair of Spendor Ls3/5a speakers
                                    Meitner Audio STR-50 Amp
                                    Lazarus Cascade Basic Preamp

I would really prefer to buy something new, though I am open to buying used. I'm really just looking for something that would go along well with this set up, and I don't really know how much I could get a decent cd player for. As a guideline, I'd look from 500-750 though that is only a guideline and would look at others as well. Thank you
                                    Yeah, in that price range, the Rotel RCD-1072 is your only choice for new players. As far as used, it isn't really possible to help you out, since I can't predict what players will be around used in that price range on any particular day of the week.

Comment

• abqnmusa
                                      • Jan 2006

I have been happy with the sound quality and reliability of the Rotel RCD-1072 CD player. It has excellent detail on top of silence. That is it is a very clean detailed sound. An amazing player for the cost. Check out the Absolute Sound & Stereophile reviews on Rotels website, or search the web. Highly recommended CD player.

Comment

• cattom89
                                        • Mar 2006

CD Player

I'm positive that Philips CD would be the best solution, especialy if you are able to find model CD 150/160!
                                        The latest model you should look for is CD 850.
                                        All the models after that one are not that quality.
                                        Bare in mind that Studer uses Philips transport in thier models, whic are of course far more expensive!

Comment

• cattom89
                                          • Mar 2006

I'mlooking for a scheme for an old power amplifier Nytech SCXA 252!

Comment

• mdrew
                                            • Feb 2006

[QUOTE=NMyTree]I'll find out in about 3-4 weeks (and then another 2-3 weeks of listening time). I ordered one last week, but it will take that long before it arrives at my local dealer. Best thing is, I've had a $200 credit with him for about four years, which I had never cashed-in on. But when I heard about this player, I had to give it a listen.

Hey Tony,

You ever get this? What do you think?

I'm looking for another CD player to go along with my two mega changers. I love the changers, but there are times when I just want to pop in ONE CD and spin it for a while.

..............will it ever end?

Comment

• NMyTree
                                              • May 2004

Hi Michael.

I haven't received it yet. I guess there's been a delay as Rega produces some more Apollo CDP.

I talked to my dealer on Thursday and he thinks they may be in this upcoming week.

I'll post a review after I get the Apollo and have some time to log at least 50-60 hours of playing time.
                                              Tony

Comment

• Chris D
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Dec 2000

More and more, I'm looking at the new Cambridge Audio player. Looks nice.
                                                CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                - Pleasantville

Comment

• mdrew
                                                  • Feb 2006

Would that be the Azur 640C? Does it come in black? Everything else I have on my rack is black.

I’m currently using two 400 disk mega-changers and the Rotel 1070/1080 combo with a set of Whafedale Opus 2’s (thanks Tony).

I love the mega changers, as I like to hit “all disks random, no-delay”. I’ve got close to 700 CD’s loaded and just love to hear tracks that I haven’t heard for months/years. I’ve got everything from metal to bluegrass to blues to Celtic and more. It’s a real treat to get a mix of genre’s ( I have very eclectic tastes in music ).

But……..they are quite IN-convenient for those times when I just want to listen to “one” CD, or if I buy a new one and want to load it up. For that reason, I’m looking to add another CD player to this system that I can just drop a CD into and spin it up.

I’m using an Integra 8.5 Universal Changer for my DVD player on the seperate HT system, and am either going to move this to my two channel system and buy a different DVD player…..or just bite the bullet and pick up a dedicated single disk CD player.

The Integra plays CDs very well (as far as I can tell), but I haven’t been “Wowed” by its DVD play back performance. That being said, do you guys think that I would be able to tell much of a difference in SQ with a stand alone CD player over the Integra?? After all, it wasn’t exactly cheap. I’m clueless as I haven’t really been exposed to the “higher end” CD players.

Comment

• Chris D
                                                    Moderator Emeritus
                                                    • Dec 2000

Yeah, mdrew, apparently the Azur 640c v2 comes in silver or black.

Since we've been stirring up a lot of talk about the thing lately, here's the link:

http://www.cambridgeaudio.com/summary.php?PID=99&Title=Azur%20640C%20(Version%20 2)%20-%20The%20world's%20best%20budget%20CD%20player%20g ets%20even%20better!

CHRIS

Well, we're safe for now. Thank goodness we're in a bowling alley.
                                                    - Pleasantville

Comment

• audiofan
                                                      • May 2004

I see Azur 640C (version 2) has 24-bit/192kHz DACs. I was just wondering if Rotel rcd-1072 is as well?

How do you compare two players?

thanks.

Comment

• NMyTree
                                                        • May 2004

My Rega Apollo just arrived. Only had time to open up the box and take a look at it. Looks nice.
                                                        Tony

Comment

• mdrew
                                                          • Feb 2006

Am I going to have to buy you a camera to get a pic of it? LOL

Comment

• DifferentLee
                                                            • Apr 2005

I like the Cambridge Audio units also.

Comment

• grit
                                                              • Jan 2005

I'm guessing the Ayre CX-7e is outta yer price range, but perhaps worth a look if you can pick up a used one for less.

Comment

• NMyTree
                                                                • May 2004

Originally posted by mdrew
                                                                Am I going to have to buy you a camera to get a pic of it? LOL
                                                                :B :rofl:

Nah, I'll see if I can borrow a digital camera. Thing is, back on Christmas of 2004, I bought the little woman a $700.00 digital video camera. She's already beat the hell out of it and has it all screwed up. So I refuse to buy another one.......because, obviously, I have better things to spend my money on. Like spending it on the Apollo.....Opus 2......Butler amps :B :B

I'll see what I can do to get you a few pics.
                                                                Tony

Comment

Working...
                                                                😀
                                                                😂
                                                                🥰
                                                                😘
                                                                🤢
                                                                😎
                                                                😞
                                                                😡
                                                                👍
                                                                👎
                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                Search Result for "|||"