X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Masters2010
    • Nov 2005

Upgrade

I posted this in the starting block forum, and now that I look at it, it might be in the wrong place so I decided to repost it here.

A few weeks ago, my dad gave me his set up which he never used anymore. This consisted of:
    A pair of Spendor Ls3/5a speakers
    Meitner Audio STR-50 Amp
    Lazarus Cascade Basic Preamp
    Some crappy 30 dollar cyberhome dvd player

Now my question was, I'm interested in making this set up a little bit better. Do these components work well together or would you suggest something else to go with the speakers. Would a subwoofer be a good addition to the speakers?

Also, if I were upgrade speakers, what would the next level be? I was thinking about the B & W xt4's. Also, I searched for the B & W xt2 on the site and didn't come up with any results, anyone have experience with them? Any help is appreciated. Thanks

Patrick W.
  • Bob
    • Jul 2000

Your weak point is the dvd player. You need a cd player and/or a turntable, unless you only plan on watching movies.

Comment

• Masters2010
      • Nov 2005

It says dvd on it, but it plays cds too. iIs it a combo?

Comment

• Bob
        • Jul 2000

All DVD players play cds also but, in general, not very well.
        Before changing speakers, what have you done to get the most out of the ones you have? Where have you placed them?

Yikes, I just noticed that of the first 10 topics that show up on this forum, I was the last one to post on 5 of them. Sorry, if I have been a thread killer. Surely, someone disagrees with my posts and can give us better info on how to make our audio systems better.

Comment

• Masters2010
          • Nov 2005

I'm not totally sure about changing speakers as much as just making this set up better with what I have. I have no clue how to set up the speakers but currently they are just on my bookshelfs equal distance from my bed. These aren't for watching movies, just listening to my music. I usually sit at my desk, so I'm thinking of buying brackets and putting them on the wall. Is the amp and preamp good with the speakers? Would you recommend a sub with these speakers? I listen to some rock, jazz, and classical, pretty much everything. I just have cds, no vinyls, so what would be a good entry level cd player. I'm not afraid to spend money on it, but I just dont know what is what. Thanks

Comment

• Bob
            • Jul 2000

All the audio "rules" are really just guidlines that work in most cases but, never all.
            My first rule (guideline) is that optimizing the room and speaker placement will have a greater effect than changing any component. However, almost all audio rooms also have another function first and we have to work within those parameters.
            In your case, the room is a bedroom first, a study second, and place to listen to music third. I don't know your layout but, the bookshelves or brackets are probably your only choices. Lucky for you, the Spendors do fairly well in this sort of set up. In a bedroom set up things like soundstage are not as important as clearity and timbre.
            A sub could give you some bass that the spendors lack. If it is an actual musical improvement or just more thumping depends on what sub, how it is crossed over, it's placement, what you think sounds good. If you mean the thumping that you often hear in car audio, just about any sub will give you more than the Spendors themselves. If you mean will a bass instrument sound like a bass instrument, well, that wouldn't be a easy thing to achieve in your system by adding a sub.
            I would stick with my earlier statement, your weakest link is your DVD player. Since improving your speaker placement isn't a real option.
            We can all give you great entry level cd player ideas. But, give us a price range and if you would consider used.
            Last edited by Bob; 27 November 2005, 20:25 Sunday. Reason: correct spelling and typing errors because I can't spell or type

Comment

• Masters2010
              • Nov 2005

I would not consider used and I would do around 400-500 dollars.

Comment

• Masters2010
                • Nov 2005

What would be a good cd system to go with the set up I currently have. Ignoring the price range I set in the last post, what would you recommend to go with the stuff I currently have.

Comment

• Bob
                  • Jul 2000

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls....lay&1138420350, if you were to reconsider used. Why don't you start a new thread that reads something like this:
                  Help me find a affordable CD player.
                  I'm sure that there are many members here that can help you, I'm not one of them because I don't pay much attention to CD players and haven't look to buy one for a long time.

Comment

• BTB
                    • Jan 2006

Hi Masters

Just saw your post in Audio Hideout also... there is a very good response there to your original question, (not that Bob is doing a bad job here at all )

Masters... If you are new to hi-fi, it will be best to start visiting some of your local hi-fi shops and just browsing a little to become familiar with all the products out there... I've been into this game for a while now, so I know that all the choice can be quite daunting. But after a while you will probably be able to develop some type of preference for a few products and brands.

The most important thing is to take your time, there is a lot of good gear out there so these days it's pretty hard to end up with a really poor product. If a entry level CD player up to around $1000 was what you wanted here are a few suggestions in that price range, all pretty good in their own right... see if you can seek a few of them out and see what you think.. (also Google some reviews just to get started)

1) Consonance CD 120 Linear (I own one of these... great product)
                    2) Arcam CD 73T (I just sold one of these to get the Consonance)
                    3) Shanling CD T80 (I think? Check the model number to be sure)
                    4) NAD C542
                    5) Cambridge Audio CD 640 V2

See what you can find, post again... I'll look in on the thread again to see what develops. Good luck, relax, enjoy and above all trust your gut... go with the product YOU like best, not the one that's "supposed" to be the best.

Comment

• David Meek
                      Moderator Emeritus
                      • Aug 2000

Just a thought: Whatever you choose make sure that when you purchase it, there is a good return policy so that once you get it home, if it isn't what you want you can try another unit without losing money. Most reputable dealers will work with you on something like this if you discuss it with them up front.

I'm not sure about choices 1 & 2, but the Shanling has been getting some good press along with the Cambridge, and NAD has a been a favorite of mine in the bang-for-the-buck category for many years.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• BTB
                        • Jan 2006

Originally posted by David Meek

I'm not sure about choices 1 & 2,...
                        The Arcam has won many an award in the UK press and the Consonance has just recieved the (UK mag) Hi Fi + "Product of the year" award. It would be a pity to disregard these two fine options in this price category.

That said... I guess you mean you don't have personal experience with these models?

Comment

• Boombox
                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by BTB

1) Consonance CD 120 Linear (I own one of these... great product)
                          Considering its price, there is nothing that beats this player......

Not considering its price, there are few 'higher-ended' ones that better it....
                          Last edited by Boombox; 30 November 2006, 01:23 Thursday.
                          Regards :T,

Boom....a.k.a...."The Box"

Comment

• David Meek
                            Moderator Emeritus
                            • Aug 2000

Originally posted by BTB
                            I guess you mean you don't have personal experience with these models?
                            That's what "I'm not sure about. . ." means.

David - Trigger-happy HTGuide Admin

Comment

• chinets
                              • Jun 2005

Have you considered LINN or TEAC a brands: These are top end players!

Bang for the Buck price: Rotel RCD 1072... How about that if you don't want to spend a bundle.

The forum have already touched on the Shanling ,arcam and Nad so I think you have feed back there too.

Why don't you go and audition all these players with the same gear, so your ears can establish which sounds better to you. That is what I would do ,as only your ears will figure out which will have a sound that is to your liking ,and you might not have to buy the more expensive player, if you feel that there is not much difference between the sound of the more expensive player In comparison to the cheaper player ,then you could save $$$$ and get something you might really need. Do I make sense?

You might surprise yourself ,and find you like the sound of the cheaper player more than the expensive one, or find little difference in sound to justify the extra $$$$ you will be paying.

Good Luck and Keep us posted.
                              Cheers

Comment

Working...
                              Searching...Please wait.
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                              Search Result for "|||"