What's a reasonable budget for fronts using RSX 1056 and RB-1080?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DUCKY
    • Nov 2005

What's a reasonable budget for fronts using RSX 1056 and RB-1080?

Gents,

I am looking to upgrade my stereo speakers. I am currently using a self made Seas Scanspeak set (called 'the standard'). They are quite good and have awesome lows but I am looking for more refinement in the highs. I have very sensitive hearing (I hear high pitched sounds very well that my friend and colleagues can't hear at all). The 'standard' set me back about 750 USD in materials.

Although I am building a 5.1 set, my main priority for quality of sound is for music which I listen to in stereo.

My current total set are 'the standard' fronts, a self made VIFA center speaker and I just added two Monitor Audio RS1 speakers as rears. I was blown away by the sound from these little speakers, certainly at the price.

Now for the question. Whilst listening to several speakers and reading reviews. I am tempted to go higher and higher into the high end speakers. For me spending anything up from 2500 USD on speakers is still very frightening.

I used to think it made sense to spend around the same amount on speakers as on your amp. So that would give me a budget of around 1600 USD only counting the 1080 and a little over 3000 USD if I include the cost of the 1056. What sounds fair to you guys? What would you consider a balanced cost of amp and speakers and can you recommend speakers with very refined highs in that budget?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Lennart
  • Kevin D
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Oct 2002

Moved here since it's more speaker related.

I personally don't think you can make any associations with price. Today you have amps that perform as well as higher priced ones and speakers that perform worse than lower priced ones. Hopefully you will get some recommendations and let your ears decide.

Kevin D.

Comment

• csuzor
      • Nov 2004

I asked a similar question here http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthread.php4?t=16190
      and would now simplistically conclude, speakers should be about 60% of total cost of an Audio system, and about 40% for an A/V system.

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

I'd say anywhere from $1500-$2500 (and up if you have the $$ ) for you would be good.

I like models from B&W, Energy, PSB, Paradigm, Totem an Vienna Acoustics myself
        Jason

Comment

• Bob
          • Jul 2000

Kevin is right, price doesn't always translate to what sounds best to you. I was prepared to spend up to double what my speakers cost. Just couldn't find any that sounded better to me in the price range I was looking at.
          I don't think you can think in terms of percentages in regards to what part of your system costs what. I have a simple two channel system(see profile), one turntable, a moderate CD player, a preamp, amps, and speakers. No surround sound or multiple speakers and my speakers only represent about 30% of the total cost, less if you throw in room treatments. It seems to sound o'k to me.
          In choosing your speakers you should decide what you can afford and then go listen to speakers in that price range, and below. If you have friends that have speakers that you like but, are out of your price range, consider used. Although, I would be reluctant to buy from anyone so far away that you can't drive there to pick them up.
          Also, in regards to buying used. Please don't go to a dealer and waste his time showing you speakers that you intend to buy used over the internet. Unless, you at least purchase other items from him.
          If you ask here what to buy in a certain price range, everybody will tell you to buy whatever they already own. Including me, so buy Vandersteen. You can get new 2ce's in your price range or used 3A's

Comment

• thyname
            • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Bob
            If you ask here what to buy in a certain price range, everybody will tell you to buy whatever they already own. Including me, so buy Vandersteen.
            .. so am I: buy Axioms. I own Axiom M60s with Rotel RB-1080, RC-1070 and RCD-1072 in a stereo setup. I love my system! It would be great if you can find somebody in your area to audition the Axiom (they are a Canadian internet company), so did I , and was sold. You can go to www.axiomaudio.com/boards to find somebody for audition under "Hearing things" thread. Or you can get them shipped free to your house, to audition them with your own gear. The only thing you pay is the shipping back if you are not satisfied. They cost USD 900 shipped free. Now, if you have the money get B&W 703s for around USD 3,000 or Paradigm Studio 100 for around USD 2,300.

Comment

• aud19
              Twin Moderator Emeritus
              • Aug 2003

OK... Buy Energy's! :lol:
              Jason

Comment

• soundhound
                • Mar 2004

Klipsch

Comment

• gd
                  • Jan 2003

Monitor Audio... esp since you already have positive experience with the brand.

Totem Acoustic is also a cut above.

And yet another shoutout for Vandersteen.

Is there a sub in your setup?
                  greg (gd to you)
                  Without music to decorate it, time is just a bunch of boring
                  production deadlines or dates by which bills must be paid.

Frank Zappa

Comment

• theMaximus
                    • Jul 2004

I would highly recommend B&W 704s ($2200 US MSRP). You would probably able to get them for about $2000. I have RSX-1056 and RMB 1070 with 704s, and I absolutely love how they sound.
                    Victory Shall Be Mine!!! :heh:

Comment

• Bob
                      • Jul 2000

See, I told you everyone would start reccomending whatever their present speaker was.

Comment

• thyname
                        • Jan 2005

Originally posted by Bob
                        See, I told you everyone would start reccomending whatever their present speaker was.
                        Yes, it is true, but I actually recommended speakers other than mine in addition to my Axioms However I felt that the difference in price between those two models and my Axioms was much higher than the difference in quality. It is all about budget, best bang for the buck, and that's always individual.

Comment

• audiofan
                          • May 2004

I have Totem Forrest which paired pretty well with Rotel RC-1070, RB-1080. However, i will soon move to Musical Fidelity integrated Amp A5.

Comment

• RebelMan
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by audiofan
                            I have Totem Forrest which paired pretty well with Rotel RC-1070, RB-1080. However, i will soon move to Musical Fidelity integrated Amp A5.
                            Have you heard Bryston with the Totem Forests??? I can't say that I have heard the MF's but I have the Brystons. I couldn't believe how good they were. In fact they put my 803S's with the Arcam FMJ
                            's to shame. I almost regreted getting the 803S's until I realized the power behind that sweetness was all about the Brystons. Listen to them if you can.
                            "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• RebelMan
                              Ultra Senior Member
                              • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Bob
                              If you ask here what to buy in a certain price range, everybody will tell you to buy whatever they already own. Including me, so buy Vandersteen. You can get new 2ce's in your price range or used 3A's
                              Jason didn't and I second every one of his suggestions.
                              "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• DUCKY
                                • Nov 2005

Is there a sub in your setup?
                                There is no sub yet, because currently both my fronts and center have very good lows.

I auditioned a couple of speakers yesterday, among others the MA reference 60 and the B&W 804s. I must say the MA's didn't really float my boat. There seemed to be a hint of echo in the vocals. Nice clean sound though, but since I love vocal (jazz) music (Ella Fitzgerald, Harry Connick, Norah Jones, Diana Krall etc) this worries me a bit. The vocals in the tiny RS1 seem better somehow. The 804s's sounded right to me. Crisp high and decent lows but somehow I am still hoping to be pleasantly shocked by a set of speakers. Somehow I feel the extra 3500 USD (compared to my current set) should give me a bigger increase in sound quality. Damn my homemade speakers
                                If only they sounded much worse, the choise would be so much easier.

Thanks for the suggestions! I will have to try the Vandersteen, Axioms and Klipsch....

I will keep you guys posted.

Lennart

Comment

• thyname
                                  • Jan 2005

Are you giving up your Rotels??? Do you think that an integrated amp would sound better for 2 channel music than your Rotel separates?!

Comment

• Bob
                                    • Jul 2000

I am still hoping to be pleasantly shocked by a set of speakers
                                    Be careful of any speakers that really grab your attention by sounding different from the rest at first listen. Go back several times and really listen for the characteristics that you want from a speaker, and listen for at least a hour.
                                    Speakers that really sound like music (i.e. the piano sounds like a piano, the stand up bass sounds like a stand up bass, etc.) often sound a little bland at first listen compared to speakers that are made to be overly bright or with unrealistic sounding bass.

Comment

• aud19
                                      Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Bob
                                      Be careful of any speakers that really grab your attention by sounding different from the rest at first listen. Go back several times and really listen for the characteristics that you want from a speaker, and listen for at least a hour.
                                      Speakers that really sound like music (i.e. the piano sounds like a piano, the stand up bass sounds like a stand up bass, etc.) often sound a little bland at first listen compared to speakers that are made to be overly bright or with unrealistic sounding bass.
                                      Good advice there :T I agree, all "good" speakers will sound "good". You just have do decide which brand/model of "good" you prefer for the money... that's the tricky part! :lol:
                                      Jason

Comment

• audiofan
                                        • May 2004

I have never heard of Bryston, but MF

MF integrated amp A5 is basically two monobocks in one box. I wish i could go with separate MF, but my budget is limited. So, i will stick with integrated amp until i have enough budget for MF separate.

Comment

• aud19
                                          Twin Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Aug 2003

NEVER HEARD OF BRYSTON??!?!?!?! :E :scratchhead:
                                          Jason

Comment

• philly boy
                                            • Jul 2005

I ditto the recommendation of Vandersteen. Very natural sounding, lets you hear the recording without coloration. They take time to break in, but the wait is well worth it. I live in Vandersteen heaven.---Philip

Comment

• audiofan
                                              • May 2004

I mean i haven't listened to Bryston yet...

Comment

• alebonau
                                                Moderator Emeritus
                                                • Oct 2005

I have never heard of Bryston, but MF

MF integrated amp A5 is basically two monobocks in one box. I wish i could go with separate MF, but my budget is limited. So, i will stick with integrated amp until i have enough budget for MF separate.
                                                The mf integrated is in a completely differnt league to the rotel combo your talking about. Improved clarity/definition, sound stage, openess and a lot more slam & bite. Very differnt sounding though than the rotels I would have thought. Make sure you demo with the speakers in question to ensure its what your after.

I had a listen to the a5 integrated and then I made the mistake of listenign to the mf A5 separates - theyre on a whole different level again !

you might want to check some posts in the club mf section
                                                "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• alebonau
                                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                                  • Oct 2005

Originally posted by alebonau
                                                  The mf integrated is in a completely differnt league to the rotel combo your talking about. Improved clarity/definition, sound stage, openess and a lot more slam & bite. Very differnt sounding though than the rotels I would have thought. Make sure you demo with the speakers in question to ensure its what your after.

I had a listen to the a5 integrated and then I made the mistake of listenign to the mf A5 separates - theyre on a whole different level again !

you might want to check some posts in the club mf section
                                                  http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...1&page=1&pp=35
                                                  re speakers to go with the mf I heard them with pmc fb1 and ob1 both very special speakers and not sure if available where you are. A very natural sound and good match to the mf's.
                                                  "Technology is a drug. We can't get enough of it."

Comment

• Bob
                                                    • Jul 2000

Now that we have "informed" you with all our prejudicial, and pretty much worthless advice, let us know what you decide to do. Especially, do you still think that there is a formula for how much you should spend on any particular peice of audio gear.

Comment

Working...
                                                    😀
                                                    😂
                                                    🥰
                                                    😘
                                                    🤢
                                                    😎
                                                    😞
                                                    😡
                                                    👍
                                                    👎
                                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                    Search Result for "|||"